NFL divisional championship trophies

smith03

What do people think of awarding a trophy to the teams that win a divisional title in the NFL? The old NASL used to give out trophies to the divisional champions and this spark the idea. And since the NFL has names for the league championship (Super Bowl) -Lombardi and Halas and Hunt of the conferences. Here are some ideas for names

NFC East- Landry

NFC North- Grant

NFC South ????

NFC West- Walsh

AFC East Shula

AFC North Noll

AFC Sount ???

AFC West Davis

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Think about it... The Redskins win the Tom Landry trophy? The Ravens win the Chuck Noll trophy? Sorry, but it couldn't work. ^_^

The Bears won the Lombardi Trophy in 1985 and the Packers won the Halas Trophy in 1996 and 1997.

What do people think of awarding a trophy to the teams that win a divisional title in the NFL? The old NASL used to give out trophies to the divisional champions and this spark the idea. And since the NFL has names for the league championship (Super Bowl) -Lombardi and Halas and Hunt of the conferences. Here are some ideas for names

NFC East- Landry

NFC North- Grant Starr or Favre

NFC South ????

NFC West- Walsh

AFC East Shula

AFC North Noll

AFC Sount ???

AFC West Davis

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

NFC East- Landry Parcells

NFC North- Grant Lombardi

NFC South- Payton or Gruden

NFC West- Walsh

AFC East Shula or Belichick

AFC North Noll

AFC South- Dungy or Fisher

AFC West Davis

07Giants.pngnyy.png

NFC West- Walsh

AFC North Noll

AFC West Davis

So Lombardi will have 2 trophies named after him?

And the Vikings can now say they have 6 Lombardies/ (or however many division titles they have won).

I'm not a fan of the idea anyway, but I'd agree with Landry, Grant, Walsh, Shula, and Noll. They are legendary.

Dungy? No way. The only thing I think of when I hear his name is a befuddled look, not greatness in coaching.

Madden for the AFC West maybe?

sig-1.png

What do people think of awarding a trophy to the teams that win a divisional title in the NFL?

I think it's silly.

FWIW, I do as well.

While I think that the names that the OP listed are silly, I don't think that the idea of some kind of prize for a division winner is silly.

It bothers me (relatively speaking) that baseball teams recognize their division titles on flags or on the outfield wall, and for the most part, fans can name every year of their lifetime that their team won the division (granted, for some of us that's much less to remember than others), but football teams barely even recognize these things since the WC has rendered the division crown next to meaningless.

Something to put in a display case at an in-stadium team "museum", or maybe a flag system, or even banners plastered on the side wall coverings would suffice for me. Any flag raising ceremony thing is cool for the fans (except for WC - that's just dumb.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

AFC South: Dungy

My gods, I hope not. I'm trying to forget that sanctimonious creep.

Guy won a single title. He won't make the Hall of Fame. That's the best the division has to offer?

What else are you going to name it? The Del Rio Trophy? The Coughlin Trophy? The Fisher Trophy? The Kubiak Trophy?

I too think the idea is silly, but as far as coaching names go, that's really just about the best you're going to get in that division. Fisher comes close, but he never has won a title.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The trophies don't have to be named for coaches that actually coached in that division, nor do they need to be named for coaches at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What do people think of awarding a trophy to the teams that win a divisional title in the NFL?

I think it's silly.

The banners aren't enough?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it's silly.

Most teams that don't play in domes don't have banners.

I think it's silly.

Maybe they should build domes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it's silly.

Maybe they should build domes.

Occam's razor?

I like the idea (because then the Bengals would occasionally win some hardware), but if the AFC North trophy is going to be named after anyone it's Paul Brown. He founded two of the teams, one of the teams is named after him and he indirectly created the 3rd team. The Steelers can go piss up a rope.

PvO6ZWJ.png

NFC West- Walsh

AFC North Noll

AFC West Davis

Parcells for the NFC East? Hell no. Its Landry all the way.

NFC East - Tom Landry

NFC North - Payton (As in Walter Payton)

NFC South - Brees

NFC West - Montana

AFC East - Don Shula

AFC North - Jim Brown

AFC South - C'mon people, it has to be either Unitas or Manning.

AFC West - Al Davis

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived