how authentic is authentic

BBTV

If you want to go by BBVT's thinking, then nothing but a game issued or worn jersey is authentic. End of story.

No, not at all. I realize that the word "authentic" in a jersey-marketing context simply means "officially licensed and made with the same materials as the on-field jerseys" (in some cases - we've seen that NBA authentics don't use the same materials.

My point is simply that if you are someone who scrutinizes every little detail (like many of us here do) before purchasing a jersey of a player, what does it matter if the jersey you are purchasing is clearly different than the one you're trying so hard to match up? I don't really care, as I don't buy jerseys, just wondering if anyone ever thought about that when buying them. I also think that the term "authentic" is misunderstood by a lot of people... but that's a different story.

People like the employees of NFL Properties? It's a marketing strategy ploy and one they often can't even get right. Buy a Chris Hovan or Joseph Addai or Jermichael Finley jersey and see how close it is to what's on the field. It's not authentic or even close, it simply resembles the player's jersey and may use some or all of the same materials.

You're right though, it is a choice the buyer makes; I paid good money for the Archie Manning replica throwback they sell, the one that has the faux sewn on numbers and NOB...except that the Saints' jerseys weren't stitched back then, they used heat-pressed or screened numbers. I realized that and bought it anyway.

New-Orleans-Saints-8-Archie-Manning-Throwback-Black-Jersey.jpg

Manning_Archie_Team_Action.jpg

Which raises another question: what about player-specific alterations? The Saints had five sleeve stripes but Archie always cut his off as shown in the pic. Do you cut your bought jersey to match? The M&N Manning throwback actually comes that way, though I think it's an earlier version ('71 or so) because the sleeve stripes are wider and the number doesn't have the gold outline.

Archie%20Manning%20Throwback%20Black%20Jersey%20New%20Orleans%20Saints%208.jpg

Here's Archie in the white version of the M&N jersey, apparently before getting the hang of cutting the sleeves (note "orphan" gold stripe at bottom):

DR1208%20(10).jpg

As for "authentics" (which deserve the quotation marks any time they're mentioned), the NFL is pathetic IMO for their epic failure to get their own products right. I mean, if they don't know what the jerseys should look like, who does?

Why am I going to get a jersey in the size of a player? For example, I'm thinking of getting an Angels jersey this year with the gold halo. If get an authentic and I customize it, more than likely I'd get Scioscia because I don't really like any of the current players to put them on the jersey and Scioscia was my favorite player growing up as a Dodger fan (which I still am). So would I get a Scioscia sized jersey knowing that I'm only 5'5" and 155? I'd be swimming in it. Heck you could fit me and a pregnant woman with sextuplets in that jersey! I just bought a small replica Kings' 1967 jersey on Saturday night and it's still somewhat large on me as I don't have wide shoulders. I'm going to get it in a size whether it's authentic material or replica, because I want to wear it.

I don't know why. I wouldn't, and I doubt most would. But in your head, you're smart enough to know that you just have a good replica. Maybe that's a better way of phrasing my original question - when you (the CCSLC Universe) go nuts with customization or go all neurotic about matching fonts and patch sizes etc. for an "authentic" jersey, do you realize that you just have a really good replica and not a "real" jersey?

I don't know why it matters. Re-reading this topic I don't really know why I started it.. must be posting when I'm in my ambien-induced fog.

Anything to do with my making essentially the same point in the 'China Counterfitfeit' thread?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived