Teams using "cooler" colors in descriptions instead of actual colors

sportsfan9580

Just a thought, a lot of fans of (particularly yellow-themed) teams describe their colors as gold, maize, etc. Are there any other teams that do that and do you agree that this is unnecessary?

Some Examples

Steelers (Real color: yellow; Described color: gold)

Lakers " "

Sabres (Real color: yellow?; Described color: maize) (I know, this was during the "Buffaslug" era)

Raiders (Real color: gray; Described color: silver)

Spurs " "

White Sox " "

Texans (Real color: red; Described color: battle red, need confirmation, and if there is a difference?)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do admit that the Steelers has always bothered me especially since you got a team like the Saints who actually are black and gold, and also when you know Steelers fans who are like "The black and gold!", and I'm like "No, thats yellow..." lol

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

RAMS, 49ERS, SAINTS = GOLD

PACKERS, STEELERS, = YELLOW

LAKERS, PURPLE & YELLOW ..... but when Jack Kent Cooke owned the KINGS and LAKERS he wouldn't let the announcers call it 'PURPLE', it had to be called 'FORUM BLUE' :therock:

The Lakers' shade of purple is called "forum blue"

Not since 1981. It's been Royal Purple since then.

We've discussed these kinds of things at length on this board, and even fairly recently.

Later on, I'll address this issue...for example, not only is the Raiders primary color not Gray, it's not even a true Silver...

The Lakers' shade of purple is called "forum blue"

I think they stopped calling it that for some years now.

EDIT: CWx beat me to it

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Battle Red, Deep Steel Blue, Victory White.

The Houston Texans got it just right. B)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

RAMS = GOLD

Non! Non! Non! *wags finger*

It's Millenium Blue and New Century Gold (and white) ( :rolleyes: )

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yellow:

Yellow.GIF

Steelers 'Gold':

terrible-towel.gif

Difference? I think so.

ColorWerx will probably laugh at the inaccuracies I just posted, but you get the idea... haha

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Athletic gold (Steelers, Packers, Lakers) is not yellow any more than teal is green.

Related? Very much. But the same? No.

Exactly.

For some reason, any color within the yellow spectrum seems to just be labeled "yellow", while other colors have multiple excepted shades. Athletic gold, maize, amber, and saffron are just as different from each other as scarlet, cardinal, crimson, and garnet are.

spacer.png

Athletic gold (Steelers, Packers, Lakers) is not yellow any more than teal is green.

Related? Very much. But the same? No.

Exactly.

For some reason, any color within the yellow spectrum seems to just be labeled "yellow", while other colors have multiple excepted shades. Athletic gold, maize, amber, and saffron are just as different from each other as scarlet, cardinal, crimson, and garnet are.

It's because using gold as part of the name is disingenuous. It may not be yellow, but it is very close to yellow. It doesn't at all look like gold-gold. If they called it anything other than gold I wouldn't call it yellow. As you said, other colors have multiple accepted shades, but they are still referred to frequently as their, for lack of better term, parent color. For example, the NY Giants wear royal blue and the Chicago Bears wear navy. However, both teams are said to wear blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That's because their colors are "navy blue" and "royal blue". "Blue" is an accurate shorthand.

The Packers, Steelers et al use "athletic gold". "Gold" is the shorthand.

It's because using gold as part of the name is disingenuous.

:blink:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

That's because their colors are "navy blue" and "royal blue". "Blue" is an accurate shorthand.

The Packers, Steelers et al use "athletic gold". "Gold" is the shorthand.

It's because using gold as part of the name is disingenuous.

:blink:

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; insincere. It was used as intended.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived