how authentic is authentic

BBTV

There's always talk on this board about "authentic" vs replica, and how to customize a jersey to make it as close to the on-field specs as possible, etc.

This picture got me thinking - if you go to the trouble to get a jersey as authentic as possible, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of all that work if you didn't get it in the size that the player wore? Now of course they all have custom tailoring and your jersey wouldn't be on-field ready, but it'd be as close as you could get... and isn't that the point of it?

I'm willing to bet that Nolan Ryan never wore a jersey this big - so is it really an authentic jersey? Not by the strictest definition (because then yet, it probably is, or at least an authentic reproduction) but by the standards that we use here?

ryanpitch_thumb.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's always talk on this board about "authentic" vs replica, and how to customize a jersey to make it as close to the on-field specs as possible, etc.

This picture got me thinking - if you go to the trouble to get a jersey as authentic as possible, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of all that work if you didn't get it in the size that the player wore? Now of course they all have custom tailoring and your jersey wouldn't be on-field ready, but it'd be as close as you could get... and isn't that the point of it?

I'm willing to bet that Nolan Ryan never wore a jersey this big - so is it really an authentic jersey? Not by the strictest definition (because then yet, it probably is, or at least an authentic reproduction) but by the standards that we use here?

ryanpitch_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to say that you're reading way too much into authentic compared to replica, but you do raise a good point. Mostly, I would assume you're paying a higher cost for materials used and that's it. I have a couple of Mitchell and Ness jerseys, #34 Walter Payton, #80 Jerry Rice, and even a #1 Warren Moon. But I'm 6'3" and 200 pounds, and I can assure you Walter Payton wasn't as tall as me, so that's what I would take from it. In terms of development time, customization would require more time obviously, but comparing a real players' authetic jersey to a replica that would be where I stand.

It's all in the quality of the materials used. I'd actually never thought twice about it until I happened to find some on-field quality jerseys in a mall during the holidays. The way the numbers are stitched on and the thickness of the material used is far different from the replicas, and even a higher quality than some authentics i've seen.

The downside to the on-field quality (and authentics) is that they don't make them in smaller sizes so my skinny @$$ just slips through the neckhole.

TDZiMMB.png

I would say "authentic" would be limited to the accurate materials involved. Or, whatever the specific league says is "authentic". Your point is a good one for discussion though. I am certain the combination of all Mets players throughout their history are not as fat as that asshat.

I would say "authentic" would be limited to the accurate materials involved. Or, whatever the specific league says is "authentic". Your point is a good one for discussion though. I am certain the combination of all Mets players throughout their history are not as fat as that asshat.

He isn't even the biggest twin. Look at his brother (DC for the Cowboys).

ryanpitch_thumb.jpg

Seriously, you are about the last person I'd ever expect to start such an odd thread. You're really splitting hairs on this one. You probably shouldn't start threads when you're high. That aside, I wonder why Tank never told us he got to throw out the first pitch at a Mets game?

BB52Big.jpg

i had a similar question a while back... is it normal to get an "authentic" hockey jersey with a goalie's name on it? cause it's not goalie-cut, and goalie-cut would look ridiculous to wear at a game.

I collect jerseys. I don't deal in replicas at all because they are just not the same. An example of a replica would be a Phillies jersey with tackle-twill instead of chain-stitching. An authentic would be the closest you can get to the actual uniform without it being the actual uniform. The fun part is when you start getting into the game-used stuff. These are the ones that the players actually used in a baseball game. The tagging is different because it was team-issued. The whole thing looks and feels better knowing a player wore it. You can't get much more authentic than game-used. But it was mentioned before, the materials are different when it comes to replica vs. authentic.

So where does "replithentic" fit into all this??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If you want to go by BBVT's thinking, then nothing but a game issued or worn jersey is authentic. End of story.

No, not at all. I realize that the word "authentic" in a jersey-marketing context simply means "officially licensed and made with the same materials as the on-field jerseys" (in some cases - we've seen that NBA authentics don't use the same materials.

My point is simply that if you are someone who scrutinizes every little detail (like many of us here do) before purchasing a jersey of a player, what does it matter if the jersey you are purchasing is clearly different than the one you're trying so hard to match up? I don't really care, as I don't buy jerseys, just wondering if anyone ever thought about that when buying them. I also think that the term "authentic" is misunderstood by a lot of people... but that's a different story.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you want to go by BBVT's thinking, then nothing but a game issued or worn jersey is authentic. End of story.

This is how I feel. If a player wouldn't take it from your closet and wear it on the field, it shouldn't be called 'authentic' in my opinion, and I think they should sell items like this, especially football jerseys.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

No, not at all. I realize that the word "authentic" in a jersey-marketing context simply means "officially licensed and made with the same materials as the on-field jerseys" (in some cases - we've seen that NBA authentics don't use the same materials.

My point is simply that if you are someone who scrutinizes every little detail (like many of us here do) before purchasing a jersey of a player, what does it matter if the jersey you are purchasing is clearly different than the one you're trying so hard to match up? I don't really care, as I don't buy jerseys, just wondering if anyone ever thought about that when buying them. I also think that the term "authentic" is misunderstood by a lot of people... but that's a different story.

IF you're just buying it in the size, material, stitching, etc, and it's not game issued or game worn, it's just a replica. Deal with it. There's a clear line that you made as soon as you said it had to be in the player's size if you're getting it authentic. As soon as you say to be authentic it has to be in the player's size, then it also has to be issued by the team and/or game worn to be authentic. Otherwise it's just a replica.

IF you're just buying it in the size, material, stitching, etc, and it's not game issued or game worn, it's just a replica. Deal with it. There's a clear line that you made as soon as you said it had to be in the player's size if you're getting it authentic. As soon as you say to be authentic it has to be in the player's size, then it also has to be issued by the team and/or game worn to be authentic. Otherwise it's just a replica.

I'm not sure if we're arguing against each other or not...

I am not concerned with the words. I am using the word "authentic" only because that is how they are marketed. I agree that "authentics" really are just high-quality replicas. I'm with AH that the term "authentic" should only apply to "game-ready" shirts, but I really don't care, so I'm just using the words as they are now. "On Field / Game Ready", "Authentic", "Replica".

I'm just asking why go through the trouble to get custom lettering, match up fonts, inspect possible counterfeits, etc., if the best you're going to get out of it is something that is still not what the player is wearing.

So yes - I agree that "authentic" should mean "game ready", and then there's "replica level 1" (currently marketed as "authentic", "replica level 2" (currently markted as "replithentic" or EQT or something), "replica level 3" (currently markted as the $80 replicas), etc.

People seem to be more willing to accept slight inaccuracies when deciding to purchase "replica level 2 or 3" jerseys, but go all nuts trying to get every last detail right on a "replica level 1" shirt, when it's still just a replica.

Just trying to start a discussion as I'm just interested to hear what people have to say, I don't really have a specific point or side to argue here.

"authentic" jerseys are (supposedly) made of the same materials that game jerseys are made from.

Your question, regarding the player's size and having the jersey in the same size that the player wore, refers to what are called "pro-cut" jerseys.

"Pro-cut" jerseys are not game-worn or game-issued, but are simply "authentic" jerseys made in the same size that the player wore, and are often sizes not available at retail. (Example: adding/subtracting length, a size 42 NFL jersey, etc.)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Why am I going to get a jersey in the size of a player? For example, I'm thinking of getting an Angels jersey this year with the gold halo. If get an authentic and I customize it, more than likely I'd get Scioscia because I don't really like any of the current players to put them on the jersey and Scioscia was my favorite player growing up as a Dodger fan (which I still am). So would I get a Scioscia sized jersey knowing that I'm only 5'5" and 155? I'd be swimming in it. Heck you could fit me and a pregnant woman with sextuplets in that jersey! I just bought a small replica Kings' 1967 jersey on Saturday night and it's still somewhat large on me as I don't have wide shoulders. I'm going to get it in a size whether it's authentic material or replica, because I want to wear it.

Um...really? Because they had this guy:

81443831.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Why am I going to get a jersey in the size of a player? For example, I'm thinking of getting an Angels jersey this year with the gold halo. If get an authentic and I customize it, more than likely I'd get Scioscia because I don't really like any of the current players to put them on the jersey and Scioscia was my favorite player growing up as a Dodger fan (which I still am). So would I get a Scioscia sized jersey knowing that I'm only 5'5" and 155? I'd be swimming in it. Heck you could fit me and a pregnant woman with sextuplets in that jersey! I just bought a small replica Kings' 1967 jersey on Saturday night and it's still somewhat large on me as I don't have wide shoulders. I'm going to get it in a size whether it's authentic material or replica, because I want to wear it.

I don't know why. I wouldn't, and I doubt most would. But in your head, you're smart enough to know that you just have a good replica. Maybe that's a better way of phrasing my original question - when you (the CCSLC Universe) go nuts with customization or go all neurotic about matching fonts and patch sizes etc. for an "authentic" jersey, do you realize that you just have a really good replica and not a "real" jersey?

I don't know why it matters. Re-reading this topic I don't really know why I started it.. must be posting when I'm in my ambien-induced fog.

Archived