NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

I still want to call BS on this one. How can a team name and uniforms be put in place when we don't really have an official buyer yet. I'm assuming that would be the group who would decide such a thing, once they ACTUALLY own the team.

I would bet that there is an owner for the Coyotes in Winnipeg if this deal with the bonds doesn't go through and Hulzinger pulls out. As much as I hate to admit it, Bettman is doing the right thing by saying there are no other buyers at this stage or a backup plan if the deal falls through. It prevents any false hope being built up any more than it already has. Well even though this was a far from ever happening expansion team (or maybe it was during the Jim Balsillie fiasco) but the "Toronto Legacy" had a logo and jersey made up for there potential team in southern Ontario.

Legacy_jersey.jpg

They might just be covering their rear ends just in case Winnipeg gets the Coyotes back. I don't think it would look too good if heading into the draft this season there would be a "Winnipeg NHL'ers" or a "Manitoba NHL'ers". This was what happened in the 1995 NHL entry draft when the Avalanche were not officially named the Avalanche and went to the draft as "Colorado" using the old black and orange NHL All-Star jersey. Add to the fact that if this does become reality, they would want to cash in right away on merchandise sales.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Thrashers 3rd Jerseys were 35% off at last night's game. Seems like they are trying to clear stock at the team gear store. I think that pretty much proves the new 3rd jersey they'll be in Quebec City next year.

We can only hope.

Hi! :censored: you!

You gloss over the fact that no one in Winnipeg owns the rights to the identity of the Jets.

That's owned by Phoenix and the league.

FYP, since the Coyotes are owned lock, stock and barrel by the NHL. Nothing to stop them if they, or the new owners, want to use the old name.

Using "Manitoba" is a no brainer, since it helps market the team provincially, and brings in potential corporate money from out of town (not that there are a whole lot of corporations in Stonewall, Teulon, Portage La Prairie or Churchill).

I think it's more brainless than no-brainer. Winnipeg is the anchor of a region that includes Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Western Ontario, and the Dakotas, and the Winnipeg Jets marketed themselves as the team for all those regions. Apparently Jets stuff still flies off the shelves, if you'll pardon the expression, in Fargo. And since there's nothing resembling civilization for like at least 200 miles in any direction, it's not like there can be butthurt suburbs or satellite cities that simply cannot and will not get behind a team from Big Mean Winnipeg. In fact, if the internet has given me an accurate pulse of the population, the people who would be most ashamed and resentful for having to follow an NHL team named for Winnipeg are people actually from Winnipeg.

I just can't see the following conversation happening:

"Would you be interested in renting a luxury box at the MTS Centre for the Winnipeg Jets?"

"Oh, geez, I mean, aw, well, ya know, ah, ya see, um, ah, I mean, Winnipeg....and, ah..."

"Okay. Would you be in in renting a luxury box at the MTS Centre for the Manitoba Falcons?"

"Yes."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Considering it's one if the worst in the league professional sports, I think I speak for many when I say "good."

There ya go.

Yep, like all the thrashers jerseys

Those blue home jerseys are amazing. Love the wording on only one sleeve.

Personally, I hate this decision. The name "Jets" is classy, has history and plain and simple, it works. They left the NHL with a great identity and should come back as such. If it ain't broke...

Im sure I'll get flamed for this but what was so great about the Jets Identity? Their first jerseys were stripe for stripe knockoffs of the worst jerseys in Rangers history and the updated ones were mediocre at best. Their colour scheme was derivative (Did we really need 5 Red and Blue teams?) and the logo was just "Winnipeg Jets" spelled out in a generic circle with a clip arty picture that barely resembled a jet.

I think ditching that is a good thing, its not like they have championships or even cup appearances. Im hoping they come up with something original that allows the new idenity to stand out from other teams

Personally, I hate this decision. The name "Jets" is classy, has history and plain and simple, it works. They left the NHL with a great identity and should come back as such. If it ain't broke...

Im sure I'll get flamed for this but what was so great about the Jets Identity? Their first jerseys were stripe for stripe knockoffs of the worst jerseys in Rangers history and the updated ones were mediocre at best. Their colour scheme was derivative (Did we really need 5 Red and Blue teams?) and the logo was just "Winnipeg Jets" spelled out in a generic circle with a clip arty picture that barely resembled a jet.

I think ditching that is a good thing, its not like they have championships or even cup appearances. Im hoping they come up with something original that allows the new idenity to stand out from other teams

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I personally, love the Jets' identity and to "Peggers I'm guessing there's a "history" with it. And also, the switch in identity; They'll find a way to mess it up.

Jets_zps66b1c061.png

Using "Manitoba" is a no brainer, since it helps market the team provincially, and brings in potential corporate money from out of town (not that there are a whole lot of corporations in Stonewall, Teulon, Portage La Prairie or Churchill).

I think it's more brainless than no-brainer. Winnipeg is the anchor of a region that includes Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Western Ontario, and the Dakotas, and the Winnipeg Jets marketed themselves as the team for all those regions. Apparently Jets stuff still flies off the shelves, if you'll pardon the expression, in Fargo. And since there's nothing resembling civilization for like at least 200 miles in any direction, it's not like there can be butthurt suburbs or satellite cities that simply cannot and will not get behind a team from Big Mean Winnipeg. In fact, if the internet has given me an accurate pulse of the population, the people who would be most ashamed and resentful for having to follow an NHL team named for Winnipeg are people actually from Winnipeg.

I just can't see the following conversation happening:

"Would you be interested in renting a luxury box at the MTS Centre for the Winnipeg Jets?"

"Oh, geez, I mean, aw, well, ya know, ah, ya see, um, ah, I mean, Winnipeg....and, ah..."

"Okay. Would you be in in renting a luxury box at the MTS Centre for the Manitoba Falcons?"

"Yes."

Having been around Winnipeg during the WHA and NHL versions of the team, I can safely say that the Jets barely marketed themselves to Winnipeg, let alone the surrounding states and provinces.

Also, for lulz:

Welcome to DrunjFlix

its not like they have championships or even cup appearances.

Didn't they win the Avco Cup 3 times? It's not their fault the NHL gutted the franchise on admission.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow. That's the kind of crap I'd expect to see out of a UHL team.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I just saw an article on the main page that says that a source claims that an NHL team in Winnipeg would be called the Manitoba Moose. The team would use the same logos and uniforms as the current minor league team of the same name. The minor league team would then likely relocate to replace the Chilliwack Bruins or go to Saskatoon.

On the one hand, a member of this board designed the Manitoba Moose logos, so that is incredibly cool. On the other hand, however, the promoting of a minor league identity to NHL status doesn't sit quite right with me. Granted, it's one of the best logo sets in the AHL, but borrowing from a minor league team as opposed to reviving the Jets or coming up with something new and original feels...wrong. I know there is precedent for it with the Barons, but it still doesn't seem right. I've known the Moose as a minor league team. Thinking of them as an NHL club doesn't feel right.

But hey, at least it's not the Connecticut Whale identity that's getting the promotion.

All Thrashers 3rd Jerseys were 35% off at last night's game. Seems like they are trying to clear stock at the team gear store. I think that pretty much proves the new 3rd jersey.

FANtastic. The sooner that 3rd jersey dies, the better.

While we're at it...I really wouldn't mind the team just starting from scratch & rebranding completely, or at least getting new uniforms. The 3rd jersey is the worst of a very bad trio of jerseys. The current home jersey should've never evolved past 3rd status, & the away jersey is just boring template stuff. I really hope that if/when the new owners come in that they do something about the uniforms because not only are they ugly, they're associated with failure.

(In before someone posts a Winnipeg Jets (Oh wait, never mind.) or Quebec Nordiques logo/jersey as a suggestion for a rebrand. :rolleyes:)

I just saw an article on the main page that says that a source claims that an NHL team in Winnipeg would be called the Manitoba Moose. The team would use the same logos and uniforms as the current minor league team of the same name. The minor league team would then likely relocate to replace the Chilliwack Bruins or go to Saskatoon.

On the one hand, a member of this board designed the Manitoba Moose logos, so that is incredibly cool. On the other hand, however, the promoting of a minor league identity to NHL status doesn't sit quite right with me. Granted, it's one of the best logo sets in the AHL, but borrowing from a minor league team as opposed to reviving the Jets or coming up with something new and original feels...wrong. I know there is precedent for it with the Barons, but it still doesn't seem right. I've known the Moose as a minor league team. Thinking of them as an NHL club doesn't feel right.

But hey, at least it's not the Connecticut Whale identity that's getting the promotion.

Isn't that the truth.

baltimoreravens.png

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but there's a rotating advertisement on the Senators page showing the updated (never used??) profile logo on a black sweatshirt. I couldn't find it in the actual NHL shop but perhaps a sign that this will be somehow implemented into next year's set. Maybe a shoulder patch

sens.png

The fact that the 3D logo is Mark Messier is somewhat off-putting as well.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

You're right on a lot of counts. The Jets never had good uniforms. The Rangers' hand-me-downs were boring, and the following set was even more boring. The Jets Winnipeg logo looks really dated (in a bad way, not the cool way that QMJHL stuff looks dated), the '90s version of it was uninspiring, and they didn't really distinguish themselves with a unique color scheme. Now, all that being said, it would be a capital case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if True North abandoned the Winnipeg Jets brand and all the goodwill it amassed in its 15-year exile just because the Jets never came up with a cool sweater design. The name still means a lot to a lot of people, and it's a nice-sounding name. Snappy cadence. So salvage the name, come up with a neat spin on red/white/blue (I suggest sky blue and cobalt along with standard red, maybe go for a white-at-home exemption), and modernize the general idea of spelling out "Winnipeg Jets" with a hockey stick and an airplane. I don't think anyone suggested they take to the ice as if 1996-2011 never happened, because that would be stupid. Had they stayed where they belonged, they probably would've revamped in 2000 anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All Thrashers 3rd Jerseys were 35% off at last night's game. Seems like they are trying to clear stock at the team gear store. I think that pretty much proves the new 3rd jersey they'll be in Quebec City next year.

We can only hope.

Hi! :censored: you!

So do you hate the third jerseys or are you really wanting a team in Quebec again? :flagcanada::hockeysmiley:

I posted this in the other thread, but why don't they combine one romanticized Canadian fetish (Winnipeg hockey) with another? (The Avro Arrow)

I give you, the Manitoba Arrows. (Bonus points for the nod to the Jets)

Today, we are all otaku.

I posted this in the other thread, but why don't they combine one romanticized Canadian fetish (Winnipeg hockey) with another? (The Avro Arrow)

That is actually a fantastic idea, though I think the meaning might be lost on a lot of American fans. Hell, I'm sure a lot of Canadians wouldn't even get the reference.

Also, and maybe I'm just being stupid here, but am I the only one who thinks naming the team after Manitoba might lead to a lot of people confusing, intentionally or not, Manitoba with Minnesota?

That is actually a fantastic idea, though I think the meaning might be lost on a lot of American fans. Hell, I'm sure a lot of Canadians wouldn't even get the reference.

Also, and maybe I'm just being stupid here, but am I the only one who thinks naming the team after Manitoba might lead to a lot of people confusing, intentionally or not, Manitoba with Minnesota?

This American knows all about the Avro Arrow.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived