2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

Bright blue is bright blue, no matter what name given them.

Except their uniforms are dark blue while the turf is more of a royal blue. There's a noticeable difference:

64150008-boise-state.jpg

If that's dark blue, then I'm Teddy Roosevelt.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems to indicate that the uniform Oregon wore in the game and the anthracite one I posted will be Oregon's 2011 uniforms. Wonder if the same is true for Boise and TCU.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2011/01/nikes_phil_knight_enjoys_the_g.html

boardgifsVinceOMG.gif

Oh dear.

Optimus_face.jpg

Nike must be stopped. Whatever the cost.

I agree with you. Although I'm not at all a Nike "hater", I don't like the direction they're taking some teams. Let's just hope 10 years down the road we don't see a carbon and white Oklahoma State or a blue, silver, and black Boise.

I think my exact reaction after reading the Oregon news went something like this:

First I went:

BoardsgifPaulRudd.gif

Then I did this:

Boardgifsshocker.gif

And I finished off with this:

BoyMeetsWorld.gif

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The whole silver/black/neon thing is a Nike color scheme. It's not something that Oregon thought up. The fact that Nike is planning to do this to other schools makes it pretty obvious that they're holding other schools hostage like they're doing to Oregon.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The whole silver/black/neon thing is a Nike color scheme. It's not something that Oregon thought up. The fact that Nike is planning to do this to other schools makes it pretty obvious that they're holding other schools hostage like they're doing to Oregon.

Believe it or not, schools like this stuff because recruits do. I can only speak for TCU, but I can tell you Nike isn't holding TCU hostage. TCU had a large part in design of the new uniforms as well as color schemes. And TCU wore what is wanted to, not what Nike wanted, in the Rose Bowl and it was the same look the team wore vs. USC in the Sun Bowl long before Nike made anything for TCU football.

Believe it or not, schools like this stuff because recruits do. I can only speak for TCU, but I can tell you Nike isn't holding TCU hostage. TCU had a large part in design of the new uniforms as well as color schemes. And TCU wore what is wanted to, not what Nike wanted, in the Rose Bowl and it was the same look the team wore vs. USC in the Sun Bowl long before Nike made anything for TCU football.

you may want to elaborate on what you mean by "schools"...I can see current players,recruits, and some current students liking the fact that nike is taking their artistic liberty and either adding or in some cases entirely removing a university's colors and replacing it with a corporate color scheme...I can pretty much guarantee that the AD's, presidents, and the majority of alumni do not appreciate their athletic teams being devoid of school colors.

nike has proven that they can do progressive designs and utilize a school's colors...tcu is a great example of that but on the other hand you have the ducks...and trust me if a school like tcu continues to reject the one off/promotional designs that nike does then they will find themselves off of the elite list of programs.

I'm not sure how correct that is. I've heard that Nike forced TCU to wear the special black uniforms for the Rose Bowl when TCU originally wanted to wear their purple uniforms. In the Rose Bowl media day conference a couple days before the game, TCU had purple jerseys with the Rose Bowl patch. I like Nike for the most part but they do have a ton of influence on schools.

2lwppjb.jpg

"Influence," by which Nike means "do what we want or kiss your sweet uniforms and money goodbye."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm not sure how correct that is. I've heard that Nike forced TCU to wear the special black uniforms for the Rose Bowl when TCU originally wanted to wear their purple uniforms. In the Rose Bowl media day conference a couple days before the game, TCU had purple jerseys with the Rose Bowl patch. I like Nike for the most part but they do have a ton of influence on schools.

2lwppjb.jpg

Trust me. I'm just a little closer to the program.

Nike wanted TCU to wear the silver helmet and pants they wore vs. Oregon State and the new black tops. TCU wanted to wear purple (be on it on the shirt or pants and helmet) so TCU wore purple. TCU has worn purple/black/purple for many big games (vs. USC, vs. BYU and vs. Boise to name a few) and has never lost int he combination.

TCU wore what it wanted to wear, not what Nike wanted it to wear.

1998 Sun Bowl vs. USC

Sun983.jpg

2008 vs. BYU

Jerry-Hughes-TCU-defensive-end.jpg

2008 Poinsettia Bowl vs. Boise

l105952-1.jpg

what Nike wanted TCU to wear:

Nike-Pro-Combat-TCU-Rose-Bowl-Uniform-4.jpg

what TCU wore:

269110101_005_Rose_Bowl_TCU_v_Wisconsin_Blog.jpg

Bright blue is bright blue, no matter what name given them.

Except their uniforms are dark blue while the turf is more of a royal blue. There's a noticeable difference:

64150008-boise-state.jpg

If that's dark blue, then I'm Teddy Roosevelt.

I absolutely cannot make myself watch a Boise home game... just looking at the field and players makes me ill. I don't think there's any competative advantage for the blue unis on blue field... I just think it makes for one ungodly ugly visual experience.

2lwppjb.jpg

Trust me. I'm just a little closer to the program.

Nike wanted TCU to wear the silver helmet and pants they wore vs. Oregon State and the new black tops. TCU wanted to wear purple (be on it on the shirt or pants and helmet) so TCU wore purple. TCU has worn purple/black/purple for many big games (vs. USC, vs. BYU and vs. Boise to name a few) and has never lost int he combination.

TCU wore what it wanted to wear, not what Nike wanted it to wear.

1998 Sun Bowl vs. USC

Sun983.jpg

2008 vs. BYU

Jerry-Hughes-TCU-defensive-end.jpg

2008 Poinsettia Bowl vs. Boise

l105952-1.jpg

what Nike wanted TCU to wear:

Nike-Pro-Combat-TCU-Rose-Bowl-Uniform-4.jpg

what TCU wore:

269110101_005_Rose_Bowl_TCU_v_Wisconsin_Blog.jpg

I applaud tcu for sticking to their guns but you're naive to think that nike wasn't pissed and that tcu wouldn't fall off the "elite" list and go back to 2nd tier school status...this is big time business and nike always gets their way in the long run...if not they move on to the next school that will play ball.

you'll even notice that they got the traditional powers of ok, texas, tosu, lsu, and bama to play along in the pro combat promotions...the only real elite tier program that hasn't buckled is usc and I'm willing to bet that they are not given consideration when rolling out new gear... at this point I'm betting that they have put themselves in tier 1.5 to 1.75 in nike's eyes.

I applaud tcu for sticking to their guns but you're naive to think that nike wasn't pissed and that tcu wouldn't fall off the "elite" list and go back to 2nd tier school status...this is big time business and nike always gets their way in the long run...if not they move on to the next school that will play ball.

I know for a fact Nike was pissed. I wasn't saying the contrary at all; rather I was saying Nike didn't, and couldn't, force TCU to wear what Nike wanted. I also know for a fact our athletic director is currently touring Nike's facilities all over Asia with Phil Knight and we aren't moving down to a 2nd tier status anytime soon.

Nike goes with who will make them money and TCU is doing that right now.

you'll even notice that they got the traditional powers of ok, texas, tosu, lsu, and bama to play along in the pro combat promotions...the only real elite tier program that hasn't buckled is usc and I'm willing to bet that they are not given consideration when rolling out new gear... at this point I'm betting that they have put themselves in tier 1.5 to 1.75 in nike's eyes.

Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama's Pro Combats weren't super-crazy, though. I mean, the only really noticeable difference in Bama's was the addition of the American flag since you could only see the houndstooth up close.

This seems to indicate that the uniform Oregon wore in the game and the anthracite one I posted will be Oregon's 2011 uniforms. Wonder if the same is true for Boise and TCU.

"As we've always said, what the Ducks decide to wear on game day is ultimately up to them," Nike spokeswoman Erin Dobson said. "We provided the team with a home and away options and they recently chose to include the 2011 version Pro Combat anthracite pants, replacing the white."

http://blog.oregonli...joys_the_g.html

Anthracite?

*flashes bat signal at CWx...*

I want to know this too. So Colorwerx, what is Anthracite?

According to the Pantone Textile library, it's this:

PTX_19-4007_TCX_SRGB.png

I don't know if that's the exact color the article is referring to, or not.

Didn't this just used to be called "charcoal"?

I know for a fact Nike was pissed. I wasn't saying the contrary at all; rather I was saying Nike didn't, and couldn't, force TCU to wear what Nike wanted. I also know for a fact our athletic director is currently touring Nike's facilities all over Asia with Phil Knight and we aren't moving down to a 2nd tier status anytime soon.

What you need to realize, however, is that TCU isn't dependent on Nike like Oregon is. TCU has the freedom to say no. Oregon doesn't.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/01/06/oregon.knight/index.html?eref=sihp

Yep, those last few paragraphs tell you all you need to know about Nike holding Oregon hostage.

Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama's Pro Combats weren't super-crazy, though. I mean, the only really noticeable difference in Bama's was the addition of the American flag since you could only see the houndstooth up close.

There is a reason those schools only participated 1 year each. Nike doesn't want those uniforms. They don't help the cause. Nobody notices them or buys the replicas since they look the same.

Explain Florida State and Mizzou's Pro Combats, then.

"As we've always said, what the Ducks decide to wear on game day is ultimately up to them," Nike spokeswoman Erin Dobson said. "We provided the team with a home and away options and they recently chose to include the 2011 version Pro Combat anthracite pants, replacing the white."

http://blog.oregonli...joys_the_g.html

Anthracite?

*flashes bat signal at CWx...*

I want to know this too. So Colorwerx, what is Anthracite?

According to the Pantone Textile library, it's this:

PTX_19-4007_TCX_SRGB.png

I don't know if that's the exact color the article is referring to, or not.

Didn't this just used to be called "charcoal"?

Nike makes up "unique names" for all of its colors... even ones that already have unique names like Midnight Blue, which Nike refers to as "Obsidian." It was an extra huge pain in my ass when I worked at eastbay and would have to ask the customers if they wanted the Obsidian shoes and they'd keep telling me "No, I want the dark blue ones."

What you need to realize, however, is that TCU isn't dependent on Nike like Oregon is. TCU has the freedom to say no. Oregon doesn't.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_rosenberg/01/06/oregon.knight/index.html?eref=sihp

Obviously the design geek in me doesn't care too much for this, but if some rich alum wants to subsidize the entire football program in exchange for testing out his batshyt insane uniforms thereby leaving more money that can be spent on education, then I can't be too mad about it.

I highly doubt much of that money goes toward education. Nike makes uniforms, not scholarships, though they do provide scholarships in a way since they pay Oregon's players.

Archived