NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Panthers make that god awful Pens-knockoff 3rd the full time set.... :cursing:

I might buy one just so I can promptly throw it in the garbage right there in the pro shop.

Their website, advertisements, and even the arena are slathered in that light blue nonsense and I have no hope that we'll be keeping the proper Panthers look, much less getting a red sweater again. It's hard enough as it is to wear Panthers gear without being embarrassed, sole possession of the worst playoff drought in NHL history here we come! The least they could do is look nice while sucking.

Oh well, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers are returning this year with their sweet yellow and red hooped kits, so that balances it out I guess.

Speculation is that the Leafs are going with another big era in the team. I'm thinking a Updated 80's style or a Leafs version of the St.Pats jerseys.

It won't be an update of the 80s look. No look says "Leafs ineptitude" quite like the 1970-92 look.

The St. Pats? No please.

Speculation is that the Leafs are going with another big era in the team. I'm thinking a Updated 80's style or a Leafs version of the St.Pats jerseys.

It won't be an update of the 80s look. No look says "Leafs ineptitude" quite like the 1970-92 look.

Well, then, it would be fitting.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I know it MAY be a little early, but I felt like I had to jump on this.

My roommate who works in a hockey shop here in Phoenix just got the new Reebok catalog in for next year.

He said there are multiple uniform changes coming for next year, based on what is in that catalog.

Here's the exact text he sent me:

"Islanders new third. Kings are changing their 3 jerseys. Tampa is changing up their home and aways. Toronto is getting a new third. Edmonton is getting a new home. Florida is changing up the home and away. Pittsburgh new third. Predators new home and away. Senators new third. Dallas new third and atlanta new third"

This is straight from the catalog, and if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure the catalog has been a pretty good indicator of what is going to be coming out for the next season.

Should be pretty interesting. Any thoughts?

I actually talked to a store rep (who is an aquaintance of mine through a friend) here in Vancouver yesterday morning. He mentioned a few tidbits of info you have listed here.

What he told me was that there is a strong rumor that the Sens are ditching the third jersey for one that does feature an O on the chest, and the Panthers are going back to thier roots with similar but not entirely identicle jerseys as the originals (which makes sense, cause there was a story that broke around late August early Sept that the Panthers owner wanted the team to wear a non-Reebok Edge original Red home jersey a few times during this season, which was an idea that was scrapped.) That is all I have for rumors.

just a few coments regarding the other rumored changes you've mentioned which I have heard here first.

Nashville home and road: I kinda like what they have currently, didn't like'em at first but they've grown on me. Their third jersey is nice but IMO I would prefer them to keep things the way they currently are.

Tampa Bay home and road: awesome, one less set of home and road jerseys that feature that horrible jersey template, this is news that has me stoked.

LA kings home and road: I hope that rumor is wrong, promoting their third jersey to home status is a big mistake IMO, I just hate it when teams do that. Don't get me wrong, I like their thirds but I like their current home and road jersey design the way they are now alot more than the their third jersey design.

Edmonton home: The Oilers are getting a new home jersey? are you sure you did not mean to say they are getting a new road jersey? I really hope it's the latter (as well as everyone else I'm sure).

NY Islanders third: I'm sure everyone is thinking the same thing I am and that is, good god I really hope they don't F this one up.

Dallas Stars third: could this mean a possible green third? I just hope to god they don't put Dallas or Stars in script across the chest.

Atlanta third: the Trashers ditching that god aweful third jersey and starting from scratch is great news, then all they would need to do is follow suit with the other two aweful jerseys they have.

Toronto third: Not sure why they would want to replace/change the ones they have, IMO they shouldn't.

Also the news regarding the Sens & Panthers jersey changes has me pretty stoked as well.

Atlanta third: the Trashers ditching that god aweful third jersey and starting from scratch is great news, then all they would need to do is follow suit with the other two aweful jerseys they have.

Toronto third: Not sure why they would want to replace/change the ones they have, IMO they shouldn't.

Its THrashers. oh and maybe Toronto was thinking of advertising with Kelloggs on the front? lmao

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Icethetics just posted this. Someone found it at a Preds charity auction.

0116-nsh-limited.png

That would make them one of the 10 best looking teams in the NHL.

Agreed....really nice looking jersey there.

I'm assuming/hoping the leafs new third will just be the blue throwback they wore back in the 90s. Always prefered that one to the current white one anyways.

Icethetics just posted this. Someone found it at a Preds charity auction.

0116-nsh-limited.png

I dunno. To me, this really seems a bit too plain. Like there needs to be some extra navy trim on the cuffs and the hem, or navy shoulders, or something. It's just too empty. Couple that with the single-layer block number treatment this thing is gonna get and... yawn.

Still totally dig the checkerboard stripes, though.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

put the unique predators font on the numbers in navy with a silver outline, and that's a sexy sexy sweater... make the same changes to the homes, too... and that would be a great look.

that said, i do love the "egg drop soup and silver" colors with the navy, which i found to be unique and refreshing...

about the method of leak for this sweater, i wouldn't be shocked if it was totally legit. not every re-design has to have a big hooplah around it. i remember standing outside reunion arena during the dallas stanley cup parade and seeing the stars new white-star jerseys for sale in the merch booth. this was without any kind of formal unveiling. just sort of appeared everywhere naturally after it was a forgone conclusion that we'd be switching the alternate to the new road jersey.

this seems like pretty much the same deal. a formal unveiling of such a cut-and-dry obvious sweater would be overkill. i'd be glad if they were nonchalant about it.

No way, man. While the current front and shoulder logos are an upgrade, The color layout needs an overhaul. To be honest, Reebok doesn't care squat about good looking unis, and the front numbers need to be dumped. The font for the numbers is fine though. The Sens/Pens template does not work at all. The Lightning need a uni based on their original sock stripes, with the sleeve stripes high enough so they don't get tucked into the gloves.Current thirds: REDESIGN is needed.

lecavalier-st.louis-prospal.jpg

are better than

33-96677-F.jpg

By a lot.

What he told me was that there is a strong rumor that the Sens are ditching the third jersey for one that does feature an O on the chest,

Don't play with my emotions. This better be true. :o

It's a rumor that is currently floating around apparently, I'm not sure if it's 100% true or not as I'm just relaying what I was told from the retail rep. For all I know the rumor could just be a bunch of BS, but I will take the guys word for it for now.

The St. Pats? No please.

The fact of the matter is that the people who have the disposable income these days are those that grew up with that 70-92 jersey, to which (regardless of the team's performance) they have attached a not insignificant amount of sentimental childhood memory. This is the market you want to go after to make some money selling jerseys. These are the people who want to see that jersey on the ice again...because they grew up with it. It's familiar. It's theirs.

I can totally see it happening.

Well, then, it would be fitting.

Well yes, but why draw attention to it?

The St. Pats? No please.

The fact of the matter is that the people who have the disposable income these days are those that grew up with that 70-92 jersey, to which (regardless of the team's performance) they have attached a not insignificant amount of sentimental childhood memory. This is the market you want to go after to make some money selling jerseys. These are the people who want to see that jersey on the ice again...because they grew up with it. It's familiar. It's theirs.

That's a valid point, but I doubt it, honestly. I can count on one hand the Leafs fans I know who have expressed a desire to see the 1970-92 sweaters make a come back. I just don't think it's a sweater that has the sentimental value you assign it.

The St. Pats? No please.

That's a valid point, but I doubt it, honestly. I can count on one hand the Leafs fans I know who have expressed a desire to see the 1970-92 sweaters make a come back. I just don't think it's a sweater that has the sentimental value you assign it.

Don't get me wrong, I assign no sentimental value to them myself but I can see why it's a road they would go down. Part of the problem is that you may be polling hockey fans, people who actually care about that stuff. So much of the jersey business today is, whether we like it or not, about sentimental value which is why you see all these bloody throwbacks everywhere (I hate the throwbacks trend BTW). If the Leafs try to sell an updated 20's sweater it might sell OK or even very well, but I still think the casual fan will buy more of the stuff they remember from childhood. Plus, I seem to remember that those 80's jerseys got alot of applause when they wore them for the warm-up before the Wendel Clark ceremony last year.

I'm guessing that had more to do with Wendel Clark being awesome :D

They probably would sell well if introduced, I just don't think there's a demand for them to be introduced. The Bucs' creamsicles these are not.

Archived