NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

A thought regarding color versus color, but I mean white uniform versus white ice: we gotta stop overlighting rinks or painting them bright white or something. One of the things I noticed while the Blackhawks were getting violently sodomized on Thursday night was that their road whites stood out particularly well against Edmonton's ice, which seems to be vaguely bluish-grey and kind of dull (except on fresh ice, when it is overly reflective). More rinks should look like this. Sometimes the brightness is so amped up that I can't see the faceoff circles very well. This isn't just my television; I notice it elsewhere.

The NHL experimented with this during the lockout, but nothing happened with it. I agree with you, though, sometimes the ice is painfully bright on an HDTV.

2005-03-15-blueice1.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2005-03-21-blue-ice_x.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2014167

That looks terrible with Buffalo's old logo... sure it'd work better for other teams but that is an eyesore.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A thought regarding color versus color, but I mean white uniform versus white ice: we gotta stop overlighting rinks or painting them bright white or something. One of the things I noticed while the Blackhawks were getting violently sodomized on Thursday night was that their road whites stood out particularly well against Edmonton's ice, which seems to be vaguely bluish-grey and kind of dull (except on fresh ice, when it is overly reflective). More rinks should look like this. Sometimes the brightness is so amped up that I can't see the faceoff circles very well. This isn't just my television; I notice it elsewhere.

The NHL experimented with this during the lockout, but nothing happened with it. I agree with you, though, sometimes the ice is painfully bright on an HDTV.

2005-03-15-blueice1.jpg

I remember this. But couldn't they use the regular colors for lines? Make the blue a bit darker if you have to.

post/avatar combo.

That blue ice looks like it would be so much easier on the eyes than bright white. I might make it a little less bright, even. What's with the yellow lines, though? Odd, not necessary.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2005-03-15-blueice1.jpg

Or maybe something like this? It's a picture from 2007 from a French Ligue Magnus-game between Rouen and Dijon.

But I have never seen a problem with the ice myself, even not in Finland, allthough we have the jerseys and ice filled up with ads (not as bad as in Czech Republic or Switzerland though).

800px-RouenDijonSeptembre2007.jpg

That looks perfect (except for the puzzling white faceoff circle). Red and blue look fine against it. You're not staring at white. What's not to like?

• 2 weeks later...

(not counting the score) tonight's Rangers/Blackhawks game is a thing of uniform beauty.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Bring back Lady Liberty. Those alts were better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I liked the Lady Liberty NYR alts.

Also, I don't like the dimmer lights as one who is usually in the nosebleeds. I find I have less eye strain when the building is lit up better. Recently at a Grizzlies game they turned on extra lights after the game and I thought, why couldn't these have been on all night!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Bring back Lady Liberty. Those alts were better.

Don't fall in love with every alt you see.

I sing this to myself literally every time you guys talk about that sweater

I'm not suggesting that it replace their normal uniforms, but it's a great alt.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I really like these NYR alternates in action.

Not a fan of Vintage White (as you can see in my sig) but it really works for the Rangers alternate. Makes their primaries look bad.

Your sig means you don't like vintage white? For some reason it made me think the opposite.

Sarcasm my friend, The Canucks would look ridiculous if they adopted it.

Archived