Brazil kit 11-12

exaccardi

Please allow me to THROW UP a bit.

camisaselecao_gcom-3_60.jpg

camisaAzul_60.jpg

Me worst fears have been confirmed. The soccer guy at the store here in NYC was right. It's some hideous teal color. Someone tell Nike that teal is so 1990s.

And the numbers? I mean at least they match the hideous "download bar," but I dont like the sharp 90 degree angles on them. Huge epic fail from Nike. Easily the worst shirt they've EVER made for Brazil.

Here's a link with a youtube video.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/platb/primeiramao/2011/02/01/nova-camisa-azul-da-selecao-brasileira/

no youtube video that goes with your link, and neither one of those pictures are that great.... so maybe the blue isn't teal but more of a UCLA True Blue or something like the Pele-era blue shorts of Brazil seen in these early NY Cosmos kits: g8vz90en40b65tcn0xhz2h51g.gif

Hmmm. I guess the blogger removed the link. Anyways, the video was from NikeFutebol.

And some better pics with it on players.

http://todosobrecamisetas.blogspot.com/2011/02/camisa-nike-de-brasil-1113-authentic.html

The font is certainly different and has grown on me. To the credit of the designers, the numbering does work well with the "download bar" stripe on the shirt. It's a nice modern look, but I think it's something that just doesn't work when you're dealing with a team with typically traditional uniforms like Brazil. It's a radical departure from the past 6 years at least.

Note the design of the authentic one and the use of different fabrics.

Since I had posted, a lot more sites got the better pics through Nike. The blue is very much a teal/aquamarine color. In fact, the joke in Brazil is that the away shirt looks just like a Boca Juniors shirt.

http://todosobrecamisetas.blogspot.com/2011/02/oficial-novas-camisas-nike-de-brasil.html

I would say probably 90% of Brazilians hate the jersey, just judging from Youtube / Brazilian sports page comments. Most of the Spanish-speaking users on Tudosobrecamisetas also don't quite care for it, but they don't quite have the same disdain for it as us Brazilians.

One can only wonder what tricks Nike has up their sleeve when they design the new NFL jerseys. BC if they do something radical like they did with Brazil on traditional jerseys like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. Well, there will be hell to pay. For the neutral critic, it's easier to ignore the tradition element. But I just see a huge eyesore with a shirt like this one -- the derision is probably equal to the new Umbro England shirt with the multi-colored St George crosses (which ironically I didn't mind so much but England fans absolutely loathed).

I wonder if Nike is rebranding the USA's numbers as well. The numbers Brazil had through last year's World Cup were nice, but nothing extraordinary. I like that Nike hasn't changed the USA's font too much since 2006. Australia had new numbers for this year's Asian Cup. The rest except for France, Korea and the Netherlands have used the generic Nike font on offer so it'll be interesting to see what new font Nike rolls out next year. England's new shirts with the multiple crosses was a one off shirt, and the reason for all of crosses wasa good one, just the execution sucked. I would have put them inside the collar instead of all over the shoulders.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Wow Nike. Turning national team jerseys into club ones. Reports from Brazil are saying that Nike will be releasing a Brazil jersey EVERY year until 2016.

Ridiculous. Talk about going after the money. Considering jerseys are actually MORE expensive in Brazil (not to mention that they cost more relative to average income too), this is really pushing it.

So this one will be for Copa America. 2012 for the Olympics. 2013 for Confed Cup. 2014 for World Cup. 2015 for Copa America. 2016 for Olympics again. Really lame Nike. This won't really change my buying habits at all, nor do I suspect that it will really change anyone else's, especially if they release jerseys that are disliked by the majority of Brazil fans.

Here is the source (in Portuguese):

http://marcabrasil.terra.com.br/selecao_brasileira/html/2011/2/selecao_apresenta_novo_uniforme_mas_ja_pensa_em_troca_9511.html

I wonder if Nike is rebranding the USA's numbers as well. The numbers Brazil had through last year's World Cup were nice, but nothing extraordinary. I like that Nike hasn't changed the USA's font too much since 2006. Australia had new numbers for this year's Asian Cup. The rest except for France, Korea and the Netherlands have used the generic Nike font on offer so it'll be interesting to see what new font Nike rolls out next year. England's new shirts with the multiple crosses was a one off shirt, and the reason for all of crosses wasa good one, just the execution sucked. I would have put them inside the collar instead of all over the shoulders.

Actually, Netherlands, Korea, and France all have unique numbers. They are not generic. That's one of the things I liked about Nike, they gave each team an identity, by having unique numbers. You can throw Turkey into this mix as well, they have unique numbers. I'll try to grab pics.

2006 Kit

netherlands_team_ap.jpg

2010 Kit

netherlands-world-cup-2010.jpg

Here's a larger version of the image above:

body_bg_nikebrasil3020111.jpg

Why are the retail authentics constructed differently than the on-field authentics? 'Authentic' should mean authentic, not close enough.

I think this could have been a nice kit if that stripe was a stripe instead of a box and they had used the correct coloring on the change kit. Some of those numbers are pretty rough, too.

The other thing that bothers me is that it says 'Brasil' underneath the crest (I think that's dumb on its own, why does the most iconic team on the planet need its name underneath the crest?), and then it says 'BRASIL' under the collar on the back in a totally different typeface. Just, really disjointed.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They've had "Brasil" under the crest for a LONG time. Over 30 years. Only recently though, has the lettering changed. The World Cup 2010 jersey, Nike stupidly decided to capitalize and increase the font. I don't think it looks bad with a smaller font that only says "Brasil" as opposed to all caps. Refer to the Camisa 13 blog post I linked on the previous page. You can see the previous Nike shirts.

As for the construction of the jersey, well, it's no different than the other sports out there, although I think they should at least call the ones that most of us would ordinarily buy as "replica." But the construction and material is of course different on the ones they've worn on the field and it's been that way for a while. I like the "replica" one better than the "authentic."

I don't mind the font so much but yeah, some of the numbers are terrible. Particularly 9 and 3.

The color is of course pretty controversial. I suppose it's better than the rumored light teal color that a store-owner had told me. But this teal/aqua marine color is bizarre to say the least. Apparently, Nike pushed hard to have a black away shirt and it's nice to know that CBF at least did one thing right and rejected that potential aberration.

Either way it doesn't really matter since Brazil will only wear these shirts for a year. Then they'll announce new ones next year for the Olympics.

I know they've had 'Brasil' underneath the crest for a long time. I just don't think they need it. They have the most iconic soccer kit there is, and internationally, there's nobody more recognizable as it is. Even the crest itself is recognizable without 'Brasil' underneath. The bigger problem is that Nike put it on the back of the shirt, too, and in a different typeface, one that does not complement the crest lettering.

In other leagues, the 'authentic' jerseys are at least made of the same fabrics as the on-field product, even if the actual tailoring is different, but the retail 'authentic' version of this jersey is made of a completely different type of mesh on the sleeves. It's labeled as an 'authentic' by the jock tag, but it really isn't, and that's bothersome. If it's a replica, fine, but don't label it as a 'authentic' then.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Jersey numbers look terrible on tv...watching the Brasil v. France game on ESPN3...not a fan of how the kit looks in action.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• 1 month later...

I'm getting a strange feeling of "Brazil meets Oregon football."

This is honestly something they'd do with the Ducks. But screwing around with the Oregon Ducks, known for their wacky uniforms, and screwing around with Brazil, the most successful international soccer team in the world, are two wildly different things.

Nike usually gets it right in soccer. But this is just hideous.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I've read somewhere that Brazil will only wear the black uniforms in training and they will not be used for games.

Thank God.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I just do not understand the appeal of the 'duct tape' style of numbering. It looks hideous in practically every version I've ever seen it implemented.

I agree. I'm getting a little tired of the sharp angled numbering on a lot of Nike's football shirts. Never been a fan of it, and now it seems to be everywhere. South Korea, Netherlands and now Brazil.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived