NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Rangers will wear their Winter Classic sweaters against Philly at MSG on Sunday.

Flyers playing along? Or regular orange?

That I do not know.

Looks like the regular oranges to me.

EDIT: just reminded myself of what they wore for the Classic. Definitely wearing the regulars today.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still say the NHL should allow color vs. color when appropriate.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

NFL - one game a week.

NHL - lengthy roadtrips. Packing multiple sets to travel in.

It doesn't work out the same way, at all.

It could easily be worked out prior to the season. It is not THAT much extra work. Caps, Leafs, and Habs have all worn two separate jerseys during different road trips this year. They often don't wear the exact same jerseys each game on the road trip anyways. They get damaged and stained a lot.

i don't mean to make it sound like the stars kelly green alternate will never see the light of day. it very well might.

i just know that it was shelved until after the new owner took over. so now that he's taken over, who knows what will happen to it. depends on how he likes it, i guess.

Colour v colour is usually never appropriate on tv.

If the colours contrast enough it'll work. Especially in the HD era.

I think there would need to be some rules on that, maybe going so far as to have a committee decide which jerseys can play against which other jerseys, so we never have something like orange vs yellow, blue vs black, red vs orange, etc.

Have the Predators played the Flyers in Nashville yet? The orange on the Flyers' shoulders vs the yellow of the Preds just seems like a tv nightmare to me

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

A thought regarding color versus color, but I mean white uniform versus white ice: we gotta stop overlighting rinks or painting them bright white or something. One of the things I noticed while the Blackhawks were getting violently sodomized on Thursday night was that their road whites stood out particularly well against Edmonton's ice, which seems to be vaguely bluish-grey and kind of dull (except on fresh ice, when it is overly reflective). More rinks should look like this. Sometimes the brightness is so amped up that I can't see the faceoff circles very well. This isn't just my television; I notice it elsewhere.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Colour v colour is usually never appropriate on tv.

If the colours contrast enough it'll work. Especially in the HD era.

I think there would need to be some rules on that, maybe going so far as to have a committee decide which jerseys can play against which other jerseys, so we never have something like orange vs yellow, blue vs black, red vs orange, etc.

Have the Predators played the Flyers in Nashville yet? The orange on the Flyers' shoulders vs the yellow of the Preds just seems like a tv nightmare to me

PREDATORS VS. FLYERS JANUARY 14, 2012

Eh. I didn't think it looked that terrible.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

A thought regarding color versus color, but I mean white uniform versus white ice: we gotta stop overlighting rinks or painting them bright white or something. One of the things I noticed while the Blackhawks were getting violently sodomized on Thursday night was that their road whites stood out particularly well against Edmonton's ice, which seems to be vaguely bluish-grey and kind of dull (except on fresh ice, when it is overly reflective). More rinks should look like this. Sometimes the brightness is so amped up that I can't see the faceoff circles very well. This isn't just my television; I notice it elsewhere.

I agree with this. I love MSG's lighting, and used to love the old Spectrum lighting. Once they moved in to what is now the Wells Fargo Center, the Flyers made a major effort to improve the lighting, which turned to "increase" the lighting, creating what is IMO too bright of a surface (at least during the broadcasts.)

Someone asked the new Sixers CEO if they could dim the lights in the crowd during Sixers games like back in the day and he replied that it was specifically built to be super bright and it would require a multi-million dollar lighting upgrade to make it dimable, which as tenants, they can't demand.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They don't leave the house lights up when you see a play or a movie. Why should they for a sporting event?

The ice surface should be a pale shade of blue like one of the ones on our board skin here. Just barely not white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NHL experimented with this during the lockout, but nothing happened with it. I agree with you, though, sometimes the ice is painfully bright on an HDTV.

2005-03-15-blueice1.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2005-03-21-blue-ice_x.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2014167

Archived