Tampa Bay Lightning New Logos

KCScout76

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a traditional kind of guy but I can't stand this. It's absolutely wrong for the NHL and that franchise. And it is too forced.

First off that logo is beyond dull and I loathe the oval part. It's so dated and 90's looking.

Second off the lightning already have a recognizable colour combo. There is absolutely no reason to go with a simple blue and white combination when the Leafs own it.

Frankly I think the league ought to have a committee that approves basic things like colour schemes in the NHL. If a hard core fan can't turn on a game and know what team is playing any more something is wrong. I'm all for simple uniforms but not when they infringe on other team's identities like this does. It just makes the league look bland and watered down.

How long until we see a 3rd with a wordmark?

They're keeping the 3rd with a wordmark that they already have for now.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It even looks worse on the jerseys..Looks like a power supply company rec league team.

+1

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Gatorade and the Incredibles had a baby together...

1189-WP-CAL-New_Logo_1900x1200.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I like the logos and uniforms on their own, but when viewed in the context of the whole league I can't help but feel that they're stepping on the toes of the Maple Leafs, who got their first, by far.

You don't rip off the New York Yankees or the Boston Celtics or any other historic franchise. The Leafs fall into that category.

PvO6ZWJ.png

What's kind of sad is...hockey in the state of Florida.

BEFORE:

610x.jpg

AFTER:

Tampa+Bay+Lightning+v+Florida+Panthers+LJWeFTQyPeil.jpg

jersey-away-1200.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It's so dated and 90's looking.

The 90s? I actually liked the 90s styles: Rangers Liberty was great. Islanders fisherman was ok. I even liked the Coyotes trio of threads, and even the Lightning's rain jersey. The 90s were far from this boring. This is about as boring as a 1910s or 20s uniform. Bold > boring.

believew.jpg

Screenshot2011-01-31at114300PM.png

I could cry.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Shoulder Patch

shoulderpatchtbl.jpg

The rest of the package is mediocre, but the shoulder patch is perfect.

There's no Helvetica anywhere else in the identity

It says "Hockey Club," and Sport Club roundels are so tiresome

"Tampa Bay Lightning" is radially arched while the redundant "Hockey Club" is vertically arched

Again, the "Hockey Club" is much smaller than "Tampa Bay Lightning," making it even more of an afterthought

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived