Miami Dolphins Sock Logos

rmackman

Anyone else ever notice that some of the Miami Dolphins used to have the script logo on their socks? It's weird because some had it, and some players did not.

Check out former offensive lineman Richmond Webb's left leg. You'll see in both pictures (taken in two different seasons) he has the script DOLPHINS written on his sock. In one of the photos, you'll see Dan Marino behind him, and Dan does not have anything written on his sock (which could be because he has the white part pulled up higher). In the top photo, there is another offensive lineman near Webb, but you can only see his leg. That sock also has the script logo.

The last photo shows former defensive back Shawn Wooden trying to tackle Emmit Smith. He has nothing on his socks at all. Kind of puzzling if you ask me... :blink:

By the way, whoever Rich Kane is, he takes awesome NFL photos!

Webb.png

Webb2.png

Smith1.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The top photo is from 1993 or before, while the middle one is from 1995, which was apparently the last year that was used because I've found no players from the 1996 season (when the last photo was taken) that had the wordmark on the socks. From browsing through 1993 season pics, it was on both legs on the solid aqua socks, shaded towards the back rather than centered on the calf, which probably explains why it's not visible on the player next to Richmond Webb in the second pic. It looks like the striped-socks version was worn during the 1993 preseason, but I can't find any shots from regular season games in 1992 or '93 showing them being worn...every player has the non-wordmarked socks, whereas what I found in '93 and '92 was that every player - or most - wore the aqua wordmarked socks.

98Falcons.png

The top photo is from 1993 or before, while the middle one is from 1995, which was apparently the last year that was used because I've found no players from the 1996 season (when the last photo was taken) that had the wordmark on the socks. From browsing through 1993 season pics, it was on both legs on the solid aqua socks, shaded towards the back rather than centered on the calf, which probably explains why it's not visible on the player next to Richmond Webb in the second pic. It looks like the striped-socks version was worn during the 1993 preseason, but I can't find any shots from regular season games in 1992 or '93 showing them being worn...every player has the non-wordmarked socks, whereas what I found in '93 and '92 was that every player - or most - wore the aqua wordmarked socks.

That's pretty interesting. I know it was posted above that the Bengals temporarily had wordmarks on their socks as well. I'm curious how many teams actually had that. It's such a tiny detail, and I can't even really decide if I like it or not. I think I'm leaning towards stripes = good, wordmark = could do without.

Robbman, do you think you could post a few of the photos you found?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Smith1.png

By far the best either of these teams has ever looked.

EDIT: UGH... see what happens when you don't read every damn post before you reply :P

Agreed. I've been trying to get them to use it as a throwback in the Madden series, but EA Sports doesn't ever reply to me. :cursing:

spacer.png

Archived