The Dogg

LA Lakers uniforms 1/30/2011

The Lakers are wearing a "throwback" today. It's supposed to be from the West/Chamberlain era, but the name font is from the current jerseys.

The Lakers are wearing a "throwback" today. It's supposed to be from the West/Chamberlain era, but the name font is from the current jerseys.

They are honoring the 1971-72 squad. I also noticed that they are using the current font. They need to look like this

5401850837_f8f22a9ab1.jpg

lakers71-72 by ThePhilHay, on Flickr

They are honoring the 1971-72 squad. I also noticed that they are using the current font. They need to look like this

5401850837_f8f22a9ab1.jpg

lakers71-72 by ThePhilHay, on Flickr

The waistband on the throwback shorts appear to be wrong as well. In that pic, the waistbands appear to be solid purple; the waistband on the shorts today are striped.

In spite of the flaws, they're pretty sweet unis. To me the biggest flaw is how huge the jerseys are, Kobe's is just hanging off of him, looks bad.

I love the drop shadows, super sweet

They should use the Drop Shadow Style on the Current Unis. Looks Great and easier to read from far away.

Despite the inaccuracies, this style of uniform is infinitely better than the WNBA style they use today.

I love those shadow numbers.

Me too. Many of the NFL concepts that I do (pencil/paper) use that font. I think it'd look sweet on a football jersey. Something about the "3" and "2" just look awesome, especially together.

I love those shadow numbers.

I don't. They look horrible and clunky. The current ones work so much better.

That wordmark has always bothered me. The "S" just looks so out of place, like it was just tacked on at the last second.

That's not the current wordmark, It's the old wordmark but not tilted.

ovhe45u2vol6qvkkuesdtfmh9.gif

Here's the current...

qpg85of1tq7rjejie0uwpril7.gif

and according to the graphic on the main site, the waistband is right...

d9hffxnbekh1wlckvngez2gqp.gif

Each one of those previous Lakers unis are almost perfect.

If they used the stripes of the 80/90s unis (white/purple/white) and the numbers of the 60s unis, I think that'd be the perfect Lakers combo. Those drop shadows also take me back to the early Kobe years. Kobe with his small fro and the drop shadow numbers. It's too bad that they switched those unis just before the 99/00/01 three-peat.

EDIT:

Actually looking at the main site archives. I basically want the '74-'78 unis, but with a horizontal/non-slanted wordmark:

5w581bshke0osvoe5zcx0a5m6.gif

The Lakers seem to stink it up when they wear throwbacks at home. I'm sure there are counterexamples, but this is the second time in recent memory I recall the Lakers losing at home to the Celtics while wearing throwbacks. Heck, a few years ago they even lost at home to the Wizards while wearing throwbacks.