NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Speculation is that the Leafs are going with another big era in the team. I'm thinking a Updated 80's style or a Leafs version of the St.Pats jerseys.

It won't be an update of the 80s look. No look says "Leafs ineptitude" quite like the 1970-92 look.

Well, then, it would be fitting.

Well yes, but why draw attention to it?

Speculation is that the Leafs are going with another big era in the team. I'm thinking a Updated 80's style or a Leafs version of the St.Pats jerseys.

It won't be an update of the 80s look. No look says "Leafs ineptitude" quite like the 1970-92 look.

The St. Pats? No please.

The fact of the matter is that the people who have the disposable income these days are those that grew up with that 70-92 jersey, to which (regardless of the team's performance) they have attached a not insignificant amount of sentimental childhood memory. This is the market you want to go after to make some money selling jerseys. These are the people who want to see that jersey on the ice again...because they grew up with it. It's familiar. It's theirs.

I can totally see it happening.

That's a valid point, but I doubt it, honestly. I can count on one hand the Leafs fans I know who have expressed a desire to see the 1970-92 sweaters make a come back. I just don't think it's a sweater that has the sentimental value you assign it.

I was at the Bruins game in Toronto on 12/4 - I can't tell you how many Daryl Sitler sweaters in that style I saw, but they were numerous. And the Real Sports store across the street from the ACC was well stocked with them as well.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look for Toronto to go back to their past to 'honour' a design that reeks of success and is synonymous with the Stanley Cup.

Thank god its not a throwback to the 1972-92 jerseys. Besides being a symbol for Leafs ineptitude they simply don't look good. As for being synonymous with the cup that pretty much leaves two options... Dropping the shoulder yolk from the current third or bringing back the Blue version of that design.

New Predator jersey looks nice, but I don't like how they're getting rid of the yellow detailing on the logo/jerseys - I like the current Home & Road designs, the colour combo is nice...

Can't wait for the SENS third jersey to disappear - boy, that thing is a disaster.

New Predator jersey looks nice, but I don't like how they're getting rid of the yellow detailing on the logo/jerseys - I like the current Home & Road designs, the colour combo is nice...

I don't know...do you guys think this is a good color scheme for an NHL team?:

NashvillePredators_AUC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Seems awfully dark to me.

If they were an expansion team right now trotting this out, I think I'd like it. But, the Navy, Gold, and Grey work really well for Nashville as it is. It's much more vibrant and where the Predators came into the league when I was in first grade, they've been around with this scheme for the majority of my lifetime, so I've grown accustomed to it. I'll give it some time, but comparing the two, I think the Navy-Gold-Grey is better.

Would someone just give Winnipeg a team already? I'm tired of hearing about it.

Why? Winnipeg doesn't deserve a team.

Oh god. Time to run away.

While true, the joke is old.

Am I missing something here? Winnipeg shouldn't get a team. I wasn't joking. I'm missing something here, right?

If they were an expansion team right now trotting this out, I think I'd like it. But, the Navy, Gold, and Grey work really well for Nashville as it is. It's much more vibrant and where the Predators came into the league when I was in first grade, they've been around with this scheme for the majority of my lifetime, so I've grown accustomed to it. I'll give it some time, but comparing the two, I think the Navy-Gold-Grey is better.

As a comparison, here are their current colors:

NashvillePredators_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

The majority of your lifetime? Good Lord I'm old.

Would someone just give Winnipeg a team already? I'm tired of hearing about it.

Why? Winnipeg doesn't deserve a team.

Oh god. Time to run away.

While true, the joke is old.

Am I missing something here? Winnipeg shouldn't get a team. I wasn't joking. I'm missing something here, right?

No. Other than the fact that Winnipeg fans and Canadians in general (at least to my experience) take offense for talking down on Winnipeg, or suggest they dont deserve a team.

I am happy about some of these. Atlanta have some of the worst sweaters in the league. Hope the third is great. Dallas needs a green sweater. Edmonton is finally getting rid of that ugly away sweater, bring in the classic! New sweaters for Florida makes me happy. New Home, Away and Alternative for the Kings interests me. I'm partial to their sweaters now, but I really like the purple one. New Preds sweaters for the win, hope its the Alternative design, maybe with the gold they use. The Islanders better not mess up what they have going, since the current ones are the best they have. New Sens better be good.. Penguins can't seem to make a good alternative. I'm okay with a new Lightning sweater. Hope the Leafs make something cool.

I was at the Bruins game in Toronto on 12/4 - I can't tell you how many Daryl Sitler sweaters in that style I saw, but they were numerous. And the Real Sports store across the street from the ACC was well stocked with them as well.

So they're already selling a lot of them. To MLSE that means there's not much money in making them the new alternates ;)

I think a blue version of the current white throwback is the most likely design. It honours past Cup Leafs teams, and they haven't sold them yet. So there's plenty of cash in making it the alternate.

The Avalanche might disagree.

I am happy about some of these. Atlanta have some of the worst sweaters in the league. Hope the third is great. Dallas needs a green sweater. Edmonton is finally getting rid of that ugly away sweater, bring in the classic! New sweaters for Florida makes me happy. New Home, Away and Alternative for the Kings interests me. I'm partial to their sweaters now, but I really like the purple one. New Preds sweaters for the win, hope its the Alternative design, maybe with the gold they use. The Islanders better not mess up what they have going, since the current ones are the best they have. New Sens better be good.. Penguins can't seem to make a good alternative. I'm okay with a new Lightning sweater. Hope the Leafs make something cool.

Which purple one are you talking about? The 1967 ones they wore in Vancouver and this past Saturday night against the Oilers? Seeing the purples in action vs. what they currently wear, shows how much the original jerseys were clean and to the point. There was no needless pinstriping accenting seems, nor were there any shoulder patches or cutesy fonts. Just one crest, block numbers, minimal striping, and names on the back. I'm not saying this is good for all teams, it just is a better look than what the Kings currently wear.

I miss the days when the only teams that looked anything like each other were the Winnipeg Jets and NY Rangers...and they didn't look anything alike lol...

So much colour.

http://nhluniforms.com/1993-94.html

Agreed though 1990-91 is a better example as the Northstars and Whalers had yet to dive into the early 90's trend of primarily Black and Dark Blue uniforms.

http://nhluniforms.com/1990-91.html

Icethetics says the Rangers are keeping the "Heritage Jersey" for 2011-12.

Good. The numbers on the alternates are a lot easier to read than the numbers on the regular jerseys which makes my life easier.

More speculation about the Panthers and Senators from Icethetics. George Richards of the Miami Herald seems to think the original Reds are coming back as well with the Two Tone Blue remaining as an alternate. Really hope this is true.

At least five players have said they had heard the reds were coming back. Bill Torrey, Dale Tallon and Mike Santos have all alluded to their return.

This is a big turnaround from the summer when it appeared that everything was going to the Michael Yormark-favored JetBlue uniforms.

So what are the Panthers going to do? Again, it's just speculation. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the Panthers keep their traditional color scheme for home and away ? with a new logo, or just a modified one ? with the third jerseys sticking around for Chevy/Ford/Pontiac Fridays.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2011/1/20/more-talk-of-changes-for-cats-sens.html

My mom has worked for Rexall for a number of years now at a local store and before Katz had bought the Oilers, Rexall's colours were blue and red. After buying the team, he switched the Rexall colours to blue and orange.

Respectfully submitted and somewhat off main topic - Rexall was using a blue and orange color scheme in the early 1970's and before as there was a Rexall drug store where I grew up during that time period.

Archived