NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From George Richards who covers the Panthers for The Miami Herald:

@OnFrozenPond

George Richards

In other #FlaPanthers news, the old red jersey becomes primary home sweater this season...will be unveiled at draft

5 minutes ago via Facebook

I like the sound of that! I can't tell how much legitimacy that post may have but....sounds good.

It's completely legit. I know George, and I still know some people in the organization.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Hmm, I wonder if they made the cat face red just for the add. Otherwise, looks like they NBA'd it and did a recolor.

I don't think they would. Here's what a real Florida Panther looks like.

panther.jpg

Why so glum?

I did a Google image search, and seriously COULD NOT find a picture with any other expression.

If you were an endangered species you wouldn't be happy either would you?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The Thrashers won't exist anymore, and the Oilers and Panthers (hopefully) ditching the vertical stripes, what team will now have the worst jerseys?

Great question. My honest pick is Anaheim. I hate every jersey in that set, even the alternate. The colors aren't too great, the "Ducks" wordmark needs to go, and altogether that whole identity needs a re-do. I know I'll get some darts for this, but I personally want the Disney mask to come back full-time. Before thier rebranding, Anaheim had one of the most unique and recognizable identities in sports. Whether you like it or not, you have to admit that in that regard, the identity and brand did it's job. Now, Anaheim has one of the least appealing identities in sports. It's just....blehh. A full identity change would do them great wonders.

Minnesota's home and alternate aren't the best, either. That whole set is a mismatched mess - three completely different designs, crests, you name it! They need to base a set off of the away (pretty much meaning bring back the original green jersey), and call it a day.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Now that we know their old jerseys are comming back, wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if they keep the look intact and bring back the triangle shoulder yokes?

I'm not sure if the pattern allows for it. The Los Angeles Kings had a pointed yoke (or yolk?), and they rounded it off once they switched to the edge style jersey. I'm willing to bet the closest they can come is similar to what the Boston Bruins or St. Louis Blues have.

spacer.png

My bet is that they go red home and navy away, with no 3rd sweater, or have a white 3rd, just like the old days

Pretty sure the "away" jersey has to be white.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Now that we know their old jerseys are comming back, wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if they keep the look intact and bring back the triangle shoulder yokes?

I'm not sure if the pattern allows for it. The Los Angeles Kings had a pointed yoke (or yolk?), and they rounded it off once they switched to the edge style jersey. I'm willing to bet the closest they can come is similar to what the Boston Bruins or St. Louis Blues have.

They could make any pattern they want.

They could make any pattern they want.

I was under the impression that the shoulder yokes are mostly aesthetic now anyways, rather than a key piece of the jersey like CCM and before. I think the Kings got shoehorned into a rounded yoke just to keep costs down, but I bet Reebok could comply if Florida insists on it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Calgary and St. Louis have the worst sweaters in the league now. Dallas' set is just boring, not bad. I personally prefer Anahiem's current set over the Mighty Ducks look, but even if you're not a fan I honestly can't see how they're worse then Calgary's over panelled/piped mess or St. Louis' massive downgrades.

I was under the impression that the shoulder yokes are mostly aesthetic now anyways, rather than a key piece of the jersey like CCM and before. I think the Kings got shoehorned into a rounded yoke just to keep costs down, but I bet Reebok could comply if Florida insists on it.

What do you mean by this? A you saying that previously the yokes were part of the jersey template and now they are just sewn on top of other fabric? I don' know, as I don't own any Reebok jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Calgary and St. Louis have the worst sweaters in the league now. Dallas' set is just boring, not bad. I personally prefer Anahiem's current set over the Mighty Ducks look, but even if you're not a fan I honestly can't see how they're worse then Calgary's over panelled/piped mess or St. Louis' massive downgrades.

I may be in the minority here, but I've never thought Calgary's were all that bad. They're not great or spectacular by any means, but it's just my humble opinion that its' problems are very minor - such as the flags on the shoulders (bring back the horse!), and the black "C" and numbers on the red uniforms. That always bugged me, I think they'd look worlds better if they were white instead. Thier piping, while kinda strange, still looks good to me personally. I'll give you St. Louis, I forgot about them. They are pretty bad. However, I think thier 3rd saves thier set.

Which brings me back to Anaheim. All three uniforms are all sorts of bad - the new 3rd didn't do the set any justice. The difference between Anaheim and say, a St. Louis, however, is that Anaheim's problem comes from thier overall identity rather than the uniforms themselves. Everything from the colors, to the crests, to even the number font is wretched. It's all the more worse because it followed an identity that was unique, instantly recognizable, and appealing. Not to mention, the uniforms worn in the Mighty Ducks era (except, of course, for the 90's Mascot 3rd) were pretty sharp. This current identity looks as if the owners were so desperate for a change that they just went with the first concept they saw, without looking at better options. There is plenty more that you could do with "Ducks" than what they have. Anaheim's uniforms simply won't improve until the identity itself is changed. I'm not saying they have to go back to the Disney mask (although I wish they would), but they need to really sit down and take the time to start over and crank out a much, much more visually appealing brand.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Calgary's jerseys are by far the worst. Im surprised nobody has mentioned the Avalanche.

Calgary's jerseys are by far the worst. Im surprised nobody has mentioned the Avalanche.

The Thrashers won't exist anymore, and the Oilers and Panthers (hopefully) ditching the vertical stripes, what team will now have the worst jerseys?

Calgary and St-Louis (minus their navy alt jersey)

Pretty much. Those two teams are in piping hell.

Don't forget the Avs

Edmonton+Oilers+v+Colorado+Avalanche+QxVs1LzH_Usl.jpg

Was just about to post the same thing. Avs have always been one of my favorite teams (Sakic was my favorite player growing up) and I loved their alternate before the edge system. I hate the piping on the current jerseys.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The banner with the red Panther face is just for that marketing campaign I'm sure. The actual logo is gonna stay the same color if this in any indication:

screenshot20110606at806.png

They changed this today along with everything else on their website. They changed the foundation logo last season to blue and this same basic shape and it had the new Panther head from the circular logo. Now it's red and has the classic leaping Panther. One could infer from this that they are ditching the 3rd sweaters and circular logo entirely.

My bet is that they go red home and navy away, with no 3rd sweater, or have a white 3rd, just like the old days. It's been a long time since I've had anything to be this excited about involving the Cats.

The old days was white home, red away, and no navy.

They had a navy sweater from 1998-2003, it was the original alternate(had a lapse and forgot it was an alternate):

hueanps0b9mp4f20zbxmg74u4.gif

I liked it a lot, and it made use of the leaping cat breaking the stick.

Ohhhh! I thought you were talking about the old days!

Panthers02.png

Absolutely beautiful. These were among the best in the league.

sig.png

I'd agree with anyone who says Calgary and Colorado are bottom two in the league, uniform-wise. Calgary because of the piping to nowhere, the terrible transition from red side panel to black side (of the pants) panel on the roads, the hem stripes that look like an afterthought, and the flags. Colorado because of the awful double piping coming down from the collars, the inconsistency between the side panels and the shoulder striping, and the way the blue full-shoulder stripe looks on top of a maroon base. Both are horrendous uniforms and I certainly hope Calgary moves in the direction of their simpler (no-black) alternates.

I personally think that Edmonton held the solo crown of worst jerseys in the league with their original Edge set, they have moved in the right direction recently (although the cut off collar is bad). Jeez, talk about an ugly division, I know some people like the Wild's set but I find them to be pretty weak; I hate the home-away template inconsistency, the unneccesary circle logo, the lack of red in the alt, and the usage of both yellow and wheat. The Canucks have the best jerseys in the division by a loooonnng shot.

The worst alternate right now has GOT to be Ottawa. Are they discontinuing it?

What do you mean by this? A you saying that previously the yokes were part of the jersey template and now they are just sewn on top of other fabric? I don' know, as I don't own any Reebok jerseys.

That's exactly what I'm saying. You know how the cut of a CCM jersey is, the shoulders are a separate piece of fabric that helps create the shape of the jersey. In the pic below, there is a seam running right through the middle of the shoulders, right dead center, on the Caps jersey, which has no yoke, and the Bruins jersey, which does. That seam never existed before because the yoke was one piece of fabric. I think the jerseys were designed to be yokeless, and only the traditional look of the yoke keeps the look going at all.

bruins_caps_shoulder.jpg

Problem is, I don't own an Edge jersey either. Anybody care to turn one inside-out and post a pic to prove or disprove what I'm saying here?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived