Padres uniform announcement - Tuesday January 25

larrypep

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a really good point. If they're doing the same outline treatment for NOBs and numbers, they're going to be illegible and functionally worthless, if not in violation of the bylaws regarding these things. If they're going to make them a solid color to stand out, then they won't match the front of the jersey and they'll look slapdash and dumb. There's no right answer with these jerseys. Just a big bad idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So it looks like everything is becoming clear.

Uniforms:

The new camos are of course out (IMO big upgrade over the old ones).

Gray away uni comes out later today which is essentially the old "sand" uni with gray fabric, the rest of the uni is the same (IMO a downgrade as I preferred the sand but not a bad change.

Home and Navy alt remain the same for 2011.

Logos:

The home plate with script "Padres" remains with a minor change that the "San Diego" has been removed from it for 2011.

The "SD" logo is still the secondary logo but is the officially "preferred" logo of the team for 2011.

Overall I must say I'm happy with the changes. Primary logo is less busy, the simpler SD logo gets more play, the new camo uni is an upgrade, and they didn't mess with the alt blue and home unis which I was a fan of.

Here's my proposal:

SanDiegoPadres_PF2_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

+1

maybe the padres can actually do something right for once in their history, as a long suffering padres fan i hope so, but i definitely wont hold my breath....

That color scheme is what always thought the padres should have done. On the new away, it's all right, but so much blander than the sand. Downgrade.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Go Friars! I like these uniforms. I hope they eventually go back to the brown/yellow or brown/orange color scheme.

5390970003_1cd03d23a0_b.jpg

231256462 by ThePhilHay, on Flickr

I'm ok with this if it's a one-year stop-gap, assuming the Padres are really due for a major uni change in 2012.

One question I have is why is everyone assuming they're due for a major change in 2012? What is that rumor based on?

I don't think it looks that bad, but that ridiculous wordmark has got to go. Seriously, what is that doing on a major league uniform? Just stare at it for a couple of seconds. It looks ridiculous. The font is cool enough, why not just have SAN DIEGO written in that font regularly? Yes, it might looks like a Yankees clone, but at least it will look professional.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

So they are wearing the home cap on the road as well? It looks so bland. Not to mention I loved the sand unis. I wish they went with the sand jerseys and a new script.

On the cap, it's more likely Venable just put the wrong cap on. This doesn't look like an "official" photo.

Archived