New NFL Team Logos - Expansion, Relocation, and Minor League

Artisan219

I started a project in the later part of 2009 to bring the NFL up to 40 teams. I did this as an art project mostly, but I also tried to be sensitive to the realities of the NFL and did my level best to pick markets that would be plausible. I relocated some teams, rebranded a few teams, and experimented with an NFL-UFL merger.

EDIT: I'm also thinking of creating a training league of a few smaller-market teams.

Artisan219_Logo_Birmingham.jpg

The obvious question, I guess, is what is a Mulciber? Simply, Mulciber is another name for Vulcan, which is the Roman name for Hephaestus, Greek god of fire and forge. Birmingham has a giant cast iron statue of Vulcan, but Birmingham had a WFL team called the Vulcans already and I think most people would associate Vulcans with Star Trek.

Artisan219_Logo_OklahomaCity.jpg

Is it unoriginal to name a team in Oklahoma City the Cyclones? Yeah, probably, but that doesn't mean it isn't appropriate or fitting.

Artisan219_Logo_Portland.jpg

Primals or Primates, doesn't really make a huge difference to me, but Portland is definitely a contender for an NFL franchise.

Artisan219_Logo_SaltLakeCity.jpg

This is actually a rebranding of the Jacksonville Jaguars. It'd shock me if any NFL team had worse attendance. I picked Salt Lake because it was deserving and because I thought the snow leopard logo would work well with the local ski industry.

Artisan219_Logo_SanAntonio.jpg

I'll admit, the desperado thing in Texas has been done to death, but I just couldn't resist the idea of Cowboys vs Outlaws.

Artisan219_Logo_Toronto.jpg

This is a rebranding of the Buffalo Bills, an illustration of the likelihood that the team will move to Toronto after Ralph Wilson passes. I picked a Triceratops for 2 reasons. First, because Toronto uses a dinosaur in the NBA, I thought it fitting. And secondly, the paleontologist that first discovered the triceratops thought it was a giant bison, which nods to Buffalo.

Artisan219_Logo_Washington.jpg

This design came as a request by a friend to try to rebrand the Redskins to both keep the Native American theme while making a move to be more ethnically sensitive.

Lots of the wordmarks seem very outdated. I could barely read the L in Leopards too. the Tricers and Primals fonts in particular look more fit for a Nickelodeon show from the 90's than the NFL. I like the Birmingham logo the best. It reminds me of one of the NFL Europe teams who have a hammer in their logo, but I ant remember their name. (Berlin?)

and as eliasrappaport said, you should use the more recent NFL logo with 8 stars and updated lettering.

Alright, this is the second time today that someone has commented on something that's explained in the post. Is the text part getting lost in the images? The reason SLC looks like Jacksonville is because it is the same team after a relocation.

As for the NFL logo, I just grabbed it off the internet and didn't pay it any attention.

Mascots don't always match their city (Detroit Lions, for example), but I'm curious as to which logos feel off.

You have some good beginings of logos here, I think they just need to be refined. NFL logos have a really clean and basic look to them that your logos do not. I think that the Tricers is the best of you bunch. The Outlaws has the most room for improvment, I see a hat, bandana and a large black space between, maybe work with that and define that space better.

...didn't pay it any attention.

That's about all there is to say. The people that spend their time looking at this stuff and giving constructive feedback value 'paying it attention.'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That's about all there is to say. The people that spend their time looking at this stuff and giving constructive feedback value 'paying it attention.'

Hey, I'll admit that in this case I didn't do my due diligence, but I didn't even know the NFL had tweaked the shield logo until a few hours ago.

Alright, this is the second time today that someone has commented on something that's explained in the post. Is the text part getting lost in the images? The reason SLC looks like Jacksonville is because it is the same team after a relocation.

As for the NFL logo, I just grabbed it off the internet and didn't pay it any attention.

Mascots don't always match their city (Detroit Lions, for example), but I'm curious as to which logos feel off.

No, it's that people don't necessarily hang on your every word. News flash: Yours isn't the only post on this board. There are lots to look at and though I can't speak for anyone else, I'm not always reading every last line of every one.

Remember, you're asking us for feedback. Those who take the time to look at your work and comment on it need to be treated not just with respect but given the benefit of the doubt if they missed something. But respect would at least be a good start. :rolleyes:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Great looking logos - I love the Toronto Tricertops logo the best.

San Antonio needs more detail, a bit dull IMO. Still a nice group of logos.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

This is a new design for my San Antonio, but I need to give credit where credit is due.

First and foremost, I would like to acknowledge Firefly. This really is his design, I just picked it up and ran with it a little bit.

Artisan219_Logo_SanAntonio-2.png

I would also like to acknowledge bigmike, as this hoodie design is based off of his concept.

SanAntonioNightmares-1.gif

You can see their original concepts here.

Archived