Template Update

andrewharrington

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he used to have a paint template, it was a simple question, no need to get your panties in a wad, especially when it wasn't directed to you

Dude, I called your software crap I didn't call your mum ugly no need to get all defensive. Sorry for thinking that the whole point of this forum is to give people advice and help them IMPROVE.

If you want to carry on using genuinely the WORST piece of graphics software EVER WRITTEN be my guest, but your presentation will ALWAYS look substandard compared to anything produced in Inkscape or Gimp (both of which are free) and that's just a fact. I just dont get peoples undying devotion to a piece of free software that should have died out with computers that had tape drives on them. But if you insist on using Paint enjoy playing in the dark ages and I'll leave you in peace as I'm past giving feedback to those who wont even help themselves.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I mean, there's nothing wrong with using MSPaint. LEWJ used paint to do some pretty cool concepts awhile back and I was always impressed with them. I think it works really well for people just starting out with concepts, almost like training wheels. However, there's no denying that after going from MSPaint to Inkscape I've seen the quality of my work improve.

Dude, I called your software crap I didn't call your mum ugly no need to get all defensive. Sorry for thinking that the whole point of this forum is to give people advice and help them IMPROVE.

If you want to carry on using genuinely the WORST piece of graphics software EVER WRITTEN be my guest, but your presentation will ALWAYS look substandard compared to anything produced in Inkscape or Gimp (both of which are free) and that's just a fact. I just dont get peoples undying devotion to a piece of free software that should have died out with computers that had tape drives on them. But if you insist on using Paint enjoy playing in the dark ages and I'll leave you in peace as I'm past giving feedback to those who wont even help themselves.

9erssteve

Creativity. it works in MSPaint, in InkScape, in Illustrator, in Photoshop, in CorelDraw, in GIMP, in Pencil and paper... i think creativity were an abstract feeling. as a feeling, needs no physical special attribute or program. 9ers, think on it.

9erssteve

Creativity. it works in MSPaint, in InkScape, in Illustrator, in Photoshop, in CorelDraw, in GIMP, in Pencil and paper... i think creativity were an abstract feeling. as a feeling, needs no physical special attribute or program. 9ers, think on it.

I'm not denying you can be creative with anything you like. Infact that was stressed heavily my first year at art college where we were encouraged not to use computers at all. I start every concept I do with a sheet of paper and a pencil, so it's it's not about whether Inkscape makes you more creative or not, because NO SOFTWARE will ever make you more creative. Like you said creativity is an abstract thing you either have or you dont.

But what Inkscape or Gimp will do (besides not hurt your bank balance) is allow you to present your creativity to it's FULLEST in LESS TIME with LESS HASSLE. When Paint isn't sophisticated enough to use anti-aliasing which means achieving a smooth curve is IMPOSSIBLE, then I'm sorry it's not even up for debate in my book. Paint should have died out with Amiga's back in the early 90's!

Yeah fine as a first time training wheels excercise I can understand why people use Paint but by the time you've joined a site like this and are onto your fourth or fifth concept and have decided your in this as a hobby for the long haul anyone still using Paint is putting themselves at a serious disadvantage. If folk wanna carry on using software that's nearly 20 years out of date and play martyr to a cause by all means crack on I couldn't care less, but if people want to present their ideas to the their very fullest potential and have a file that could actually be put to a real world use when they're done then they should drop Paint like a hot brick and look at the alternatives. The truth hurts Paint lovers but it's still the truth.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Wow. Such hostility. I feel like someone has other problems they should probably discuss.

As for the template, I have made a paint version, of sorts.

Of course using paint you're choosing to sacrifice some of the goodies and improved presentation, but it's all about how you use the program. Start at a large scale, resize at the end--using a program other than paint. It will greatly reduce the "pixelized" look.

Andrewharrington, thanks for the templates, look great, as always. Keep it up!

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Wow. Such hostility. I feel like someone has other problems they should probably discuss.

Of course using paint you're choosing to sacrifice some of the goodies and improved presentation, but it's all about how you use the program. Start at a large scale, resize at the end--using a program other than paint. It will greatly reduce the "pixelized" look.

Lol, hostility? Bemusement, bewilderment perhaps, but hostility? No. It just bemuses me, people are offered advice and help in here everyday with things like colour or typefaces etc etc etc, and they are open and receptive to that advice 90% of the time, but offer the advice that they could work faster better and smarter if they used a DIFFERENT free piece of software, and suddenly people are claiming I have anger problems! It's laughable it really is. Making the change to a decent piece of software is the BEST piece of advice anyone could get, but for some reason Paint users dont want to hear that.

Like I said if people want to persist in using god awful software that doesn't let them do anything that's up to them. It's not about missing out on "goodies" it's about being able to have something worth having in the end, Paint files are utterly useless! It's about being able to use OUTSTANDING templates like this one, the way they were INTENDED to be used. It's about having enough pride in your own work and your own time, not to waste it unnecessarily and present what you've created to the best of your ability. Hell what it really comes down to is being able to draw basic shapes and put an even smooth keyline on them, at the end of the day, which you cant do in Paint. That's a fact. End of.

Yeah you can start at a large size and reduce down in Paint to "reduce" the pixelated look, or you can download a piece of free software that will do away with the problem entirely. Hack the problem or remove it completely? Sorry that really should be a no brainer.

But to be quite honest with everyone the biggest reason to not use Paint in this case would be out of respect for Andrew. He's put together what is without doubt the most complete, accurate, and easy to use template I've ever seen on these boards. Which was no easy task I'm sure. But rather than use it to it's fullest, the way HE INTENDED you want him to butcher all his work, remove ALL the different layers and functionality he's invested hours of his life in and provided free of charge.

For what?

Doing so offers NO BENEFIT to anyone. The template loses tons of functionality, the quality drop off would be horrific, and the reason for it would be? seriously what's the reason? It's not going to save you money, Inkscape or Gimp are free. So what is it? Are Paint users scared to try other software? Because if that's the reason there is NO NEED to be scared of it, there are enough tutorials here and elsewhere on the web that make it easy to understand and quick to learn. Does asking for these cahnges to be made not sound just a little bit selfish? Especially in light of the fact it would reduce the quality of the template?

Once again if people want to insist on using Paint that's up to them, but at the end of the day if people want to improve they're wasting their time using Paint and it's no wonder quality posters here such as Davidson are abandoning this place like a sinking ship and I cant say I blame them. Why stay and offer help when people wont even help themselves? It's genuinely that simple.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Lol, hostility? Bemusement, bewilderment perhaps, but hostility? No. It just bemuses me, people are offered advice and help in here everyday with things like colour or typefaces etc etc etc, and they are open and receptive to that advice 90% of the time, but offer the advice that they could work faster better and smarter if they used a DIFFERENT free piece of software, and suddenly people are claiming I have anger problems! It's laughable it really is. Making the change to a decent piece of software is the BEST piece of advice anyone could get, but for some reason Paint users dont want to hear that.

Like I said if people want to persist in using god awful software that doesn't let them do anything that's up to them. It's not about missing out on "goodies" it's about being able to have something worth having in the end, Paint files are utterly useless! It's about being able to use OUTSTANDING templates like this one, the way they were INTENDED to be used. It's about having enough pride in your own work and your own time, not to waste it unnecessarily and present what you've created to the best of your ability. Hell what it really comes down to is being able to draw basic shapes and put an even smooth keyline on them, at the end of the day, which you cant do in Paint. That's a fact. End of.

Yeah you can start at a large size and reduce down in Paint to "reduce" the pixelated look, or you can download a piece of free software that will do away with the problem entirely. Hack the problem or remove it completely? Sorry that really should be a no brainer.

But to be quite honest with everyone the biggest reason to not use Paint in this case would be out of respect for Andrew. He's put together what is without doubt the most complete, accurate, and easy to use template I've ever seen on these boards. Which was no easy task I'm sure. But rather than use it to it's fullest, the way HE INTENDED you want him to butcher all his work, remove ALL the different layers and functionality he's invested hours of his life in and provided free of charge.

For what?

Doing so offers NO BENEFIT to anyone. The template loses tons of functionality, the quality drop off would be horrific, and the reason for it would be? seriously what's the reason? It's not going to save you money, Inkscape or Gimp are free. So what is it? Are Paint users scared to try other software? Because if that's the reason there is NO NEED to be scared of it, there are enough tutorials here and elsewhere on the web that make it easy to understand and quick to learn. Does asking for these cahnges to be made not sound just a little bit selfish? Especially in light of the fact it would reduce the quality of the template?

Once again if people want to insist on using Paint that's up to them, but at the end of the day if people want to improve they're wasting their time using Paint and it's no wonder quality posters here such as Davidson are abandoning this place like a sinking ship and I cant say I blame them. Why stay and offer help when people wont even help themselves? It's genuinely that simple.

9erssteve

Honestly, why go through the task of learning a new software when I am totally comfortable and content with what I am producing right now?

That's my only problem with your argument. I'm not claiming I'm "going pro" while using Paint.

I realize sooner or later I will have to learn another program to get somewhere in the graphic design industry. It will not be gimp or inkscape.

No need to go through the hassle of learning a new program when I can wait until I have the time and money to buy a program like Illustrator or Photoshop, which will also assist me in learning and achieving my schooling goals.

It's an elimination of a step. Anyone who is serious about graphic design will learn and become comfortable with Photoshop or Illustrator. It's almost like the final goal before you go on to do your own thing.

Why teach yourself to use gimp or inkscape when those skills will be all but trashed when you're introduced to Photoshop or illustrator?

I could see that it could be a valuable asset to your repertoire of skills, but would it really? Photoshop and Illustrator take precedence over all graphic design programs.

So all in all, for me atleast, it's not a step I'm willing to take at this point in time. Even if it is free. No need to learn a new program , when my ultimate goal has nothing to do with that program. I'd rather wait on it.

That's just me, though.

I'm not bashing anyone here, if you produce quality concepts in another program, more power to you. Good for you. I'm happy with where I'm at now, I'll worry about furthering the quality of my concepts at a later date.

For what?

9erssteve

Honestly, why go through the task of learning a new software when I am totally comfortable and content with what I am producing right now?

That's my only problem with your argument. I'm not claiming I'm "going pro" while using Paint.

I realize sooner or later I will have to learn another program to get somewhere in the graphic design industry. It will not be gimp or inkscape.

No need to go through the hassle of learning a new program when I can wait until I have the time and money to buy a program like Illustrator or Photoshop, which will also assist me in learning and achieving my schooling goals.

It's an elimination of a step. Anyone who is serious about graphic design will learn and become comfortable with Photoshop or Illustrator. It's almost like the final goal before you go on to do your own thing.

Why teach yourself to use gimp or inkscape when those skills will be all but trashed when you're introduced to Photoshop or illustrator?

I could see that it could be a valuable asset to your repertoire of skills, but would it really? Photoshop and Illustrator take precedence over all graphic design programs.

So all in all, for me atleast, it's not a step I'm willing to take at this point in time. Even if it is free. No need to learn a new program , when my ultimate goal has nothing to do with that program. I'd rather wait on it.

That's just me, though.

I'm not bashing anyone here, if you produce quality concepts in another program, more power to you. Good for you. I'm happy with where I'm at now, I'll worry about furthering the quality of my concepts at a later date.

But that's where you're wrong. Learning the differences between vector and raster graphics will help you. Learing to use bezier curves in Inkscape will help you master Illustrator. It's a bit like learning to ride a 125cc motorbike then progressing to bigger one, sure there will be differences once you move to bigger version but the core understanding and skills you've mastered using the smaller version will give you a grounding in the theory and at least have exposed you to the basics of the principles.

Yeah the interface will be slightly different, but the Illustrator interfaces changes every couple of years as they add new tools and features. But controling bezier curves in Inkscape varies little to Illustrator, just like it didn't vary much between Freehand which was industry standard before Adoble bought it over and phased it out. Knowing Freehand inside out didn't stop me from being able to use Illustrator it actually cut the learning time!

Same with Gimp, you're right it's not photoshop but learning it as well as Inkscape will give you a grounding in how the two forms of graphics vary and what their advantages/disadvantages are and what their uses should be.

There really isn't any reason why anyone, especially someone who has ambitions to take design professional at some point should be insistant on using Paint.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

For what?

9erssteve

That's just me, though.

But that's where you're wrong. Learning the differences between vector and raster graphics will help you. Learing to use bezier curves in Inkscape will help you master Illustrator. It's a bit like learning to ride a 125cc motorbike then progressing to bigger one, sure there will be differences once you move to bigger version but the core understanding and skills you've mastered using the smaller version will give you a grounding in the theory and at least have exposed you to the basics of the principles.

Yeah the interface will be slightly different, but the Illustrator interfaces changes every couple of years as they add new tools and features. But controling bezier curves in Inkscape varies little to Illustrator, just like it didn't vary much between Freehand which was industry standard before Adoble bought it over and phased it out. Knowing Freehand inside out didn't stop me from being able to use Illustrator it actually cut the learning time!

Same with Gimp, you're right it's not photoshop but learning it as well as Inkscape will give you a grounding in how the two forms of graphics vary and what their advantages/disadvantages are and what their uses should be.

There really isn't any reason why anyone, especially someone who has ambitions to take design professional at some point should be insistant on using Paint.

9erssteve

Well I guess at this point it comes down to whether or not I will take the time to actually try it out. haha

Thanks for your input.

9erssteve

I Have CorelDraw and use it for design. But for Sport Equipment, I prefer MSPaint. not everyone gets used to vector.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The svg. download for the Adidas TechFit isn't on the link anymore.

Is it 'bye-bye' for good, or is there another link? (fingers crossed)

I'm looking for this as well.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm in the midst of trying to update some of these things, which is why the downloads no longer function. Stay tuned for now.

As far as functionality in Inkscape, all I can do is export as an .svg file. I have no idea how this template functions in Inkscape as I can not download the software to my computer. Someone else may have to help you.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm in the midst of trying to update some of these things, which is why the downloads no longer function. Stay tuned for now.

As far as functionality in Inkscape, all I can do is export as an .svg file. I have no idea how this template functions in Inkscape as I can not download the software to my computer. Someone else may have to help you.

Thank You good sir

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

The Speed Machine template seems to work in Inkscape for me but it runs kinda slow. I believe that's an issue with my computer and not the template, though.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived