What Sports Moment Gives You Chills?

nash61

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Steelers losing that game last night gave me chills. I've seen them win that style of game so many times. I got chills from something just for once going against the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a little taste of their own meds.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Steelers losing that game last night gave me chills. I've seen them win that style of game so many times. I got chills from something just for once going against the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a little taste of their own meds.

+1.

Pittsburgh is luckier than Les Miles. They magically pull out wins in the last minute often because of the other team's error. Just look at the end of the Steelers-Ravens game in the playoffs. Baltimore made a blunder that let Pittsburgh escape with a win.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

And usually if they can't do that, the refs will help with an embarrassing blown call or five (see: SBXL, the game against Miami this season, etc.).

Of course I can't prove this, but if it had been Hines Ward that caught and then fumbled to a Steeler then it would've been ruled as a catch and fumble rather than an incomplete pass like they called on Swain. I know in my heart that's what they would've called and it would've given the Steelers a first down, like the Packers should've had.

Even Aikman and Buck saying that the last pass could be pass interference is freaking ridiculous. No, it wasn't even close to pass interference. Their guy just didn't catch it. Don't even try to turn that moment into a controversy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wish I would have been a student at OU at this time. It's crazy because I love both teams, but considering Ohio's generally mediocre football program, this is just awesome to me. God, what I wouldn't do to have been in the O-Zone and have jumped out of the stands to storm Peden.

Ohio beats Pitt, 16-10 in overtime :)

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4qpzZ3XEY

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

EDIT: One of the many reasons why I hate the Celtics. Go to 3:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLZPkf6m0AM

Pierce flops, then as Gasol attempts to run past him, Pierce sticks his leg out tripping Pau. When Kobe gives the ball to Brown, and shields Rondo from the ball, rondo blantly shoves him.

Damn. I can't remember if this was before or after Pau Gasol got hit by the air around Rasheed Wallace and acted as if he got shot in the face.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

And usually if they can't do that, the refs will help with an embarrassing blown call or five (see: SBXL, the game against Miami this season, etc.).

Of course I can't prove this, but if it had been Hines Ward that caught and then fumbled to a Steeler then it would've been ruled as a catch and fumble rather than an incomplete pass like they called on Swain. I know in my heart that's what they would've called and it would've given the Steelers a first down, like the Packers should've had.

Even Aikman and Buck saying that the last pass could be pass interference is freaking ridiculous. No, it wasn't even close to pass interference. Their guy just didn't catch it. Don't even try to turn that moment into a controversy.

Do you really expect Joe Buck to call a game competently?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I wish I would have been a student at OU at this time. It's crazy because I love both teams, but considering Ohio's generally mediocre football program, this is just awesome to me. God, what I wouldn't do to have been in the O-Zone and have jumped out of the stands to storm Peden.

Ohio beats Pitt, 16-10 in overtime :)

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN4qpzZ3XEY

Same here. From what I've heard the town blew up that night. I was a high school senior at the time and in my four years there the football team never gave us anything to get riotous over.

The basketball team on the other hand...

courtstreet.jpg

I took this picture with my phone ten minutes after OU beat Georgetown in the tournament last Spring. I watched the game from a balcony above Court Street and had a front row seat to watch the literal March Madness unfold. One of my favorite sports experiences I've ever had.

PvO6ZWJ.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm going to bore you all now. Apologies in advance.

I have been a Spurs fan since I became aware of professional sports at the age of seven. It was a great way to become exposed to NBA basketball; the Spurs were and still are the only big league team in town, and back then the Spurs had a fun, high-scoring team. George Gervin was the first option then - think Kevin Durant at 6'7" to get an idea - but he had pretty good help in Mike Mitchell, a bona fide 20-point scorer. Artis Gilmore wasn't what he had been in the ABA but he remained a top-flight center. The Spurs had some opportunities to win a title before I followed basketball, but once Magic Johnson joined Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the NBA championship was pretty well closed off to any other Western Conference team in the 1980's. As a kid, I didn't believe that - I just thought the Spurs weren't getting the breaks.

But the championship window, such as it was, closed on the Gervin/Mitchell/Gilmore Spurs well before the end of the decade. Horrible seasons followed, thought 1986-87 was a bright spot for one reason: the NBA Draft Lottery. Specifically, the super-athletic seven-footer sure to be picked first for the winner of that lottery. I didn't know beans about college basketball - still don't - but if everyone else was excited about David Maurice Robinson, well, I was pleased that the Spurs finally caught a break. Of course, in those days even the silver linings had clouds - Robinson would not be able to play for two years because of his US Navy committments. Whatever. Like Spurs GM Bob Bass said at the time, "We've waited 14 years - what's two more?"

Unlike most things in life, David Robinson proved equal to the hype. In his rookie season of 1989-90, Robinson's Spurs won a club record 56 games, improving by 35 over the previous season. And they lost valiantly in seven games to the eventual conference champion Portland Trail Blazers. A magical season. And Robinson wasn't a one-man gang. 1983 Rookie of the Year Terry Cummings averaged 22 points alongside Robinson's 24. Second-year swingman Willie Anderson averaged nearly 16, mid-season acquisition Rod Strickland 14. Robinson's fellow rookie, small forward Sean Elliott, averaged 10. And the best part for us Spurs fans? Not one starter was thirty years old, and only Cummings (29) was over twenty-five. Sure the bench needed strengthening, but a starting lineup like this was a superb basis for a future perennial contender, right?

Well...not so fast. 1990's Executive of the Year Bob Bass did not exactly justify his award that summer. His answer to the Spurs bench problem was to go for experience. But experience is only useful if accompanied by production, and the trio of veterans Bass acquired - Paul Pressey, Sidney Green, and David Greenwood - had nothing left in their tanks. Bass' 1990 draft picks (Dwayne Schintzius, Tony Massenburg, and Sean Higgins) proved largely ineffective. Worse, Terry Cummings missed 15 games and appeared slower and heavier than he did in 89-90. The Spurs did well to win 55 games, but in reality they were considerably worse than in 1990. The #7 seed Golden State Warriors exposed the Spurs flaws in a first-round knockout.

(I don't intend to recount all of Spurs history here - I just want to lay the foundation of what went into the chilling highlight I am about to share)

Things got worse in 1991-92. Willie Anderson developed shin problems which derailed his career; Rod Strickland held out to start the season. David Robinson played his all-around best season only to see it end prematurely by a thumb injury. Terry Cummings was sharper in 1992, but an off-season knee injury all but ended his NBA career. The Spurs won only 47 games and, without Robinson's services, got swept by the Phoenix Suns in the first round.

Two steps forward, two steps back. This was the pattern now. And though I was approaching the age of 20, I still had that child-like superstitious feeling that the breaks just weren't going the Spurs' way. After a relatively successful 1992-93, Sean Elliott was traded to Detroit. The Starting Line-Up of the Future, except for Robinson, was now gone, just three years later. Dennis Rodman came on, and neither John Lucas nor Bob Hill could coach him. David Robinson won the MVP but got outplayed in the Western Conference Finals by the man who won it the year before. Sean Elliott returned to San Antonio but retained a maddening reluctance to assert his game. The talented Charles Smith was acquired to play alongside Robinson but his legs proved unsuitable for the task. Finally, in 1997, Murphy raised his ugly head: the Spurs lost every significant player to injury, and the club lost a record 62 games - just two years after winning 62 games. But, just as it was ten years prior, there was a Draft Lottery with a future Hall of Famer for a jackpot.

Tim Duncan was not an eye-popping physical talent like David Robinson, but his offensive arsenal was matchless among big men. His low-post moves recalled the glory days of Kevin McHale, but unlike McHale Duncan had 20-foot shooting range and the ability to handle the ball. Duncan's footwork on both ends of the court was flawless, his help defense was top-notch, and his rebounding prowess was superb. Was Tim Duncan the last break the Spurs needed to finally reach the summitt?

Maybe. Duncan's rookie year was an individual success, but the Spurs were whisked without much fuss from the 1998 playoffs by the Utah Jazz. The 1999 regular season had been a smashing success, but consider all of Spurs history, in context, up to the start of game two of the 1999 Western Conference Finals:

1) The Spurs did earn the best record in the NBA in 1999, but they did the same thing in 1995, when they lost to the Houston Rockets

2) The Spurs did sweep the LA Lakers in the second round, but that Laker team was a divided and distracted team, vulnerable to such a result

3) The Spurs were 1-1 after two games against the #8 seed in round one - championship teams don't lose at home to #8 seeds, do they?

4) Portland narrowly missed a win in game one of the WCF

Well, when Portland established an 18-point lead in the 3rd quarter of game two, it was hard not to see the Spurs' old demons coming back to haunt. The Spurs had had their two steps forward - the steps back were definitely on the way.

It wasn't going to happen without a fight. The Spurs threw scoring runs of 8-2 and 9-0 on Portland and got right back into the game. Portland gradually pushed their lead back a little, and with 3:15 left in game two of the Western Conference Finals, Portland led by eight, 80-72.

The Spurs had one more scoring run left in them. In the next 2:42, the Spurs would outscore Portland 11-4 - 84-83, Blazers. Now the Spurs would need a stop.

One step forward, one step back: the Spurs got their stop, but Portland would grab the offensive rebound. Forced to foul, Sean Elliott sent Damon Stoudamire to the free throw line with 12.6 seconds. Stoudamire only made one of two free throws - a break! - which leads us into the clip below:

Archived