NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Go white at home and stop having alternates. Most of them are bad.

14817_thisthis.jpg

No no no and no. It's bad enough this retro fad has all but destroyed creativity in jersey design. Having just two jerseys for each team would be an absolute bore. The alternate jersey is a great opportunity for teams to expand their identity and think outside the box. There have been lots of great ones in the pre-edge era as well as today.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't apply to the current season, but I've come across something that might possibly be a hint at a third jersey we could see in the future. While searching online for Preds apparel from a well known Tennessean sports store, I found they were selling navy "alternate" player tees using the "NP" logo. Is Reebok producing player tees like this (unlike the actual jerseys) common across the NHL?

PAMIABPNBIIPKHKHt.jpgPAMIABLGHFOIKHKHt.jpg

Link since a thumbnail is the best I can do for embedding an image of it.

This store is easily the best place to find anything Preds outside of the Arena Pro Shop. They sell the same player tees you find there, and that's why I consider it possibly legitimate. Now I realize there's little chance this means anything, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there and see what everyone thinks of the possibility of this logo and color scheme for the NOB/number on a third jersey. Who knows, this might actually be a major find.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

Having just two jerseys for each team would be an absolute bore. The alternate jersey is a great opportunity for teams to expand their identity and think outside the box.

Identities don't need "expanding," which ends up being diluting (Minnesota Wild). Be creative and "outside the box" with a pair of sweaters that look like they were designed together. Not much to ask.

And on the contrary, I can't think of many alternates before or after Edge that I really like as alternates. Calgary's throwback should be the basis for a regular set, but so many thirds just end up redundant and second-rate (Sharks black, Leafs throwback, Canucks stick-rink) or outright ugly and detracting (Penguins double-blue, Panthers double-blue, Blue Jackets double-blue).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Having just two jerseys for each team would be an absolute bore. The alternate jersey is a great opportunity for teams to expand their identity and think outside the box.

Identities don't need "expanding," which ends up being diluting (Minnesota Wild). Be creative and "outside the box" with a pair of sweaters that look like they were designed together. Not much to ask.

And on the contrary, I can't think of many alternates before or after Edge that I really like as alternates. Calgary's throwback should be the basis for a regular set, but so many thirds just end up redundant and second-rate (Sharks black, Leafs throwback, Canucks stick-rink) or outright ugly and detracting (Penguins double-blue, Panthers double-blue, Blue Jackets double-blue).

Bruins Back in Blacks, Bruins Pooh Bears...

In case anyone cares, I'm all for white-at-home. For all sports. I just like the white jerseys better. For all sports.

spacer.png

Minnesota's original Iron Range Red jersey worked great as an alternate. Same with New Yorks Lady Liberty, Colorado's burgundy with diagonal script, Senators black pre-edge with the peace tower shoulder patch, and Atlanta's original powder blue pre-edge. All great changes of pace that expanded the teams identities successfully.

I'll agree that todays alternates are lacking though there still are a few good ones. Sabres fauxback (just ditch the nameplate), Sharks black, Canucks stick and rink (awesome jersey don't get what there isn't to like) and the Rangers and Senators heritage jerseys.

i'd probably be more okay with dark at home if the stars home jerseys were better...

it gets really really old having an all black versus white-with-black-pants game almost every time i go to american airlines center.

Any news on the Stars jersey front? Is that alternate you were talking about last year ever going to see the light of day?

the alternate was scrapped, because the interim team president didn't feel comfortable green lighting it without an owner in place... now that there IS an owner in place, all plans should be moving forward.. but the vibe i'm getting is less for a green alternate, and more for a new home and road, with green as the primary color... but don't expect it to be kelly.

also, brett hull's contract expired and was not renewed, so any involvement he had may be completely gone now. he's just a professional stars fan now, i think.

maybe grasping at straws, but most stars team graphics/web graphics/advertisements are black and tan. however as soon as tom gaglardi came in as the new owner, all those team graphics turned green and yellow. bright green and yellow. including the ads that say "you spoke, we listened" about lower ticket prices.

tommy g. is a hockey man first and foremost, and even practiced with jamie benn, joe nieuwendyk, and glen gulutzan a few weeks back. he knows whats up, and he seems pretty tuned in to what the fans want... so i'm not worried.

green will return, and the crest will be on the chest. how soon? that just depends on when the deadlines are to make the changes.

This doesn't apply to the current season, but I've come across something that might possibly be a hint at a third jersey we could see in the future. While searching online for Preds apparel from a well known Tennessean sports store, I found they were selling navy "alternate" player tees using the "NP" logo. Is Reebok producing player tees like this (unlike the actual jerseys) common across the NHL?

PAMIABPNBIIPKHKHt.jpgPAMIABLGHFOIKHKHt.jpg

Link since a thumbnail is the best I can do for embedding an image of it.

This store is easily the best place to find anything Preds outside of the Arena Pro Shop. They sell the same player tees you find there, and that's why I consider it possibly legitimate. Now I realize there's little chance this means anything, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there and see what everyone thinks of the possibility of this logo and color scheme for the NOB/number on a third jersey. Who knows, this might actually be a major find.

FWIW, I know Sport Seasons has been known to custom order Preds merch straight from Reebok, such as hats and such that aren't available even in the Bridgestone Arena Pro Shop. That being said, these "shirseys" don't look half bad, and IDK that I've ever seen them custom order such a player-related item before.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

When your team is on the road you want them to show their identity. Be proud. Wear your colours. Everyone in the rink knows who the home team is, so wear white. I actually like the Canucks' white jersey over their blue one, so its suits me fine!

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Actually, that would satisfy no one and be silly. That's an idea best left in the minors, where many fans can't see their team on TV, and don't get to see both sets in action on the ice.

I prefer white at home, but I'm fine with color at home, because of the issue caused by alternates. Remember that nowadays, in addition to the alternate jerseys, many teams also have alternate helmets, shells, and socks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Minnesota's original Iron Range Red jersey worked great as an alternate. Same with New Yorks Lady Liberty, Colorado's burgundy with diagonal script, Senators black pre-edge with the peace tower shoulder patch, and Atlanta's original powder blue pre-edge. All great changes of pace that expanded the teams identities successfully.

One of my Unpopular Opinionsâ„¢ is that the Lady Liberty sweater is terrible: the use of a blue that is not the Rangers' blue, the addition of Techno Team 2000 Silver, and the terrible NYR lettering. Ideally, Lady Liberty without all that garbage would be some sort of fashion-only logo, unworn by the actual team. I'm fine keeping things with classic colors and diagonal drop-shadowed italic. To be fair, I hate the Rags' actual primary. That one guy here whose name is a bunch of consonants strung together, like rvsdgvgn or whatever, made a really terrific update that used the classic Ranger-style lettering on the crest so that it matched the sweaters and wasn't just plain white lettering at a 45-degree angle.

The Senators' black with laurel-leaf trim was so fantastic that it should've been the base for their home and away, which is the other problem with alternates: sometimes they're too good and either do transcend their status as such or just outclass the extant regular designs. All the credit in the world to the Sens for coming up with that, all of it squandered by keeping the swooshy garbage as the main sweater. That one successfully expanded their identity, but should've successfully contracted it by eliminating the boring whites, the swoosh, the 3-D head, and the uninspired "S" secondary.

I'll agree that todays alternates are lacking though there still are a few good ones. Sabres fauxback (just ditch the nameplate), Sharks black, Canucks stick and rink (awesome jersey don't get what there isn't to like) and the Rangers and Senators heritage jerseys.

The problem with the neo-stick-in-rink is that it's virtually identical to their regular home jersey but for logos and some minute changes to striping that only we and Canucks fans pick up on. It's not bad, just redundant. Oh, and the neo-stick-in-rink is a horrid primary, there's that. Johnny Canuck V on the front with NSIR or the heretofre-unused VC on the shoulders would look terrific.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the alternate was scrapped, because the interim team president didn't feel comfortable green lighting it without an owner in place... now that there IS an owner in place, all plans should be moving forward.. but the vibe i'm getting is less for a green alternate, and more for a new home and road, with green as the primary color... but don't expect it to be kelly.

also, brett hull's contract expired and was not renewed, so any involvement he had may be completely gone now. he's just a professional stars fan now, i think.

maybe grasping at straws, but most stars team graphics/web graphics/advertisements are black and tan. however as soon as tom gaglardi came in as the new owner, all those team graphics turned green and yellow. bright green and yellow. including the ads that say "you spoke, we listened" about lower ticket prices.

tommy g. is a hockey man first and foremost, and even practiced with jamie benn, joe nieuwendyk, and glen gulutzan a few weeks back. he knows whats up, and he seems pretty tuned in to what the fans want... so i'm not worried.

green will return, and the crest will be on the chest. how soon? that just depends on when the deadlines are to make the changes.

Very disappointed the Kelly green alt will never see the light of day, I'm sure that would have been a spectacular design. On the other hand I'm glad The Stars will finally be getting new home and road. I just hope they don't do what Florida did and make minor alterations to their current Edge jerseys (ie: take the current template, make it green and apply the logo on the front). I want to see hem stripes, colours similar to their cup jerseys and a return of the Texas shoulder patch.

The lack of hem striping is the only thing I've never liked about the current Dallas set.

As it is, they're the only team in the league with a script crest. But, as is the problem with all navy/black, no-hem sets, the uniform looks way too dreary and bland thanks to no gold/green/white to break it up. This is the same problem that ruins the Bruins otherwise-fine alternate as well (well, that and the black socks).

spacer.png

Archived