super bowl XLV to be played on grass

duma

Waitaminute...could someone explain to me how Cowboys Stadium could handle a grass field? Let alone one that will be put in on top of a concrete floor in two weeks (or so).

I'm not sure that the article quoted above is referring to actual grass, or just maintaining and painting the existing artificial turf.

It isn't.

We would have been told how they would build a platform for this:

537973714662f0f618e7b.jpg

Since that press release came out in December, it would have been much bigger news then. Now, both the campuses of TCU (Steelers practice facility) and SMU (NFC) both have grass fields. The NFL professionals go onto the campuses and prepare those fields and fan areas for next week. The NFL even has a partnership with Toro, who provides all equipment. Even a Toro corporate press release dated two weeks after the TSA one does not say the game is to be played on grass.

5379135149abceb59b13b.jpg

TCU also has an indoor facility with artificial grass and SMU does not.

SamBaugh3.jpg

SamBaugh4.jpg

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got excited when I first saw this thread only to find out it's not true. They should put in real grass for this game, that'd be great

Why is it that Reliant Stadium in Houston, retractable roof and all can have a natural grass surface and still host different events all-year, yet Jerry-World, aka: Cowboys Stadium can't, or it it 'won't'?

I was under the impression that one of the benefits for having a stadium with a retractable roof is so that you CAN have natural grass playing surface.

To spend $1B on a new stadium and they're playing on an artificial green rug makes no sense. The argument that too many events are held there just doesn't hold up since Houston utilizes their real-grass stadium year round too.... Indianapolis, same goes for them for playing on field-turf.

Also, this thing where the NFL has already announced that the roof will be closed is hard to understand, especially now that they've given the new Meadowlands Stadium a Super Bowl. A part of me hopes that choice ends up backfiring. I went to Super Bowl XXVI in Minneapolis, and it was around 0° and blizzard conditions the day and night before as we were traveling to many of the pre-Super Bowl festivities and everyone in my party was constantly complaining as to why they would put a Super Bowl there while we were going to and from the car and driving in that, yet the Super Bowl the year before was sunny and beach weather on the Gulf Coast.

it doesn't have to be in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, but if it's good football weather I don't see why the Jerry-World roof shouldn't be left open ...

/ rant :grin:

Why is it that Reliant Stadium in Houston, retractable roof and all can have a natural grass surface and still host different events all-year, yet Jerry-World, aka: Cowboys Stadium can't, or it it 'won't'?

I was under the impression that one of the benefits for having a stadium with a retractable roof is so that you CAN have natural grass playing surface.

To spend $1B on a new stadium and they're playing on an artificial green rug makes no sense. The argument that too many events are held there just doesn't hold up since Houston utilizes their real-grass stadium year round too.... Indianapolis, same goes for them for playing on field-turf.

There still is the issue with properly growing grass. The roof, retractable or now does not allow for grass to properly grow.

Example: Amsterdam ArenA (retractable roof opened in 1996)

amsterdamarena.jpg

Turk Telekom Arena which opened in Istanbul earlier this month is going to have the same issue, thus they have an artificial system, and their roof will not be added until the off season.

Since the stadium attempts to host more than football, it is not that feasible with the floor being covered with a tarp/plywood for other events.

It will hold more.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54497/DAL_Gamebook.pdf

2009 Week 2

Paid Attendance, 105,121

No, it will not.

The "darker" navy seats are placed in the area in which was the SRO "party plazas" which allowed the 105k+ record from that Giants game. Even if the temporary seating was not there, the Fire Marshall would not allow as many people in either endzone. The lack of a plaza can be better seen here:

53791352355572b7d387b.jpg

Here is a local news video. At the 0:13 mark, you can see the Party Plaza with temporary seats. At the end, they also talk about the Cowboys turf without the star.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/NFL_Moves_Into_Cowboys_Stadium_Dallas-Fort_Worth-113246884.html

I got excited when I first saw this thread only to find out it's not true. They should put in real grass for this game, that'd be great

Also, this thing where the NFL has already announced that the roof will be closed is hard to understand, especially now that they've given the new Meadowlands Stadium a Super Bowl. A part of me hopes that choice ends up backfiring. I went to Super Bowl XXVI in Minneapolis, and it was around 0° and blizzard conditions the day and night before as we were traveling to many of the pre-Super Bowl festivities and everyone in my party was constantly complaining as to why they would put a Super Bowl there while we were going to and from the car and driving in that, yet the Super Bowl the year before was sunny and beach weather on the Gulf Coast.

it doesn't have to be in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, but if it's good football weather I don't see why the Jerry-World roof shouldn't be left open ...

Another reason why THIS is the best playing surface in the NFL:

univofphoenixstad03.jpg

:P

I'm not sure you want to use Reliant Stadium in support of your argument. I think the surface was rated one of the worst by the NFL players. Ask the Patriots and Wes Welker what they think about the Reliant turf.

I'm willing to bet that most players would prefer to play on the newer synthetic surfaces than on a hastily sodded grass field.

Plus the outdoor seating - Jones wants to set a new record.

Why would people standing outside the stadium count as attendance for the game? If thats how its judged, than Ohio State would have 150,000 for every game they play at home.

Do those extra fans at the OSU games have to purchase tickets for whatever area they're in?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Found this on the Cotton Bowl's twitter, http://yfrog.com/f/h4enxoaj/

Looks like the NFL logo will be on the 50 again this year, even with the new Super Bowl branding.

superbowlfield.jpg

The Steelers are the road team, so the end zone with their name should be on the right, not the left. What are they doing?

Great catch, and I really would have never known that if you hadn't said anything. But after looking at old photographs, you're exactly right.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It will hold more.

2009 Week 2

Paid Attendance, 105,121

No, it will not.

The "darker" navy seats are placed in the area in which was the SRO "party plazas" which allowed the 105k+ record from that Giants game. Even if the temporary seating was not there, the Fire Marshall would not allow as many people in either endzone. The lack of a plaza can be better seen here:

Here is a local news video. At the 0:13 mark, you can see the Party Plaza with temporary seats. At the end, they also talk about the Cowboys turf without the star.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/NFL_Moves_Into_Cowboys_Stadium_Dallas-Fort_Worth-113246884.html

It will and its going to.

It will hold more.

2009 Week 2

Paid Attendance, 105,121

No, it will not.

It will and its going to.

Ti seats 80K for normal games and ther was not indication (but there still could be) that they will remove the armrest between each seat to add more chairs. The bid committee told the NFL for the Super Bowl, that the stadium will hold 93,221 (regardless of SRO passes), so why can it get past 100K with a Fire Marshall with concerns and a security issue, and the stadium GM saying that only 12K were added to a 80K stadium?

Inside the NFL just sold only ~93K tickets, so you are falling into their false claim with the plaza passes.

Archived