Gridiron Outside of the US

fumbler

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's the entire list (As of last October anyway) of the Gridiron teams in Europe.

http://americanfootballeurope.com/

Wow i am gob smacked i did not realise that there was so many American Football (Gridiron) clubs in the world let alone just Europe.

Are these Amatuer Semi proffesional clubs?

Mostly professional at the high levels. There's a whole site for guys to communicate with teams in Europe. It's not big money obviously, but it gives them a chance to play at least.

http://www.europlayers.com/

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Here's the entire list (As of last October anyway) of the Gridiron teams in Europe.

Wow i am gob smacked i did not realise that there was so many American Football (Gridiron) clubs in the world let alone just Europe.

Mostly professional at the high levels. There's a whole site for guys to communicate with teams in Europe. It's not big money obviously, but it gives them a chance to play at least.

Only if i was 10 to 15 years younger, i still got 2 more seasons in me i am currently 38 i told my wife i'd retire at 40

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

• 4 weeks later...

This is sort of related. I heard this morning on the radio here in Iowa that Drake University (Des Moines) is going to play a game against a Mexican "All-Star" team in the Kilimanjaro Bowl in Tanzania. It is believed to be the first organized game of American Football to be played on the African Continent.

http://www.kilibowl.com/

Gridiron? Don't you mean football? There is no sport called gridiron...

Good catch there champ you've worked yourself up to some of the best material I've ever seen on these boards you should seriously consider writing this stuff down and send it into SNL you could be the next Chris Farley, or the half smart skinny bloke that looks like Farley's Girlfriend.

Oh and to tell you that there is a sport called Gridiron What's this?

Oh and this

and this

another one

Theres more but i have proved a point maybe beyond your understanding Thread Troll

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Gridiron? Don't you mean football? There is no sport called gridiron...

Good catch there champ you've worked yourself up to some of the best material I've ever seen on these boards you should seriously consider writing this stuff down and send it into SNL you could be the next Chris Farley, or the half smart skinny bloke that looks like Farley's Girlfriend.

Oh and this

and this

another one

Theres more but i have proved a point maybe beyond your understanding Thread Troll

Terms coined by people outside the home countries that play the sport have no meaning, sorry... The sport is Football, or if you like specifically American Football and Canadian Football.

And to answer the original question, BC Lions.

Terms coined by people outside the home countries that play the sport have no meaning, sorry... The sport is Football, or if you like specifically American Football and Canadian Football.

Actually to quote from footy's link above...

The term "gridiron" in reference to football first developed in the United States. It originally referred to the sport's playing field, alternately known as the "grid", due to the its patterned markings which give it the appearance of a gridiron. The terms "gridiron" and "grid" were thence applied loosely to the game itself.

It's a term that's still used as a nickname for both variants of the game. I certainly understood what footy meant, and understood why he used that term once I saw where he is from (a country which has it's own, very entertaining, brand of football). I get extremely annoyed with EuroSnobs that get upset when we refer to soccer as "soccer" and not football, we shouldn't be acting the same way when non-North Americans refer to our sports by a different name to differentiate it from their own local games.

tigercatssignature-1.png

The term "gridiron" in reference to football first developed in the United States. It originally referred to the sport's playing field, alternately known as the "grid", due to the its patterned markings which give it the appearance of a gridiron. The terms "gridiron" and "grid" were thence applied loosely to the game itself.

It's a term that's still used as a nickname for both variants of the game. I certainly understood what footy meant, and understood why he used that term once I saw where he is from (a country which has it's own, very entertaining, brand of football). I get extremely annoyed with EuroSnobs that get upset when we refer to soccer as "soccer" and not football, we shouldn't be acting the same way when non-North Americans refer to our sports by a different name to differentiate it from their own local games.

But wasn't soccer as a term invented by the English, the inventors of the game itself?

I don't see what's so wrong with calling American football, Gridiron football. Mostly because it distinguishes it from soccer and also because the game is pretty popular in Canada, Mexico, Japan and the Pacific Rim.

Anyway, in other news...Drake University (non-scholarship FCS program) is playing a Mexican universities all-star team in the first-ever GRIDIRON football game in Africa in May. The game will take place in Tanzania.

Probably should've called up a board member here to the logo though.logo-date.png

http://www.kilibowl.com/about/

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

But wasn't soccer as a term invented by the English, the inventors of the game itself?

I believe that it was, which makes the EuroSnobs complaints all the more amusing... :grin:

tigercatssignature-1.png

Only if i was 10 to 15 years younger, i still got 2 more seasons in me i am currently 38 i told my wife i'd retire at 40

footy, I'm honestly surprised to hear you're 38. I would have imagined you as a lot younger.

As for the Euro Football, I used to support the Berlin Thunder in the NFLE. I miss that league. It was a great way to develop players in the NFL off-season.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

footy, I'm honestly surprised to hear you're 38. I would have imagined you as a lot younger.

As for the Euro Football, I used to support the Berlin Thunder in the NFLE. I miss that league. It was a great way to develop players in the NFL off-season.

Is that due to my immature attitude? :rolleyes: I had a slow life when i was younger and took a while to peak :cry:

And in refference to the Euro League imo there is enough room for an American League in the off season, What happens to all the grounds in the off season? Who uses them?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Is that due to my immature attitude? :rolleyes: I had a slow life when i was younger and took a while to peak :cry:

And in refference to the Euro League imo there is enough room for an American League in the off season, What happens to all the grounds in the off season? Who uses them?

It depends. Some use them for concerts, some use them for college pre-season events, some use them for other minor sports (not minor league). It varies on different levels. I don't know if any of them are used for MLS clubs. I don't think so. Most MLS teams have their own stadiums. Some are used for MLB, though. Like the Florida Marlins use the Dolphins stadium in the Spring/Summer.

It depends. Some use them for concerts, some use them for college pre-season events, some use them for other minor sports (not minor league). It varies on different levels. I don't know if any of them are used for MLS clubs. I don't think so. Most MLS teams have their own stadiums. Some are used for MLB, though. Like the Florida Marlins use the Dolphins stadium in the Spring/Summer.

Revs and Sounders use the NFL stadiums in town. Think that's it though, unless I'm forgetting one...

(Houston uses the University of Houston's stadium, though...)

6fQjS3M.png

Revs and Sounders use the NFL stadiums in town. Think that's it though, unless I'm forgetting one...

I've heard Dynamo may get a new stadium.

Why does the NFL not start a off season league of Reserves players ex college players etc, in the off season with about half as many teams as the NFL say even 20 is a nice even Number in Cities, towns, areas that do not have NFL clubs.

A Development league, but use the American name.

League Establishment Development Gridiron Emerging National Sportstars. LEDGENS prouounced Legends.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

I've heard Dynamo may get a new stadium.

They are getting one actually. Think they've started working on it down in Texas.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived