super bowl XLV to be played on grass

duma

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would 100,000 people even want to go to the Super Bowl? Can't see the commercials or comfortably take a crap during the Black-Eyed Peas.

But generally for some reason 100k do want to see Keith Urban who is doing the pre-game.

Then again, Maroon5 will be playing in downtown Dallas before Keith Urban hits Cowboys Stadium.

Don't know who is playing Sundance Square (downtown Ft. Worth) as the city has bought ESPN to be there starting Jan. 31 but it seems that they just bought the ESPN exposure and no big shows.

The field at Candlestick Park is BERMUDA grass, which for lack of a better term, is a glorified weed.....and not the "good" kind of weed that San Francisco has become known for :mojoto:

Sure, it may look pretty on tv, but when you see it up close you can tell how crappy it really is.

Last April, I went on the tour at Cowboys Stadium. They said also that the armrests can be removed so additional seats can be added. The whole system is very fancy but damn, $600 for a seats high up with no arm rest?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Last April, I went on the tour at Cowboys Stadium. They said also that the armrests can be removed so additional seats can be added. The whole system is very fancy but damn, $600 for a seats high up with no arm rest?

That price would be a bargain for the SB these days.

FWIW, I remember reading when the stadium opened that the plan was to pack over 100,000 in for the SB. The paid attendance was huge for the Saints-Cowboys game on Thanksgiving but I couldn't remember the exact number. Just looked it up and it was 93,985 so surely they'll be able to squeeze another 6,000 people in there.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The field at Candlestick Park is BERMUDA grass, which for lack of a better term, is a glorified weed.....and not the "good" kind of weed that San Francisco has become known for :mojoto:

Sure, it may look pretty on tv, but when you see it up close you can tell how crappy it really is.

Um, you don't know your grass. Common bermudagrass IS a weed, hybrid bermudagrasses (there are many) aren't. All bermudagrass athletic fields and golf courses are of the hybrid type and feature very fine blades and are mowed very low. Hybrid bermudagrasses grow and cover very fast which is why they're used for athletic fields and golf courses. The turf at Turner Field is Tifway 419 bermuda and it's like a low pile carpet (I know, I've taken the tour).

However, bermudagrass is a warm season grass that loves high heat, sunlight, and lots of water. So I was surprised when you said Candlestick had bermudagrass. Turns out, it doesn't. The turf at Candlestick, according to every source I can find on the internet, is bluegrass, not bermudagrass. Makes more sense given the average temps in San Francisco.

I got excited when I first saw this thread only to find out it's not true. They should put in real grass for this game, that'd be great

Why is it that Reliant Stadium in Houston, retractable roof and all can have a natural grass surface and still host different events all-year, yet Jerry-World, aka: Cowboys Stadium can't, or it it 'won't'?

I was under the impression that one of the benefits for having a stadium with a retractable roof is so that you CAN have natural grass playing surface.

To spend $1B on a new stadium and they're playing on an artificial green rug makes no sense. The argument that too many events are held there just doesn't hold up since Houston utilizes their real-grass stadium year round too.... Indianapolis, same goes for them for playing on field-turf.

Also, this thing where the NFL has already announced that the roof will be closed is hard to understand, especially now that they've given the new Meadowlands Stadium a Super Bowl. A part of me hopes that choice ends up backfiring. I went to Super Bowl XXVI in Minneapolis, and it was around 0° and blizzard conditions the day and night before as we were traveling to many of the pre-Super Bowl festivities and everyone in my party was constantly complaining as to why they would put a Super Bowl there while we were going to and from the car and driving in that, yet the Super Bowl the year before was sunny and beach weather on the Gulf Coast.

it doesn't have to be in the 60s, 70s, or 80s, but if it's good football weather I don't see why the Jerry-World roof shouldn't be left open ...

/ rant :grin:

Another reason why THIS is the best playing surface in the NFL:

univofphoenixstad03.jpg

:P

Guess you didn't watch the recent BCS Championship. They might as well have been playing on the turf at Soldier Field.

Found this on the Cotton Bowl's twitter, http://yfrog.com/f/h4enxoaj/

Looks like the NFL logo will be on the 50 again this year, even with the new Super Bowl branding.

superbowlfield.jpg

The Steelers are the road team, so the end zone with their name should be on the right, not the left. What are they doing?

Great catch, and I really would have never known that if you hadn't said anything. But after looking at old photographs, you're exactly right.

They're listed the "wrong" way on the game balls, as well:

5386446770_e3c9433eda_b.jpg

Guess you didn't watch the recent BCS Championship. They might as well have been playing on the turf at Soldier Field.

For the reason why, take a look here:

http://auburnturf.blogspot.com/2011/01/update-why-was-bcs-turf-so-slippery.html

Guess this is what happens when the BCS insists on laying a new field the week of the game so we can tear it up afterward and sell it.

Another reason why THIS is the best playing surface in the NFL:

univofphoenixstad03.jpg

:P

Well, I did. And I will admit that there is a problem there, and it is when the stadium has to host a number of big games right in a row.

The way I understand it, is that after the Cardinals season, they put down a whole new layer of sod on top of the original field for the Fiesta Bowl, and then had to tear that out and put another one down for the BCS game. The root system never really has a chance to take hold in time for the game.

It's certainly a problem, but during the NFL season, it's the best field. I believe it's been rated the highest (or very nearly to the top) in the league by the players in every season since the stadium opened.

Looks like the NFL logo will be on the 50 again this year, even with the new Super Bowl branding.

superbowlfield.jpg

yeah, I was hoping we'd get a Lombardi/SB logo at the 50 yd line, like in SB III. Thought that looked nice.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

superbowlfield.jpg

I wonder if the NFL template is just laying there upside down and we are looking at the opposite of the TV cameras? But I guess it does look painted already.

EDIT: After looking at other photos, the NFL has bucked tradition and put the AFC on the left side in an odd numbered Super Bowl.

iq5b7nF.png

superbowlfield.jpg

The Steelers are the road team, so the end zone with their name should be on the right, not the left. What are they doing?

Great catch, and I really would have never known that if you hadn't said anything. But after looking at old photographs, you're exactly right.

They're listed the "wrong" way on the game balls, as well:

5386446770_e3c9433eda_b.jpg

I hadn't noticed it before, but it seems more intuitive to have the road teams' endzone be on the left. The balls though.... <smh>

superbowlfield.jpg

It's Dallas...you should not expect perfection. :P

87Redskins.png

EDIT: After looking at other photos, the NFL has bucked tradition and put the AFC on the left side in an odd numbered Super Bowl.

Interestingly enough, Super Bowl XXXI was when they ended the practice of putting a 2D helmet of each team with their logo replaced with the conference logo in the endzone, something they'd been doing since Super Bowl VIII. Don't ask why, but for some reason I saw it as a real honor to have your teams' helmet portrayed in such a way and felt gypped when all the Packers got was a straight-up blue 'N' without the helmet.

ya guys sorry for the mistake. it will be the artificial turf after all. was kinda hoping for grass but o well... anyway check out these pics from another forum.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=71419337&postcount=2628

and i was wondering what the cowboys did when they opened the place, they were able to get 105k in at the time. so my guess they will try to top that for the SB.

Um, you don't know your grass.

Uh, yeah I do. Don't troll me into telling me I don't

So I was surprised when you said Candlestick had bermudagrass. Turns out, it doesn't. The turf at Candlestick, according to every source I can find on the internet, is bluegrass, not bermudagrass. Makes more sense given the average temps in San Francisco.

Your sources are wrong. Ive seen the field and walked on the field enough to know that it IS in fact a type of bermudagrass, and the fact that it is used for an athletic field is the reason why I referred to it as a "glorified" weed. BTW, if you plan to troll me some more, I know my weeds. Know them enough to handle material such as glyphosate, diuron, and prodiamine.

Done.

Um, you don't know your grass.

Uh, yeah I do. Don't troll me into telling me I don't

So I was surprised when you said Candlestick had bermudagrass. Turns out, it doesn't. The turf at Candlestick, according to every source I can find on the internet, is bluegrass, not bermudagrass. Makes more sense given the average temps in San Francisco.

Your sources are wrong. Ive seen the field and walked on the field enough to know that it IS in fact a type of bermudagrass, and the fact that it is used for an athletic field is the reason why I referred to it as a "glorified" weed. BTW, if you plan to troll me some more, I know my weeds. Know them enough to handle material such as glyphosate, diuron, and prodiamine.

Done.

Glyphosate! Damn, my business analyzes water and soil for that $h!t.

It's where I sit.

It will hold more.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54497/DAL_Gamebook.pdf

2009 Week 2

Paid Attendance, 105,121

No, it will not.

The "darker" navy seats are placed in the area in which was the SRO "party plazas" which allowed the 105k+ record from that Giants game. Even if the temporary seating was not there, the Fire Marshall would not allow as many people in either endzone. The lack of a plaza can be better seen here:

53791352355572b7d387b.jpg

Here is a local news video. At the 0:13 mark, you can see the Party Plaza with temporary seats. At the end, they also talk about the Cowboys turf without the star.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/NFL_Moves_Into_Cowboys_Stadium_Dallas-Fort_Worth-113246884.html

It will and its going to.

Ti seats 80K for normal games and ther was not indication (but there still could be) that they will remove the armrest between each seat to add more chairs. The bid committee told the NFL for the Super Bowl, that the stadium will hold 93,221 (regardless of SRO passes), so why can it get past 100K with a Fire Marshall with concerns and a security issue, and the stadium GM saying that only 12K were added to a 80K stadium?

Inside the NFL just sold only ~93K tickets, so you are falling into their false claim with the plaza passes.

They will find away to hit 100,000 even with the people outside that they are going to count. Does that 93K count the suites and if it does I call bs.

Archived