NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

I hate the Oilers vintage colors. They look damn cartoony in real life and HD. The post-lockout ones were bad too but the colors are so much more promising. The old third jersey w/ the gear would be an awesome base for a home and away set if it were tweaked a little bit and some bronze was added.

Teams have no originality anymore, they just go back to old looks. It's not that I don't like vintage looks I just hate the lack of originality.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in the massive 2010-11 thread back on Sept. 6. I maintain that it's likely the best Panthers fans can hope for:

Quote:

Although I know this is more NHL 2011-2012 than 2010-11, based on the details from the earlier report (quoted above), I'm guessing that these mockups represent the BEST-case scenario for the Panthers' upcoming redesign?

4964053506_ec5274321e.jpg4963454421_dbaf006e16.jpg

(All logos and templates courtesy of CCSLC.)

Not bad. But I hope they use the hockey-stick less Panther. That leaping attacking Florida Panther looks great on its own. It doesn't need the cheesy hockey sticks. Its like they are saying Hey look at us. We are a hockey team. Note the broken pieces of hockey sticks we added to the panthers paws?

Bleh.

I hope they keep that "Fla/Sun" logo on the helmets and pants. I know it looks like something you would see stamped on the side of a crate of oranges, but goshdarnit I like that logo.

I agree. I prefer the stickless Panther. And also red. But this mockup is based on what the Miami Herald beat writer heard back in August, so the stick likely stays. Better than the circle...

I hate the Oilers vintage colors. They look damn cartoony in real life and HD. The post-lockout ones were bad too but the colors are so much more promising. The old third jersey w/ the gear would be an awesome base for a home and away set if it were tweaked a little bit and some bronze was added.

Teams have no originality anymore, they just go back to old looks. It's not that I don't like vintage looks I just hate the lack of originality.

I loved the Oilers pre edge jerseys, what ever idiot approved the horrible edge jerseys that they now should be fired. That was the biggest down grade, that has not been fixed.

Disagree. The Oilers vintage colours look bright and vibrant. In fact I don't ever remember those jerseys looking as great as they do on the ice today. The Midnight Blue and Copper on the other hand looks muddy and dated. The copper works when its metallic like the oildrop on the crest but when its a mat colour like on the stripes and socks it almost appears brown.

I posted this in the massive 2010-11 thread back on Sept. 6. I maintain that it's likely the best Panthers fans can hope for:

Quote:

Although I know this is more NHL 2011-2012 than 2010-11, based on the details from the earlier report (quoted above), I'm guessing that these mockups represent the BEST-case scenario for the Panthers' upcoming redesign?

The Panthers are using the circle logo too much on their website. I think we all know what it's going to be. :cursing:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I just wanted to note that with all these vintage and throwback style jerseys, that 2012 will be Toronto's 95th anniversary. Perhaps they will use an alternate jersey based on the Arenas or St. Pats styles. In 5 years, they may do a few alternates like the Canadiens did for their century mark.

believew.jpg

what ever idiot approved the horrible edge jerseys that they now should be fired.

Patrick LaForge.

"It was meant to be a sort of a Baltimore Ravens look," he said.

"A full black body from the ankles to the top, above the ankles and below the shoulders. A solid blue color," said LaForge.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Jones/2007/10/28/4612259-sun.html

*facepalm*

Still don't know why the hell Florida is using baby blue. Stick to red, navy blue and yellow/gold for accents. More red, the better.

And the new Oilers away jersey will probably be a carbon-copy of their current, except white.

I agree. I like that since Reebok took over, teams have experimented with their looks. Some teams pulled it off better than others, but they were still original. Now that teams are going back to their vintage jerseys, it's as if teams are digressing with their looks. Maybe in a couple years where teams will want to "shake things up," jerseys like this and this will pop up once more, kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy of the 90s.

OttawaSenators.png

Quote:

This template would fit Tampa Bay much better actually. It's like Miami is trying to go for the Rays look.

*Images of favorite sports teams/players*

Weren't there rumors that the Penguins had an entirely new blue 3rd jersey either scrapped or put on hold this year because they got awarded the Winter Classic? I remember seeing lots of reports that the powder blue jersey was dead after last season and that they had something totally new in store for this year but when it became official that they were getting the Winter Classic they held onto the powder blue for one more year since they didn't want to introduce too many jerseys at once.

i'm holding off on buying an actual authentic stars jersey until i see how this alternate looks. if it's as good as it has potential to be, i'm going to try and justify dropping a few hundred for a jamie benn authentic with the wifey. -crosses fingers... twice.-

I love my white Stars (not "DALLAS") authentic Toby Petersen jersey. I wore it to the game in Columbus a couple seasons ago that they won 7-3 and the few random Stars fans I saw there were very impressed.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Bingo. This is the main problem I have with teams.

I really hope the Isles go with orange. I loved their previous orange jerseys and really like orange in their color scheme. That being said, I wouldn't be that mad if they went with a black third. I'd MUCH MORE prefer orange though.

I hope the Pens get rid of the awful blue.

I hope the Lightning don't get rid of a black jersey from their set, I like black as a color for them. 2 blue would be stupid.

Hope the Preds have something cool, and glad to see the Sens and Thrashers scrapping their bad thirds. Hope Dallas gets rid of their basketball jerseys too.

I read these are mostly speculative, and not often compeltely reliable.

2 other wishes I have is a black third for the Devils, and Liberty return for the Rangers.

2ly2w09.jpg

Icethetics just posted this. Someone found it at a Preds charity auction.

0116-nsh-limited.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

While I don't mind those jerseys, I don't like that the NHL's teams seem to be all using more and more similar color schemes. Which makes me think, It'd be really cool to see a graph on a color spectrum of where all the teams fall. So many blacks, blues, and reds, not enough yellow, purple, green, brown, etc. I'm looking at you, Mr. Pantone.

You assume "originality" will result in good uniforms. That is not a given. Those gear/robot sperm Oilers thirds you like? Those were original, but they weren't good. If anything it's the perfect case of "trying to hard."

If the vintage Oilers colours are anything, they're vibrant. To many teams have dark colour schemes these days. A team or two wearing vibrant colours is nice to see. Plus they represent the team's high point, the Gretzky/dynasty years.

I'll meet you halfway though. The pre-EDGE look, the navy, copper, and light red, was the perfect look for the Oilers if returning to the vintage look isn't an option.

Anyway random thoughts on the changes....

The Leafs new alt will probably be either a blue version of their current throwback white or a throwback to their blue 1967 blue sweaters. I hope they don't go with one of their green designs. Green needs to be kept out of the current Leafs look.

The Senators will probably go with something that invokes the barbepole look, but it won't be one itself.

The Panthers seem determined to continually mess up their look. Going to the double blue look would be sad, but par for the course for this team.

The Thrashers? Does it even matter? Their identity has elements that work, but they've never been able to pull it together. This will just be one more entry in the Thrashers' history of mismatching looks.

I hope the Stars go with a kelly green, athletic gold, and black alternate.

Good to hear the Oilers are getting their act together.

The Islanders are going with a black alternate? Why?

The Predators' change seems lateral. Though I applaud the expanded use of the checkered theme.

The Kings going to black and silver full time would be nice. Using the pencil alternate logo, however, would be a mistake. Just recolour the current crown logo. I hope they stay away from purple and gold.

You assume "originality" will result in good uniforms. That is not a given. Those gear/robot sperm Oilers thirds you like? Those were original, but they weren't good. If anything it's the perfect case of "trying to hard."

If the vintage Oilers colours are anything, they're vibrant. To many teams are to dark these days. A team or two wearing vibrant colours is nice to see. Plus they represent the team's high point, the Gretzky/dynasty years.

I'll meet you halfway though. The pre-EDGE look, the navy, copper, and light red, was the perfect look for the Oilers if returning to the vintage look isn't an option.

"Good" is an opinion. The reasons I like that look and hate their current orange and blue may be the exact reasons that you feel the opposite.

I never said that originality would result in good uniforms, I said that I wish teams would try something new rather than going back to a "hey, remember when we were relevant" look like the Islanders and Oilers have. Do I think too many teams are too similar looking today? Yes. Do I think that there's a better solution than simply turning back the clock? Hell yes.

Opinions aside, those Edmonton vintage colors under today's lighting and TV standards are retina searing bad. From the jerseys to the gloves to the goalie pads they are terrible. Ignore what I said earlier about opinions, this is a fact. (To me at least) :P^_^

You're right, they are bright. Maybe to bright. They are, however, the teams that resonate with their fanbases. It's not a matter of saying "hey remember when we didn't suck?" It's a matter of those dynasty years crystallizing what the Oilers are "supposed" to look like in the minds of most sports fans (not those like us who care about uniforms and logos).

Though if I'm going to be completely objective, the pre-EDGE looks for the Oilers and Islanders were probably each teams' best looks.

Archived