Teams using "cooler" colors in descriptions instead of actual colors

sportsfan9580

a rose by any other name....or something...

people put too much stock in what the color is called. it's all about the visual identity of it. yellow isn't a finite idea. it covers any range of colors. same with blue. for instance, i've always said that mountain dew was green, but i had someone recently tell me it was yellow. i don't know who is right or wrong. it's pretty much in between. so this argument is silly and just semantics to me in most cases.

that said, i do chuckle when teams refuse to admit that their "gold" is a shade of yellow. to me, gold is a shiny metal. the saints wear gold. the stars use gold. any team that uses metallic thread or fabric or ink, in my opinion, uses gold... any team with a flat shade of fabric uses yellow or tan or something else. gold is reflective. the shoulders of a bruins jersey/packers helmets/steelers stripes are not.

maize on the other hand is just another way of saying yellow for a team trying to sound fancy. "maize" doesn't actually mean anything, since corn can come in many shades. lol.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots more to address here...take a look at this - here's a quick query I did against my database that identifies any Pantone/PMS value that is associated with some sort of "Gold":

ColorValueID:

116 2X

130 2X

Black 2

Process Yellow

Yeah...even PANTONE Black 2 has been identified as a really dark shade of Gold.

Call it what you will, the Steelers and Packers for all practical purposes use yellow.

It's amusing what passes for "crimson and cream" at OU. Um, that second color is called "white." :D

20070903_photo1.jpg

To be fair, here is the U. of Oklahoma's official colors:

OklahomaUOf_OFF_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Now 'splain about this whole Raiders-not-silver-or-even-grey-ya-moe-rons thing.

OK...(ya-moe-rons):

^_^

Sometime in the early '70s, the Raiders started identifying their Silver as a metallic color:

OaklandRaidersSilver_2005_SOL_SRGB.png

It may have always been a metallic color; however, historical graphics I have indicate a flat, non-metallic Gray to represent it. Certainly by 1972 (which I have a scan of an official Style Guide sheet) it was metallic.

A contact of mine is/was good friends with the Raiders equipment manager, and has always maintained that the paint job on the Raiders' helmets is actually a bluish-Silver. Somewhat like the Cowboys, but a little bit different. In 2006, the Raiders began using this color as their primary Silver:

OaklandRaidersSilver_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

For the record, this color is also used in the primary NHL logo and is called "Heavy Silver".

However, all through their history (including the present), they've used this color as a flat, non-metallic alternate:

OaklandRaidersSilverFlat_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

...which obviously, is a more standard Gray.

In fabric/textile terms, the Raiders use this:

OaklandRaidersSilver_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

(The NFL didn't start using Pantone Textile colors until 1997.)

A fairly neutral Gray. However in most cases, teams will provide alternate textile colors to represent metallics in fabrics. Here's a progression of alternate colors that have been used by the Raiders since 1997:

OaklandRaidersSilverAlt_2001_TEX_SRGB.pngOaklandRaidersSilverAlt_2005_TEX_SRGB.pngOaklandRaidersSilverAlt_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

The last one ("Pearl Blue") has quite a bit of Blue in it.

I'm not sure what the rules are for utilizing these alternate textile colors; maybe someone else on the board who has experience in such things could elaborate.

It's all really semantics--teams are their own lexicographers when it comes to describing colors. Scarlet and crimson can refer to the same shade of red. Gold and yellow can refer to the same shade of yellow. As long as no team takes orange and calls it green, I'm fine with the marketers' decisions on what to call their teams' colors.

As far as use of the term "gold" goes, the definition of gold is broad enough to encompass several shades of yellow. In fact, the word gold and yellow apparently share the same old english root.

GOLD

noun, often attributive \ˈgōld\

Definition of GOLD

1 : a yellow malleable ductile metallic element that occurs chiefly free or in a few minerals and is used especially in coins, jewelry, and dentures ? see element table

2 a (1) : gold coins (2) : a gold piece; b : money; c : gold standard

3 : a variable color averaging deep yellow

4 : something resembling gold; especially : something valued as the finest of its kind <a heart of gold>

5 : a medal awarded as the first prize in a competition : a gold medal

Origin of GOLD

Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German gold gold, Old English geolu yellow ? more at yellow

Merriam Webster Dictionary: Gold

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Call it what you will, the Steelers and Packers for all practical purposes use yellow.

It's amusing what passes for "crimson and cream" at OU. Um, that second color is called "white." :D

20070903_photo1.jpg

To be fair, here is the U. of Oklahoma's official colors:

OklahomaUOf_OFF_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Thanks, didn't know that.

Another question for you, oh Yoda of hues...do teams that have colored metallic helmets (like Green Bay for example) specify separate metallic colors? Sorry if you've addressed it somewhere else.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

to me, gold is a shiny metal.

Ah, there's the rub.

In your opinion. And, as the saying goes, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but not your own reality. And the reality is that the word "gold" has been used to describe a dark yellow color for hundreds of years.

To you, it has to be metallic. To the rest of the Western world, not so much. ;)

...do teams that have colored metallic helmets (like Green Bay for example) specify separate metallic colors? Sorry if you've addressed it somewhere else.

Most don't. The only one I know of are the Ravens, who specify a "Metallic Black" for their helmets - but don't actually specify a separate Pantone value for it.

The Florida Marlins designate Metallic Black for their twill numbers as well; I believe they are specifying the thread to be used.

Archived