Tampa Bay Lightning New Logos

KCScout76

I have to admit, after a few days of its unveiling and regardless of the "Tampa Bay Maple Wings sponsored by Intel and Some Energy Drink" comments, the new look is growing on me. As much as what I thought they had logowise was already perfect and didn't need changing. I also think the shoulder patch would look much better at center ice.

The new look is growing on me too, but still...the jerseys need to have back the victory stripes!!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New York Times did a story on the unis today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/sports/hockey/08logo.html

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

By November, SME and the Lightning had settled on blue and white, with two blues in contention: the deep blue used by the Maple Leafs and the navy used by the Yankees.

I guess their making no efforts to hide the fact they ripped off the Maple Leaf's scheme. Thank god they didn't go with Navy though. Would have made this already awful rebrand 10 times worse.

By November, SME and the Lightning had settled on blue and white, with two blues in contention: the deep blue used by the Maple Leafs and the navy used by the Yankees.

I guess their making no efforts to hide the fact they ripped off the Maple Leaf's scheme. Thank god they didn't go with Navy though. Would have made this already awful rebrand 10 times worse.

Pathetic. Blatantly ripping off storied franchises' colors doesn't give you "history." This is shaping up to be one of the biggest sports uni farces of all time.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Icethetics posted this, a look at the rejected designs.

0208-tbl-smebranding.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

0208-tbl-smebranding.jpg

Yikes... I expected better from SME. Bottom right would have been cool for a Mooterus-esk third jersey.

Third from the top, middle column...

Is that not the logo the Lightning Trademarked back in 2002 (Check the article below) for an alternate jersey that never saw the light of day? I heard elsewhere that the logo would incorporate red to Tampa's colour scheme just like on the SME sketch. Perhaps SME resurrected this idea during the designing process for the new logo?

http://www.boltsmag.com/2004/06/18/the-logo/

To me it looks like their take on being the Oklahoma City Lightning. Is that template commonly used? I'm pretty sure someone over in concepts (who does really good work) uses that exact template.

It's the official Reebok template, based on a picture of Crosby from when the Edge unis first debuted.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I will say it again. Black pants w/ a bolt, black gloves, and black home helmets would improve this look ten-fold.

Think Team Canada in blue instead of red.

Wow. I agree with Sharky. That would look sharp.

I will say it again. Black pants w/ a bolt, black gloves, and black home helmets would improve this look ten-fold.

I'll pay that. Might feel a bit odd having a jersey completely devoid of that colour (e.g. when worn by a fan), but it would certainly go a long way towards improving the set!

I'll pay that. Might feel a bit odd having a jersey completely devoid of that colour (e.g. when worn by a fan), but it would certainly go a long way towards improving the set!

THIS is the biggest problem with the 49ers uniforms.

Yikes... I expected better from SME. Bottom right would have been cool for a Mooterus-esk third jersey.

Is that not the logo the Lightning Trademarked back in 2002 (Check the article below) for an alternate jersey that never saw the light of day? I heard elsewhere that the logo would incorporate red to Tampa's colour scheme just like on the SME sketch. Perhaps SME resurrected this idea during the designing process for the new logo?

If I read that article correctly, did SME do the first rebrand? If so, why go back with them if you didn't like what you got?

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

If I read that article correctly, did SME do the first rebrand? If so, why go back with them if you didn't like what you got?

They sure did and the more I look at it the more certain I am that its the same logo. Makes perfect sense. Luckliy they didnt go with Red. What a disaster that would have been...

Archived