Tampa Bay Lightning New Logos

KCScout76

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why they felt the need to completely scrap black and silver from their identity, since as many people have pointed out, they have a very "Maple Leafs" feel to them (in the same way the Coyotes now have a generic Red Wings feel to them). The shoulder patch is very nice, minus the "Hockey Club" script, and you could argue that would make a fine main logo.

Overall it's a downgrade due to the lack of colors and non-descript lightning bolt on the home jerseys. And frankly, their sets weren't that great to begin with so it's kind of surprising that they've managed to find something worse.

I did a (very) quick mockup of how the shoulder patch could work as a front / main logo:

lightningmock.png

I also rather enjoyed Fergus' mock jerseys. MUCH better in my opinion. I think there's a fine line between classic and dull. TB went dull.

You guys obviously didn't get the memo that there's a concept thread for those.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I did a (very) quick mockup of how the shoulder patch could work as a front / main logo:

lightningmock.png

I also rather enjoyed Fergus' mock jerseys. MUCH better in my opinion. I think there's a fine line between classic and dull. TB went dull.

Brilliant minds think alike...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=78358&view=findpost&p=1475524

I remember vacationing in Miami last year and going to a game between the Lightning and Panthers. I thought the Lightning's look was crisp, modern, and unique, whereas Floirda was just debuting yet another pastel blue, circular logo wreck. I appreciated that look greatly, and I wish the team didn't tamper with their unique colour scheme.

The logo does have a modern, simplistic feel about it but I can't help feel like it looks more like that of a telecom company than a hockey team. It's just too simplistic to me and amateurish in a way. I do kind of like the 3D circle in that it may be interpreted as looking like a puck, but otherwise, meh. The wordmark on the road doesn't help it either.

The striping and everything fits with what they did, but I really don't see it as their own identity any more than a rec league team's would be. It does have a Leafs feel and the collar definitely gives off an air of Burke's redesign recently.

If they could bring back the cutting-edge black and silver and find a logo that isn't a mishmash of fonts, etc. they could be onto something. Thumbs down here though.

Honestly, they had it right with the previous design. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than this. It's not a bad design overall, but it simply doesn't fit the Tampa Bay Lightning. As mentioned before, they're a team from 1992, not 1967. This would work if that was the case, and with the road jersey's main crest being much more of a 90's logo and not the 1967-era shoulder patch, the jersey looks like a cluster :censored: of past tense and present day. Overall, I won't mind grabbing some Lightning jerseys on discount, because they're far superior to this throwback-craze. I would be interested to hear from the people of Tampa what they think about the changes, but then again it's hockey, and the team's in Tampa... so I'm not expecting much.

I think its a beautiful set of logos and jerseys. Its clean, simple, and it looks good. That said . . . its clearly going "retro", which is dumb for a team with no actual history. It steals the color scheme of another (very historic) NHL team.

Its a great look in a vacuum, but in the context of the league and the team . . . its dumb and quite unfortunate.

TA-DA, the new TB Lightning Logos that were unveiled today. Simple & Clean IMO - I hope our TB fans like 'em. Chris Creamer also has them posted on the Logo Site.

Crest

tblnewlogo.jpg

TBnewlogo.gif

Shoulder Patch

shoulderpatchtbl.jpg

The shoulder patch is all right, but the crests look like Clip Art. The jerseys are a little too bland. Just adding the lightning bolts on the pants and silver to the color scheme would make it much better.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Has anyone else seen these? I for one and now 100% against this rebrand. If someone was wearing the hat without the words tampa bay or one of their t-shirts, and I wasn't aware of the change, I would have no idea that they were supporting the Tampa Bay Lightning. IMO the logo by itself on tshrits and hats looks like a cool design or a company logo and not a sports team.

235485124.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1296790824&Signature=Ojvir3ekpTT%2BAMqTHm%2BOJU50%2F3s%3D

235486027.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1296790855&Signature=uB65a0tqHhzLB7G9TwhVW%2F%2BAnEk%3D

I like the uniforms ad the logo. Very simple. But with the leafs being a one color blue and white team, I think the Lightning missed an opportunity to go with a simple black and white color scheme instead of the blue. That would be unique.

Thank you. That's what I thought. Solves everything on both sides of tradition (well, if you add bolts, victory stripes and subtract those circles on the shoulders).

Has anyone else seen these? I for one and now 100% against this rebrand. If someone was wearing the hat without the words tampa bay or one of their t-shirts, and I wasn't aware of the change, I would have no idea that they were supporting the Tampa Bay Lightning. IMO the logo by itself on tshrits and hats looks like a cool design or a company logo and not a sports team.

(The pictures wouldn't show up on my end so I rehosted them.)

235486027.jpg

235495340.jpg

235485124.jpg

Also...

There will be a shirt with the Lightning's new logo on every seat at tonight's game. The new logo also is on the ice.

A couple of Tampa Bay Lightning records could fall tonight at Times Forum against the Capitals

25993952.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I don't see why they felt the need to completely scrap black and silver from their identity, since as many people have pointed out, they have a very "Maple Leafs" feel to them (in the same way the Coyotes now have a generic Red Wings feel to them).

Oddly enough, when I see the Coyotes' current uniforms, I think Maple Leafs - specifically, the 1967-70 Leafs:

MapleLeafs19.png

235486027.jpg

I really dig that top center hat on its own. However, it immediately brings to mind something a pro skater would wear, because he has an energy drink as a sponsor.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Am I the only one that finds it really weird they unveil brand new jerseys and a logo mid-season, yet they can't even wear it until next year?

They released it so they could get it out there before someone leaked it. Which is fine. Except that you're killing your merchandise sales (well the stuff with the old logo and colours) for the year. My guess is they're buying up landfill space in New Mexico as we speak.

Also, it wouldn't shock me (pardon the pun) if they wore the new stuff like the playoffs. It has precedent anyway.

Archived