2011 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

infrared41

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't fully believe that Shannon Sharpe walks among the the greats, but I don't understand football as well as others do.

That makes two of us. After seeing Dent get in over Bettis and any one of Rams80's "circle of death" receivers, I don't understand what it is exactly that constitutes a hall of famer with the voting committee. Doesn't Shannon Sharpe have three Super Bowl rings? Maybe that's what it is. It seems that a good portion of the media place a lot of importance on how many championships "a player won." It's usually the first thing out of a lot of their mouths when discussing a player's career. I've always believed that teams win Super Bowls but what do I know? Who knows what the hell it is they look for.

BB52Big.jpg

I feel like they got it right, everyone that should've got in did, and I don't think Bettis or Martin were first ballot guys.

Either you're a hall of famer or your not. This "yes, but not on the first ballot" nonsense is just plain stupid. How can a player not be good enough in their first year of eligibility suddenly become good enough in their sixth year of eligibility? Explain that to me.

BB52Big.jpg

I feel like they got it right, everyone that should've got in did, and I don't think Bettis or Martin were first ballot guys.

I'm with Infrared in that I never do buy the first-ballot stuff in any sport, but even so, you can't be serious about Martin. Isn't Martin 5th all-time in rushing yards? Isn't that

enough?

I know you can only elect so many, but Martin was a guy I really thought would've been elected this year (as opposed to Shannon Sharpe, who I thought would take at least a year). Oh well, I hope he makes it next year. He should, at

least.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I don't fully believe that Shannon Sharpe walks among the the greats, but I don't understand football as well as others do.

That makes two of us. After seeing Dent get in over Bettis and any one of Rams80's "circle of death" receivers, I don't understand what it is exactly that constitutes a hall of famer with the voting committee. Doesn't Shannon Sharpe have three Super Bowl rings? Maybe that's what it is. It seems that a good portion of the media place a lot of importance on how many championships "a player won." It's usually the first thing out of a lot of their mouths when discussing a player's career. I've always believed that teams win Super Bowls but what do I know? Who knows what the hell it is they look for.

I'm with you. I hate when people evaluate guys based on how many rings they have. No single player has ever won a super bowl by themselves, they've all just been very fortunate to play on a team good enough to put them in the position to do good things once in the Super Bowl. It's a team sport where an individual is 1 out of 22 starters, not even counting replacements and subs. Players don't win super bowls, teams do. Unfortunately, I fear they may take this into evaluation when Roethlisberger comes up for consideration. If Roethlisberger goes into the hall of fame, I'm boycotting the hall of fame.

Either you're a hall of famer or your not. This "yes, but not on the first ballot" nonsense is just plain stupid. How can a player not be good enough in their first year of eligibility suddenly become good enough in their sixth year of eligibility? Explain that to me.

I completely agree. It's not like they're going to go out and score 20 more TD's. The numbers they have now are always going to be their numbers and they aren't going to get better. Either you're in or you'r out. I hate this idea that some voters have that they can create some kind of "Super-hall" of guys voted in first versus guys voted in after that.

I'm stunned that Chris Carter didn't get in.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In all fairness, this year was going to be a tough year for a lot of players. Richard Dent and Shannon Sharpe were 6th and 7th respectively on my personal ballot, and worthy Hall-of-Famers. So I can't complain about the selection process, as it's a hell of a lot better than Basketball or Baseball. To be honest though, as far as first-time electees are concerned... who cares, honestly. It's like arguing the merits of championship teams, sure you can claim the 1972 Miami Dolphins are better than the 1985 Chicago Bears, the 1998 Denver Broncos, and even the 2007 New York Giants, but who really cares, they all won in the end.

Pretty funny how some people still hold grudges against me for stupid posts I made months ago in the College Football thread.

But hey, while we're using the same unfunny insults over and over, shouldn't you be writing a sarcastic post about Favre getting into the HOF, complete with liberal uses of the phrases "gunslinger" and "like a little kid out there"?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The internet never forgives, and the internet never forgets. You're gonna get turned down for a job one day when your prospective employer, a noted herpetophobe, traces your IP and discovers your love for that Diamondbacks alternate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On reflection it's a good class this year, spread across generations and positions. I actually think that Sharpe is a great pick for changing the expectations in his position, and nice to see an unfashiinable position like Tight End, represented.

The great wide receiver mash up will only get sorted in a weak year for first eligibility. It's a pity for all 3 guys, but I don't see how you get unanimity on which one is at the head of the queue.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived