Tampa Bay Lightning New Logos

KCScout76

When one team wears it exclusively for close to a century and another team that's never used it switches to it after close to 20 years in their own unique colour scheme.

It's not Tampa's fault they've only been around 20 years. And I still hold to the fact that all they did was drop excess colors to get to blue and white. Not like they went from completely different colors and said "hey, let's do white and blue," even if they did that (which granted would allow more of an argument for *hehehe* "stealing") I still wouldn't have a problem with it. There are plenty of teams with congruent color schemes, rangers/habs, isles/oilers devils/sens (save for the logos with gold/bronze/whatever featured nowhere else on the unis are some that come to mind off the top of my head.

The problem is that the Lightning had successfully managed to avoid infringing on the Leafs' look for 20 years. If they had debuted as a blue and white team then the "in 30 team league there's going to be some overlap" argument would hold water. They didn't though. They debuted with their own unique to the league colour scheme. Now they're infringing on a look that's been the domain of only one team for close to a century.

They said as much in their press conference, citing the Leafs, as McCarthy pointed out. They want to look like a classic, old time team. The problem is that they aren't one. They're a 90s sunbelt expansion team. They are certainly able to develop a classic, clean look that incorporates black, blue, and silver. So why pretend to be something they're not?

Or think of it this way. Say the Ducks lose the gold and start wearing orange and black. After the Flyers have been the only team to wear those colours since they came into the league.

The black certainly helps. In a few seasons, if they add black outlines to the stripes and logos they'll have a decent look.

And drop the TAMPA BAY on the road whites. It looks awkward.

But hey, you are entitled to your opinion, that's fine.

As are you. Just remember that as my opinion's nothing but my opinion, your opinion's nothing but your opinion ;)

About the only thing I can agree with here is dropping "TAMPA BAY" from the roads. That wasn't executed very well. There, focusing on the positive just saved a lot of time.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Futhermore, the Lightning are sticking with one of the previously used colors in that shade for royal blue, but the Lightning changed their blue a few years back. They used a lighter blue (which went better with black) for the large majority of their history, so you can't really say "this has been one of their colors for 20 years."

True:

TampaBayLightningBlue_2001_SOL_SRGB.pngTampaBayLightningBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

However, I should point out that the Maple Leafs also changed their shade of Blue at one point in their history:

TorontoMapleLeafsBlue_1981_SOL_SRGB.pngTorontoMapleLeafsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I'm not entirely sure of the exact season this change took place, but I think I'm close.

Futhermore, the Lightning are sticking with one of the previously used colors in that shade for royal blue, but the Lightning changed their blue a few years back. They used a lighter blue (which went better with black) for the large majority of their history, so you can't really say "this has been one of their colors for 20 years."

True:

However, I should point out that the Maple Leafs also changed their shade of Blue at one point in their history:

I'm not entirely sure of the exact season this change took place, but I think I'm close.

This post makes me sad for some reason.

On the Lightning broadcast Wednesday night they touched on the updates with the team CEO. He said further tweaks may come, including a return of the victory stripes as early of next season. Also said Esposito was pushing hard for the return of the bolt design on the pant shells. Ended off by saying that they are too far along in the production process for huge changes but this may not be the final set we are seeing today.

I have to say, I am happy at the way the process has gone, even if the results leaves something to be desired. For a team to tweak a new look based upon fan reaction/input is a good thing to see from this team.

On the Lightning broadcast Wednesday night they touched on the updates with the team CEO. He said further tweaks may come, including a return of the victory stripes as early of next season. Also said Esposito was pushing hard for the return of the bolt design on the pant shells. Ended off by saying that they are too far along in the production process for huge changes but this may not be the final set we are seeing today.

I have to say, I am happy at the way the process has gone, even if the results leaves something to be desired. For a team to tweak a new look based upon fan reaction/input is a good thing to see from this team.

Agreed.

True:

Didn't all 30 NHL teams alter their colours one season? Im not sure if it was this year but Im positive the Stars, Avalanche, Red Wings and others subtlely altered their shades

• 3 weeks later...

Sat through a sales pitch for this product yesterday. No, it's not an iPhone app.

voltage.png

Voltage Encryption

iPad?

No. It's a sophisticated encryption system that runs on SendMail Sentrion appliances, which are generally Unix or Linux based.

SendMail came out with the Sentrion App Store, and the images like that are only ever seen in brochures and on the web site (it's not like it's a button or anything.) The sales exec. even said "we're calling it the app store until we get a C&D from Steve Jobbs". It's starting to seem like everybody rips from everybody.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Had they done this before actually implementing the change. I'd agree.

But since they implemented the change where it was too late to do any major changes, it's still a crappy move.

They not only sprung it on fans and all of the sudden are backpeddling, but they are still forcing it down your throat everywhere you look.

Sad thing is, not much will happen because most Tampa Bay fans don't give a :censored: about their hockey team let alone how crappy they are going to look. The Bolts win, the fans jump back on the bandwagon and buy all the new gear which is a shame.

I'm hoping the new gear sales tank so bad, they end up going back to this current logo set and realizing they failed.

Had they wanted to do things right they could have added another logo or something minor. But they wanted to attempt to make the most money possible by changing literally everything.

I don't think they've done anything right by the fans and they are making a huge mistake with the attempt to go "traditonal" and look way too much like the Leafs.

2ly2w09.jpg

Didn't all 30 NHL teams alter their colours one season? Im not sure if it was this year but Im positive the Stars, Avalanche, Red Wings and others subtlely altered their shades

Sorry...I missed this post.

For the 1999-2000 season, the vast majority of teams altered one or more colors. The only teams that didn't make a change were:

• New York Islanders
  • Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Washington Capitals
  • Nashville Predators
  • Calgary Flames
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Vancouver Canucks
  • Los Angeles Kings

I should mention that the Oilers had made a slight color tweak the season before, and both the Thrashers and Blue Jackets modified their original colors before actually taking the ice.

For the 1999-2000 season, the vast majority of teams altered one or more colors. The only teams that didn't make a change were:

• New York Islanders
  • Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Washington Capitals
  • Nashville Predators
  • Calgary Flames
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Vancouver Canucks
  • Los Angeles Kings

I should mention that the Oilers had made a slight color tweak the season before, and both the Thrashers and Blue Jackets modified their original colors before actually taking the ice.

I guess the Minnesota Wild didn't make a change in 1999-2000, perhaps because the team didn't exist that season.

• New York Islanders
  • Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Washington Capitals
  • Nashville Predators
  • Calgary Flames
  • Edmonton Oilers
  • Minnesota Wild
  • Vancouver Canucks
  • Los Angeles Kings

I guess the Minnesota Wild didn't make a change in 1999-2000, perhaps because the team didn't exist that season.

The Wild had unveiled their colors prior to 1999-2000, just as the Blue Jackets had done. And the Blue Jackets DID change their colors in 1999-2000.

For the record:

Original (proposed) Blue Jackets colors:

ColumbusBlueJackets_UC1_2001_SOL_SRGB.png

Interesting - that "Federal Blue" is pretty light, a nice change from the navy they ended up with.

How does it compare to the "Steel Blue" added to the palette with their third jersey?

ThirdJerseyVermette10_slide.jpg

Good eye. Same color.

ColumbusBlueJackets_AUC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Archived