2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how people cry about modern teams like Oregon adding a uniform or piping that looks good, but when "traditional" teams add a ridiculous amount of patches on their jersey it's okay. What happens IF this team makes a bowl game? that's 3...

you can say "the black jersey/helmet is pointless" "pointless piping" but isn't this patch pointless? everyone on earth knows they joined the Big 10

So, you think adding a commemorative patch is worse than adding a black helmet and jersey when black isn't in the color scheme? Really?

Worse? Is there some sort of hierarchy of unnecessary uniform design elements? So piping beats patches, BFBS beats piping, and anthcrite is worse than piping? Jesus Christ on a stick judge uniforms based on overall design, not special criteria that some uniforms worse than others. ASU's monochrome black doesn't automatically look worse than ULL's uniforms just because one is BFBS. This is starting to get ridiculous.

A patch is a one year thing. Sometimes they detract from a jersey's overall aesthetic, but after the season's over they're gone. Adding black to a uniform set that had previously been black free is always meant to last. It's not a one year temporary thing. It's there to stay until the next uniform do-over, and even then it has a tendency to stick around through two or three sets. That's the difference. A patch is temporary, and in some cases it looks nice too. Adding black almost always looks awful and it's never done as a temporary measure.

I can only think of one team's colour scheme, either at the pro or scholastic level, that benefited from the unnecessary addition of black; the Calgary Flames. It's muddled up every other identity it's been unnecessarily injected into.

Actually, it's usually done on a temporary measure. very few schools (Oregon, ASU) have actually used black consistently after introducing it. Most of this time, it's just for one game as a "blackout" promotion.

No, it's not temporary. Even if a black jersey is limited to one or two "blackout" games a year it's still being shoehorned into uniform sets year after year. With a patch it's gone by the start of next season.

I get that you like black uniforms, and that's fine. It would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Don't lie/twist reality to make a point though.

When was the last time MTSU has worn back? SMU? Utah? Virginia Tech? Florida State? Kentucky? Mississippi State? FIU? Most of the time, it's temporary or rarely used. They almost ever incorporate it into their color schemes. Even multiple BFBS offenders (Washinton, Rutgers) haven't incorporated it into the color schemes (although with the success UW has had in those uniforms, they actually might). like I said, the only two teams that haven't done this are ASU and Oregon. And I don't like black uniforms. I like black uniforms when they actually create a new uniform for them instead of just recoloring their previous uniform black.

Once it's used, though, the precedent has been set and black always sticks around, in one form or another. It's gotten to the point where people don't want to see teams add black, even when it could work as a trim colour, out of fear that adding black trim will open the door to a black alternate at some point in the future.

And to go with your "it's only worn for blackout games!" argument, blackout games are stupid and the practice should be banned (unless the team has a consistent history of using black as a school colour).

Meanwhile a patch is gone the next year, never to grace the uniform again.

It's funny how people cry about modern teams like Oregon adding a uniform or piping that looks good, but when "traditional" teams add a ridiculous amount of patches on their jersey it's okay. What happens IF this team makes a bowl game? that's 3...

you can say "the black jersey/helmet is pointless" "pointless piping" but isn't this patch pointless? everyone on earth knows they joined the Big 10

So, you think adding a commemorative patch is worse than adding a black helmet and jersey when black isn't in the color scheme? Really?

Worse? Is there some sort of hierarchy of unnecessary uniform design elements? So piping beats patches, BFBS beats piping, and anthcrite is worse than piping? Jesus Christ on a stick judge uniforms based on overall design, not special criteria that some uniforms worse than others. ASU's monochrome black doesn't automatically look worse than ULL's uniforms just because one is BFBS. This is starting to get ridiculous.

A patch is a one year thing. Sometimes they detract from a jersey's overall aesthetic, but after the season's over they're gone. Adding black to a uniform set that had previously been black free is always meant to last. It's not a one year temporary thing. It's there to stay until the next uniform do-over, and even then it has a tendency to stick around through two or three sets. That's the difference. A patch is temporary, and in some cases it looks nice too. Adding black almost always looks awful and it's never done as a temporary measure.

I can only think of one team's colour scheme, either at the pro or scholastic level, that benefited from the unnecessary addition of black; the Calgary Flames. It's muddled up every other identity it's been unnecessarily injected into.

Actually, it's usually done on a temporary measure. very few schools (Oregon, ASU) have actually used black consistently after introducing it. Most of this time, it's just for one game as a "blackout" promotion.

No, it's not temporary. Even if a black jersey is limited to one or two "blackout" games a year it's still being shoehorned into uniform sets year after year. With a patch it's gone by the start of next season.

I get that you like black uniforms, and that's fine. It would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Don't lie/twist reality to make a point though.

When was the last time MTSU has worn back? SMU? Utah? Virginia Tech? Florida State? Kentucky? Mississippi State? FIU? Most of the time, it's temporary or rarely used. They almost ever incorporate it into their color schemes. Even multiple BFBS offenders (Washinton, Rutgers) haven't incorporated it into the color schemes (although with the success UW has had in those uniforms, they actually might). like I said, the only two teams that haven't done this are ASU and Oregon. And I don't like black uniforms. I like black uniforms when they actually create a new uniform for them instead of just recoloring their previous uniform black.

Once it's used, though, the precedent has been set and black always sticks around, in one form or another. It's gotten to the point where people don't want to see teams add black, even when it could work as a trim colour, out of fear that adding black trim will open the door to a black alternate at some point in the future.

And to go with your "it's only worn for blackout games!" argument, blackout games are stupid and the practice should be banned (unless the team has a consistent history of using black as a school colour).

Meanwhile a patch is gone the next year, never to grace the uniform again.

That's a little extreme don't you think? This is college, not the NFL. It's not supposed to be the No Fun League. And I pretty sure very few people actually "fear" the addition of black. They used a black uniform. Did the world collapse? No. Did it affect the outcome of the game? Almost certainly not. Did anything bad happen other than it upset you because it's not part of their color scheme? No. Do the fans get mad? Maybe afterwards if they lose and they blame it on the black, but at the game? No. You're making this a much bigger deal than it actually is.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

That's a little extreme don't you think? This is college, not the NFL. It's not supposed to be the No Fun League. And I pretty sure very few people actually "fear" the addition of black. They used a black uniform. Did the world collapse? No. You're making this a much bigger deal than it actually is.

Actually, I believe the world does collapse, just a little bit, everytime a team adds black alternate jerseys to their look.

I mean, really... those Washington Huskey abominations? They did some damage.

This is a sports uniform message board. Making a big deal out if the small issue that is uniform and logo design is why we're here.

Black for black's sake isn't "fun," "sleek," "intimidating," "tough," an "attitude," or "elite."

It's just a trend, and a terrible looking one at that. Like all trends it will pass.

As for the NFL, what you call "no fun" I call an attention to brand and aesthetic stability.

This is a sports uniform message board. Making a big deal out if the small issue that is uniform and logo design is why we're here.

Black for black's sake isn't "fun," "sleek," "intimidating," "tough," an "attitude," or "elite."

It's just a trend, and a terrible looking one at that. Like all trends it will pass.

As for the NFL, what you call "no fun" I call an attention to brand and aesthetic stability.

I completely agree with that actually. However, I don't think it's a trend. You heard it here first: By the end of the decade, every FBS school will have worn black, white or grey/anthicrite (when it's not usual for them to do so) at least once.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I completely agree with that actually. However, I don't think it's a trend. You heard it here first: By the end of the decade, every FBS school will have worn black, white or grey/anthicrite (when it's not usual for them to do so) at least once.

White? Oh, OK... you win :rolleyes:

I'm going to disagree with you there. It's no different then the teal and purple trend from the 90s or the double blue trend from the past decade. The "blackout"/five shades of grey trend will be played out within the current decade.

White? Oh, OK... you win :rolleyes:

I meant like this

23666_10100208404772013_5257501_59679188_6993387_n_large.jpg

Um, no. Not every school wears Nike and Adidas and Under Armour will not suddenly disappear from the college football market.

Um, no. Not every school wears Nike and Adidas and Under Armour will not suddenly disappear from the college football market.

Yes they will. It's inevitable. Nike will eventually envelop all of division 1 football.

Yes they will. It's inevitable. Nike will eventually envelop all of division 1 football.

There are so many synonyms for "stupid" I could use to describe this post. Please stop.

Nike can't force a design on a school. Penn State is a Nike school, and they removed design elements. Nike can push their waky designs all they want, but the schools with timeless looks know better then to give in.

I like them keeping it simple, but I would have liked to see orange pants on the road

I agree. If they want to keep it simple, they should wear orange/white at home and white/orange on the road. Bizzarely enough, I'm not much of a traditionalist, but I am when it comes to Miami's combinations.

They looked good in all white back in the late 90's:

1997nolesvscanes_display_image.jpg?1286326776

How many 3rd story balconies did your mother drop you off of as a child?

Just stop. The amount of idiocy you've spread across all areas of the board today is unbelievable.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I hope you're joking.

If not, then you have no idea how much money adidas is paying Michigan, Tennessee, Notre Dame, etc. Each of those schools is currently getting more per year than Nike pays all but three of its teams.

Grey will go away without question. Black though, I don't know. The black "trend" has been around for quite some time. Black as a fashion has always been around. (little black dress for women, _____ is the new black, etc) Trust me that sports designers are influenced by high fashion. Military was all the rage on the runways about a year before "pro combat", reebok, Nike and under armor all had camo patterns last year in a variety of ways. That's not a coincidence.

Back to black, sports I think it got real big with the raiders in the 80s, ironically with a team that has always had black. I don't know who did a black jersey without it being one of it's teams colors but I'm sure it was sometime in the 90s. So it's a trend that's been around for about 20 years, that has some staying power, unfortunately.

If anything, it'll get to the point where we'll see a reversal of the trend, and the NCAA will prohibit schools from wearing uniforms that aren't predominantly school colors.

That's a little extreme don't you think? This is college, not the NFL. It's not supposed to be the No Fun League. And I pretty sure very few people actually "fear" the addition of black. They used a black uniform. Did the world collapse? No. You're making this a much bigger deal than it actually is.

Actually, I believe the world does collapse, just a little bit, everytime a team adds black alternate jerseys to their look.

I mean, really... those Washington Huskey abominations? They did some damage.

I would agree with a slight tear in the space/time continuum and there are definitely some quarks out there that have been knocked off their axes due to bfbs

Archived