Padres uniform announcement - Tuesday January 25

larrypep

I know this'll piss off Philly fans, but I think they should go maroon and light blue.

Why?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this'll piss off Philly fans, but I think they should go maroon and light blue.

What about maroon/yellow-gold? Now that's a look MLB is seriously lacking, and the Pads would stand out. Well, brown/yellow-gold or brown/orange/yellow-gold or just brown/orange/sand would make them stick out, as well.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I guess he figured "what doesn't?" I think maroon and light blue would be a terrific color palette. For the Phils.

The only problem with the Padres' color scheme is that it's fairly close to that of the Brewers. So have the Brewers go back to good old blue and gold and leave the contemporary colors to a team that's always changing its look. Easy fix (though choosing the One True Blue Path would mean the end of the Brewers' lucrative double-dip marketing).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Something always bugged me about the road script...I think because it's an actual logo that doesn't match the home wordmark. If San Diego was in a script, it would be more cohesive. Otherwise just set it in block lettering.

I was never a fan of the khaki/sand/whatever color it was they were wearing. It just looked dirty. I suppose if you need to wear a color other than gray, maybe make it a different color than dirt.

I don't like the new camouflage uniforms. Way too dark. If you can't read the team's script/numbers/lettering from the stands at the field, what's the point? Way overboard with the tribute.

All in all, it's still a boring identity. I would definitely go either navy/sand or brown/light blue for the schemes. Emphasizing brown would at least be a nod to the team's history. And it would be a unique scheme that would stand out in an athletic culture of monochromatic blues.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The only problem with the Padres' color scheme is that it's fairly close to that of the Brewers. So have the Brewers go back to good old blue and gold and leave the contemporary colors to a team that's always changing its look. Easy fix (though choosing the One True Blue Path would mean the end of the Brewers' lucrative double-dip marketing).

That would be great, but if we are given the power to unilaterally tell teams which colors to use, let's make the Marlins teal and the Astros navy and orange.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the Padres would look great in brown, sand/Vegas gold, and orange. The San Antonio Riders of the WLAF had this combo...looked pretty good, IMO. Would be unique to MLB, and give brown to people who want brown, keep the sand color, and add orange as a late-80s fauxback.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Someone asked me to post the "new" colors once revealed...here's the new primary palette:

SanDiegoPadres_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

For comparison's sake, here's the former set:

SanDiegoPadres_FRC_2010_SOL_SRGB.png

Note the difference between the "Sand" color, and the "Khaki" road uni color...

What did the Padres wear uniform wise in 2006? Was it Khaki or Grey? Can colorworx help answering this? Thanks guys, Chris

I just posted this on the previous page. See above.

What about maroon/yellow-gold? Now that's a look MLB is seriously lacking, and the Pads would stand out. Well, brown/yellow-gold or brown/orange/yellow-gold or just brown/orange/sand would make them stick out, as well.

Or maroon, dark gray, and white.

This is something I've been wondering about. Is it because they're the "Padres" that a lot of people think they should go with brown in their uniforms? Or is it because no one else in MLB uses brown? If it's due to the fact that they're called the Padres then a lot of teams need to start reworking their color schemes. I've never been to India but I'm betting there aren't a lot of navy and white with just a hint of orange tigers running around. I'm also guessing there aren't a lot of blue and white with red accents bear cubs out in the wild either. :D

On topic, the new road jerseys aren't as original as the sand look but they don't look awful. One thing I think we can all agree on is that the Padres need to find something they like and stick with it. Has any team in professional sports changed their color scheme as many times as the Padres have? Over such a short period of time?

BB52Big.jpg

Houston Astros, anyone?

This is something I've been wondering about. Is it because they're the "Padres" that a lot of people think they should go with brown in their uniforms? Or is it because no one else in MLB uses brown?

Because brown is a beautiful and strong color, sadly underused in sports, and they have a history with it.

Vancouver Canucks:

green and bluish-purple with the stick-in-rink; black, red-orange and yellow with the flying V; black, white, red, and yellow with the laser skate; navy blue, medium blue, and red with the orca; green and royal blue with a whole junk drawer of logos

I think the fascination with the Padres in brown has more to do with its uniqueness and how good the very very first Padres uniforms looked than the color of the robes the friars themselves wore. While I do think that the very first brown and yellow looked neat for its time, I really feel like they got it right on (most of) the 2004 redesign by coming up with something that looks smooth, modern, and eye-pleasing. The team that should wear brown is the Indians.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ah, I still miss the brown and gold. They started out damn-near perfect in 1969, and have been working their way downhill since then, sometimes slowly and sometimes at a breakneck pace.

Couldn't agree more! It's interesting that for many years the color scheme has been more about evoking the location than evoking the nickname. Which is one way to do it, I suppose, but I like it better when the nickname and colors produce a more cohesive identity.

I was recently thinking how the same thing has happened with several NFL franchises as well (and I think we discussed this in another thread). For instance, I would contend that the Falcons and Saints both got it right the first time, and just about every one of their changes has been a downgrade. But maybe that's just because I'm old... I realize the designs for NFL teams must be tweaked a bit to account for modern jersey cuts, etc., but some of the aesthetic decisions are just mystifying to me. I mean, the Saints could match their helmets, pants, and jersey-trim golds back in 1967, but today, someone makes the conscious decision to use three different shades. Same with the Cowboys and their mismatched blues and silvers, as we have discussed ad nauseum. I just don't get it.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Houston Astros, anyone?

This is something I've been wondering about. Is it because they're the "Padres" that a lot of people think they should go with brown in their uniforms? Or is it because no one else in MLB uses brown?

Because brown is a beautiful and strong color, sadly underused in sports, and they have a history with it.

I'm a Browns fan so of course I agree with you. I was just curious to see where people were coming from on it.

BB52Big.jpg

Vancouver Canucks:

green and bluish-purple with the stick-in-rink; black, red-orange and yellow with the flying V; black, white, red, and yellow with the laser skate; navy blue, medium blue, and red with the orca; green and royal blue with a whole junk drawer of logos

I think the fascination with the Padres in brown has more to do with its uniqueness and how good the very very first Padres uniforms looked than the color of the robes the friars themselves wore. While I do think that the very first brown and yellow looked neat for its time, I really feel like they got it right on (most of) the 2004 redesign by coming up with something that looks smooth, modern, and eye-pleasing. The team that should wear brown is the Indians.

Interesting. Why is that?

BB52Big.jpg

I couldn't care less if a team doesn't match the colors of their animal mascot, but if your mascot is a human who wears a distinct outfit, I think it's a little bit different. Especially if that human appears on your uniform in patch form. Yet another reason I dislike the red Patriots uniforms - forget about this history angle, but the mascot is wearing a blue uniform right on their helmet. It's kinda contradictory.

Not something I'm losing sleep over though. In the grand scheme of sports logos / uniforms, it's a relatively minor thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I couldn't care less if a team doesn't match the colors of their animal mascot, but if your mascot is a human who wears a distinct outfit, I think it's a little bit different. Especially if that human appears on your uniform in patch form. Yet another reason I dislike the red Patriots uniforms - forget about this history angle, but the mascot is wearing a blue uniform right on their helmet. It's kinda contradictory.

Not something I'm losing sleep over though. In the grand scheme of sports logos / uniforms, it's a relatively minor thing.

So I can put you in the brown "because they're the Padres" column? I'm glad it's not keeping you up at night. Then again, that's what all that Ambien is for right?

BB52Big.jpg

So I can put you in the brown "because they're the Padres" column? I'm glad it's not keeping you up at night. Then again, that's what all that Ambien is for right?

Meh, I'm kind of indifferent. It's just that I can understand the "brown because they're the Padres" argument way more than the "Jaguars aren't teal!" one.

Archived