NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Well, that lends further credence to the idea that they will be the Jets, and this was a last minute call, since there should normally have been enough lead time that Winnipeg would have a team next season just from what we've heard about Phoenix and Atlanta.

Or they could have all the Manitoba Moose stuff designs ready to go...

Plus, the Newfoundland AHL team will become Winnipeg's farm team, and they have said that they will keep the Moose colours, which leads me to believe True North is ready with a bunch of Manitoba Moose jerseys for the new team.

No.

They will wear WINNIPEG'S colors next year. If Winnipeg is red and blue, so is St John's. If Winnipeg is brown and gold (as some insider reports are saying) then so is St John's.

Brown and gold, that sounds horrible. I could see a compromise of Blue from the Jets and the Gold from the Moose, to make it something of a compromise and nod to the history of hockey in Winnipeg during and after the Jets. However, the color combination sounds hideous and almost like the Thrashers, minus the maroon and blue(s).

Brown and Gold play a massive role in the colours of the province, so I think it would look really nice.

Blue and Red if they're the Jets

Brown and Gold if they're the Moose

Blue and Gold if they're the Falcons

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone saying brown and gold is awful simply doesn't know anything about colors.

What would be awful is another blue and red team in pro sports.

I actually agree with you. Especially since they're already 4 Red and Blue teams already but a Brown and Yellow scheme would look too similar to the Bruins, especially their winter classic sweaters (which should be their alts).

Anyone saying brown and gold is awful simply doesn't know anything about colors.

I actually agree with you. Especially since they're already 4 Red and Blue teams already but a Brown and Yellow scheme would look too similar to the Bruins, especially their winter classic sweaters (which should be their alts).

Here's the thing. They wouldn't be yellow, they'd be gold. I know in the sports world Yellow is Gold for some reason. But a darker brown, with like a vegas gold would be very nice. Especially on the moose jerseys.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Here's the thing. They wouldn't be yellow, they'd be gold. I know in the sports world Yellow is Gold for some reason. But a darker brown, with like a vegas gold would be very nice. Especially on the moose jerseys.

A darker brown and vegas gold would look like the Ducks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Jets trademark ownership aside, I'm reading that TNSE really DOESN'T want to go with Jets, and that they want a true break from the past.

Good for them. The Jets are now the Phoenix Coyotes. To call the former Atlanta Thrashers the "Jets" will just confuse matters.

Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes

Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets????

Besides the Jets have had no success in the NHL. They lasted almost 20 years in the league and never won a playoff game past the first round of the playoffs. They made it to the second round in 1985 and 1987 and got swept both times.

If they want to stick with a historical nickname that actually has success tied to it, they should call the team the Winnipeg Victorias. The Vics won 3 Stanley Cups (1896/1901/1902) and were the first organized hockey team in Western Canada let alone Winnipeg.

The Catch of the Day!

brown and gold is gorgeous. especially brown and metallic gold.

i don't understand everyone's aversion to it. it's honestly one of the most aesthetically pleasing color schemes i can think of.

230543.jpg

It's a poor man's black and gold IMO.

Can't agree, any more than navy is a poor man's black.

Navy, black and brown are all rich, bold colors in their own right, and each looks outstanding when paired with athletic gold.

Jets trademark ownership aside, I'm reading that TNSE really DOESN'T want to go with Jets, and that they want a true break from the past.

Good for them. The Jets are now the Phoenix Coyotes. To call the former Atlanta Thrashers the "Jets" will just confuse matters.

Normally I would agree but for the volatility of the Phoenix Coyotes. It's going to be weird if the Jets franchise ends up in Quebec City, where I can't imagine they'd celebrate the heritage of the franchise. This whole situation requires some out-of-the-box thinking. The so-called sanctity of franchise lineage is probably going to get pretty messed up in a few years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Normally I would agree but for the volatility of the Phoenix Coyotes. It's going to be weird if the Jets franchise ends up in Quebec City, where I can't imagine they'd celebrate the heritage of the franchise. This whole situation requires some out-of-the-box thinking. The so-called sanctity of franchise lineage is probably going to get pretty messed up in a few years.

There was already enough arguing about this topic for threads to be deleted and all of us to be warned multiple times. Nobody is going to be confused. If you don't know enough about the NHL to be confused by the Thrashers being renamed the Jets, you probably didn't know about the original Winnipeg Jets anyways, so it doesn't matter.

There's going to be a very small group who is offended by this, most of whom will probably be on this board. Most people won't care, or won't really know. Others still will find this to be a quirky story that die-hards will enjoy explaining to more casual fans. I'm in that last category. It's the Golden Seals all over again, but far more relevant now. Can't we just be happy with that?

So let it go, nobody is THAT upset about either moved-team's history to worry about the treatment of it yet.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Getting back on topic, it looks like we are going to be treated to two unveilings on Friday (unless there is a leak). Red Florida Panthers and a Yellow Nashville Preds. Lets hope these aren't Tampa Bay Lightning-esque atrocities.

Getting back on topic, it looks like we are going to be treated to two unveilings on Friday (unless there is a leak). Red Florida Panthers and a Yellow Nashville Preds. Lets hope these aren't Tampa Bay Lightning-esque atrocities.

Agreed. I just don't see how a yellow/gold jersey will look good. The only one (in hockey) I have ever liked is the Team Canada "Winnipeg Falcons" ones they wore briefly, and even those had mixed reviews.

A bright yellow Predators sweater could be in the running for all-time bad. If has a chrome-plated fossil skull, shiny silver material, and stupid Edge gimmicks, we're talking one for the ages. They might only need 2 out 3.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think a yellow jersey could look pretty good if they use enough blue and don't let the silver touch the yellow. But I'm not expecting Nashville to use yellow and make it look anywhere near as good as the Bruins' Winter Classic jerseys.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Not really. It's not that hard to dissociate civic sports history from franchise sports history. Repeat after me: They are named the Jets in honor of the Jets.

Seriously y'alls, if Ottawa gets to hang up all those banners the Senators 1.0 won, I'm not quite sure what the mental hangup here is.

-------------------------------------------------

With regards to brown and gold, my problem is that I associate those colors with the Bruins. Yes, I know they are in actuality black and gold, but thanks to little bear motif they have going I now associate brown with them as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I blame Bettman. Had he just sold the Coyotes to TNSE then they could be the Jets again and everything would be fine. Oh well. I'm usually against the Cleveland deal, but at this point I think Jets really is the best option.

A bright yellow Predators sweater could be in the running for all-time bad. If has a chrome-plated fossil skull, shiny silver material, and stupid Edge gimmicks, we're talking one for the ages. They might only need 2 out 3.

Don't forget checker pattern stripes!

Not really. It's not that hard to dissociate civic sports history from franchise sports history. Repeat after me: They are named the Jets in honor of the Jets.

Seriously y'alls, if Ottawa gets to hang up all those banners the Senators 1.0 won, I'm not quite sure what the mental hangup here is.

Exactly. I'm in the "It won't matter what they name the team, they'll still sell out every game for the first couple of years" crowd, but naming them the Jets wouldn't be bad at all. Sports teams' histories are all over the damn place. Some teams acknowledge their past history in other towns/as other teams, others don't. Nine out of 10 sports fans probably won't care that the "Jets" are in Phoenix/Quebec & that these Jets came from Atlanta, & I don't think that TNSE is going to care enough about that 1 other fan to not name the team the Jets (should they do so.).

Jets trademark ownership aside, I'm reading that TNSE really DOESN'T want to go with Jets, and that they want a true break from the past. If they were ten minutes away from owning the Coyotes, as reports suggest, then Jets would make more sense but overall they want a new identity to represent the former Thrashers.

If this is the case, then I can start envisioning the Falcons name coming through with a deep brown and metallic gold (preferably more copper than vegas gold) color scheme; I'm not opposed to athletic gold/deep yellow for potential third jersey/fauxback marketing purposes, but I'm sure the younger, pee and poo centric boardmembers will disagree with me, as misguided though they are.

This is all speculation, of course. I have no more info than anyone else, I'm just connecting dots.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Preferring to acknowledge the Thrashers history more than one of the most recognizable identities in the history of professional hockey? Why care about acknowledging a team that was a miserable failure at the gate and on the ice? Plus, if they want to acknowledge the proud tradition of hockey in Winnipeg/Manitoba then Jets is the logical choice, since I doubt there's hockey fans who're still alive up there who remember watching the Falcons play or give a :censored: about some sunbelt team's history.

As for the colors, brown and gold don't instantly remind me of poo and pee, as you say. Hell, any color combination can be used effectively. I've even seen pink and yellow work, albeit in a video game and not on a sports jersey. My biggest problem is that most of the time that color combination looks way too drab, and usually is applied too poorly (see Denver Broncos, Wyoming Cowboys, etc.) to be an effective combination.

Where am I talking about acknowledging Thrasher history in their name/uniform? I have no idea what that entire first paragraph is referring to. Get off my lawn.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I want to agree with you except for the fact that the Original Jets franchise still exists as the phoenix coyotes while the original Senators actually folded all those years ago

i still think they should honor the Jets by hanging the WHA championship banners from the rafters but i think its time for the team to step back from the Jets moniker, if for no other reason then to have a fresh start in the city with a new nickname and a new history, lest we forget all those playoff loses to the oilers through the 80's and 90's...

Archived