New NBC Univrsal Logo Unveiled

ddub53

Maybe TCR is right and I just love things that people have already made. Or maybe I've progressed into that high and mighty designer phase. Or maybe this stuff just really is good.

In any case, as I said before, I do like the new logo a lot (though not necessarily better than what they have).

Design critic Armin Vitt says it's good AND better AND more appropriate.

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/the_nbc_peacock_is_gone_and_rightfully_so.php

Here's the excerpt where he talks about why flipping out over losing the peacock is what I'd call silly and what he'd probably call dumb. There's a lot more in there about why he actually likes the new mark, too.

The reaction from the media — from the New York Times, to Huffington Post, to Gawker, to Media Bistro, to whoever else still thinks every new logo should be recalled — has been surprisingly ignorant and short-sighted. Everybody has expressed irreparable emotional damage that the NBC peacock logo is gone and that we will never see it again. Reportedly, even NBC anchor Brian Williams asked at the town hall meeting what was happening with its dear logo: “It’s our Coca-Cola. It’s our Apple. It’s our Ford Motor Company, that instantly recognizable thing.” Fear not Mr. Williams, et al. The NBC logo belongs to the NBC network, that fourth-tier network on television that nobody watches anymore, except for when Parks and Recreations is on. It’s also funny that no one lamented the loss of Universal’s globe. The peacock? Don’t touch it! The globe? Kill it, who cares!

Strategically, there is no reason whatsoever that the NBCUniversal logo should feature the NBC peacock logo. NBC is only one property of NBCUniversal. By that same token, the logos of Syfy, iVillage, USA Network, and Telemundo should all be up there in the logo’s business. But they are not, because NBCUniversal is a parent company that does not face consumers, that has to represent a dozen other properties, and that, believe it or not, have nothing to do with NBC, a network few people want to be associated with, unless you cranked up the hot tub time machine and traveled back to the 1990s when Seinfeld was on the air, and Jay Leno wasn’t the biggest douche in late night.

Archived