Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching highlights of the Whitecaps/Toronto game, and seeing Sounders/Galaxy earlier this week, really makes me want to see at least one game in the Pacific Northwest. There is something magical in soccer going on in that area.

Unfortunately, my soccer-diehard friend already looked into it, and she informed me that flights to London are cheaper than ones to Vancouver.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Watching highlights of the Whitecaps/Toronto game, and seeing Sounders/Galaxy earlier this week, really makes me want to see at least one game in the Pacific Northwest. There is something magical in soccer going on in that area.

Unfortunately, my soccer-diehard friend already looked into it, and she informed me that flights to London are cheaper than ones to Vancouver.

Fly to Seattle and drive up. Sea-Tac is a hell of an airport.

Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps are just about at halftime, and it has been a barnburner so far. And Empire Field is just as loud and crazy as BMO Field.

I drove past the stadium during the first half; 23000 of the loudest mother:censored:ers I've ever heard in my life.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Watching Charlie Davies score tonight was something special. Then he comes over to our supporters sections after the game and he is bawling his eyes out. It was amazing. Cant not root for the guy.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Watching Charlie Davies score tonight was something special. Then he comes over to our supporters sections after the game and he is bawling his eyes out. It was amazing. Cant not root for the guy.

What a great start by the Black and Red! Here's hoping Davies' is in the starting eleven soon, as Ngwenya looked lost on the pitch.

Having watched only three matches in the MLS Season (DC United - Columbus, Houston - Seattle, and DC United - New England) I am appalled that the officiating have not improved from the previous season and at times it appears that the officials escalate the tension on the pitch themselves.

Okay, I'm glad you just said that...because at times I saw it myself yesterday.

Speaking of...WOW. Wasn't able to make it to the US/Argentina friendly up in East Rutherford, but I did follow through on my original intention of making it to the home opener at PPL Park yesterday to take in the Union vs Whitecaps in person. And boy, did I have a blast.

Firstly, let's back all the way up. I remember last year reading and seeing some questions as to why the team chose to build their arena in Chester--and if you've been there, you know why. That said, they really chose a great plot of land to build that on--someone had a grand vision, as that bridge fits right into the visual schematic of the stadium experience...and then you got the Delaware River right on the other side. It's almost as if it's a jewel in the rough (little city called Chester). I took several camera phone pictures of the place (and those of you who are friends of mine via Facebook may have already seen the album). Another concern of many was parking...I noted plenty of security in and around the various parking sites (though I myself chose to park right up by the stadium because I ain't feel like walking all that far). Got there well before the gates opened...and the place was already swamped with people. The team store, though, was RIDICULOUS...they actually had to clear the place out twice just to accomodate everyone. But then, it was the home opener, so naturally fans were going to snatch up whatever merchandise they could get their mittens on (such as yours truly here).

Once inside the actual stadium, I got to see more of the place. Again, absolutely beautiful day, sunny, blue, clear skies...great day to watch some action on the pitch--which itself looked quite silky. I actually had a good seat...about 27 rows up, right on the midfield line on the bridge side. Don't know the stadium capacity, but it was about 7/8 full by the time the game started (the announced attendance was 18,591). And naturally, the place was loud and festive--but would you expect anything less from the Philly faithful? Also, not sure if this was a big secret before the game, but the Union surprised quite a few folks by coming out in their new all-white third kits, and they were quite nice. (So not only was I able to attend the home opener on an absolutely beautiful day, I also got to see the debut of said new kits. Go me.)

On to the game itself...the Union looked to keep up with the good defensive efforts, for whatever reason, the Union just couldn't seem to mount a sustainable offensive, as evidenced by the first-half statline: shots on goal were 3-1 in favor of the Whitecaps. Speaking of, whoever #9 was on the Whitecap side quickly became public enemy #1 on the pitch. When he first went down, several of us thought the guy was legitimately injured...until it became obvious he was faking it, at which point the boo-birds began to rain down on the guy. This was after the referee saw fit to start the game off by handing out yellow cards like they were free samples, on both sides (which kinda feeds into what Mindless posted above). But that #9...guy may as well have been auditioning for a Grammy with the way he was flopping out there. He also did get several "cheap" shots in, and ultimately ended up getting himself ejected from the game in the second half.

Speaking of...the Union began to turn it on in that second half. I guess they saw the first-half statline and figured they better beef up the attack on goal in the other end. They did get several good shots in...but it wasn't until Roger Torres came on that things seemed to spark offensively. the Union got several great looks at the net, but credit the Whitecap keeper for staying on his toes...that was, up until around the 73rd minute or so, when Carlos Ruiz found himself with a wide open look at the net off a rebound and put it home for the game's only goal. And, of course, the stands erupted. After that, Vancouver tried to mount its best offensive, but credit the Union's defense for holding strong and eventually shutting them out for their second W--and second straight shutout.

All in all, great day, great atmosphere, good game to watch. I'm just glad I was able to take it all in live. (And if you couldn't tell by now, I don't get to do this much, so I cherish the few opportunities I get to do fun stuff like this.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Saw the highlights on mlssoccer.com. Nice comeback and Vancouver seems to have a great crowd.

BTW, has anyone noticed MLS using the Comcast Sports Net transition graphics template on pretty much all their telecast no matter the network?

Caps are down a few regulars, too, what with National Team obligations and Hassli getting a red card last week.

Once they're back to full strength again, they should be even better.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

DC United will be without Charlie Davies (and Jed Zayner (injury), Dejan Jakovic (red card), Perry Kitchen (USA U20 duty), and Clyde Simms (injury)) when they visit the Champs tonight. Gonna be an ugly game with rain/snow in the forecast in Denver. Praying for a point.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived