NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Preds new jersey is okay, but like many of the new designs, there always seems to be something that is unnecessary or missing. The apron strings have got to go away and the placement of the wordwark is dumb. The numbers are too gimmicky. The hem strips on the road are too high. I do like the fact they are going with a yellow home.

I absolutely love it. So good. I want them in the Southeast division so much more, because I get to see the Lightning's set against this set often.

Also, on the back of the white jersey, "Nashville" is on the collar. Also, the pick logo is on the shoulder.

I don't mind the wordmark, but I definitely agree about the piping running through the stripes. Either have it stop at the stripe or be divided by the stripe. Both would be better than this.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What the :censored: is with the NHL and all this goddamn piping? Another decent idea totally marred with unnecessary vertical lines. Not once have I ever looked at a uniform and thought to myself "Nice, but it could use more piping." Enough is enough! It won't be long until piping finds its way onto the Rangers or Canadiens uniforms.

6uXNWAo.png

I don't mind the piping here. It actually breaks up what could have been a hell of a lot of white on the roads, at the very least.

I think you guys sometimes get so caught up in what you think you're supposed to hate that you just focus on that instead of looking at the whole design. We have almost an entire forum full of guys who get caught up in that pre-70's cockeyed Maple Leafs logo, but the second a thin line shows up on the front of a jersey, you guys fall over yourselves trying to come up with the most extreme metaphor and utterances of "ZOMG EPIX FAEIL" instead of actually being objective.

Greatest set ever? No. Massive improvement over old set? Yes. Ruined by piping? Of course not.

^^^ Never even noticed the piano keys. Nice touch.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It's a bit strange that they put the "Nashville" wordmark both on the front along that clavicle insert, and on the back collar. Seems like it should be "Nashville" in one location and "Predators" in the other, if you're doing that sort of thing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The reaction to these uniforms baffles me. I'm sitting here thinking about what would have happened if someone had posted this new logo/uni combination on the concepts forum... Let's see...

Recolor of an existing logo? Check.

Unnecessary piping? Especially piping that runs down the jersey and overlaps other stripes? Check.

Using a paint-by-numbers template already employed by another team? Check.

Funky numeral treatment (that isn't even consistent throughout the uniform)? Check.

Random placement of a name/wordmark that makes no sense? Check.

I don't think this is a god-awful uniform. (I definitely don't think it's great, but that's another discussion.) But it really seems that this design would be absolutely destroyed on these boards if it contained these strange elements and was posted as a concept. Someone should have mocked this up (preferably in MS Paint) and posted it. I'd be shocked if it didn't get a completely opposite reaction.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

The use of the blues template doesn't really surprise me, it's so Reebok. The lightning, senators, and penguins all use the same template (well the lightning just nixed it), same goes for the old Predators and Avalanche. The blues template was only used by them, it was only a matter of time I suppose

The reaction to these uniforms baffles me. I'm sitting here thinking about what would have happened if someone had posted this new logo/uni combination on the concepts forum... Let's see...

*shrug* I just like them. We can (and do) spend a fair amount of time coming up with "rules" and "standards" for what should look right and what should look terrible, but everything is subjective here. Sometimes you see something that you should dislike but you find yourself liking it regardless.

Recolor of an existing logo? Check.

I hated the previous logo. The overly detailed/overly coloured chrome plated sabretooth tiger head was, in my opinion, the worst in the NHL, maybe even the "big four." The new recolour doesn't solve all of its problems, but it cleans up a lot of the mess that was holding it down. It's not fantastic by any means but it comes off as downright classic when compared to the original, in my opinion.

Unnecessary piping? Especially piping that runs down the jersey and overlaps other stripes? Check.

I don't mind piping in and of itself. It just depends on how it's used and who uses it. The Predators are a 1990s expansion pro hockey team in Tennessee using a 1990s style snarling animal logo paired with a 1990s style name. This isn't a team grounded in tradition. They can get away with a non-traditional uniform element like piping.

Further it's used smartly, to accent the striping.

Using a paint-by-numbers template already employed by another team? Check.

I went over this in the other thread. The Blues have no business using this template. They had a true "modern classic" just before the Edge switch over. That's the design they should be wearing. Leave the more experimental design to the 1990s sunbelt expansion team.

Funky numeral treatment (that isn't even consistent throughout the uniform)? Check.

Like the guitar pic secondary I find the guitar string pattern on the numbers to be a nice tie-in with the city's music history while being subtle enough to avoid being gimmicky.

Random placement of a name/wordmark that makes no sense? Check.

This is the only misstep of the redesign, in my opinion, and even then it's minor enough that I can just write it off as a uniform quirk.

I don't think this is a god-awful uniform. (I definitely don't think it's great, but that's another discussion.) But it really seems that this design would be absolutely destroyed on these boards if it contained these strange elements and was posted as a concept. Someone should have mocked this up (preferably in MS Paint) and posted it. I'd be shocked if it didn't get a completely opposite reaction.

All in all I like this set. It's easily the best set the Predators have ever had. The elimination of silver and the emphasis on yellow over navy distances them from the Sabres. Similarly the emphasis on yellow also distances them from the Blues, who will hopefully return to a more appropriate template themselves to further the distinction between the two teams.

The lines are bold, the colour scheme's uncluttered, and the logo, while not perfect, is a marked improvement. All in all I like this. The Preds may have found a sweater design they can stick with in the long haul.

I love the new Preds jerseys. The only drawback in the word mark on the shoulder but it's a very, very slight drawback.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The "1" looks like the Avalanche number font, let's hope the other numbers are different. I also don't like that they're using a similar template as someone in their division, so we'll see a lot of Blues vs. Preds games.

Archived