Sign in to follow this  
CAB

Working on a High School Identity

Bump? Anything else? I guess it's perfect then...

Bump? Anything else? I guess it's perfect then...

I don't understand the new highlight that you added. It doesn't look appropriate. I think the headdress is close, but the definition in the smaller feathers and lack of definition in the larger feathers look a bit odd to me. You are making great progress, but I still think there is a ways to go before it is complete.

Yeah, I'm actually not very happy with that highlight. I'm just looking for some input on it.

Does anybody else have C&C?!

After looking at it some more, I decided that highlight wasn't necessary at all really. I just moved the face back a little and simplified the feathers like funkatron suggested.

5716948236_9cd4fd0180_b.jpg

Thanks to the people that have given me C&C, but I'm kind of disappointed that I'm not getting very input on this. I feel that I'm pretty close to being done with this part of the identity (like I stated earlier.) But if you have a critique, by all means tell me. Even if it's fine how it is, at least say so. B)

After looking at it again, there's something about the nose that just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the thickness of the stroke where the nose and cheek meet on the right side of the logo...but it just looks "off."

I feel like you gave the face a lot of depth, and the headdress (spelling?) doesn't have any depth at all. That might be what's missing.

The perspective is way off between the head dress and the face. The first looks like a complete profile the face is an odd mix of 3/4 and profile. Eyes too close together because of this. Facial features aren't highlighted and illustrated accurately. The feathers feel TOO simplified and lack character. Shape of lips and shadow under nose are MUCH too simplified and undefined. Shadow at the cheek falls wrong when considering the bone structure of the Native American skull.

You need to find a better source image or revisit the one you have.

The perspective is way off between the head dress and the face. The first looks like a complete profile the face is an odd mix of 3/4 and profile. Eyes too close together because of this. Facial features aren't highlighted and illustrated accurately. The feathers feel TOO simplified and lack character. Shape of lips and shadow under nose are MUCH too simplified and undefined. Shadow at the cheek falls wrong when considering the bone structure of the Native American skull.

You need to find a better source image or revisit the one you have.

Or, he could make it a complete side-profile of the head, eliminating the person's left eye from the drawing all together.

Definitely... seems like it can't decide if it is a profile or 3/4 view.

The face is too narrow as well... trying to be an EXACT duplicate of the source image can be a mistake. Besides unless your school makes note that it is named after him you don't need to reproduce his features to a 'T'. Search for more photos of him. Cleaner ones if possible. you don't need a ton of detail if the details you DO pick out are accurate and logical.

Some of the best face-based logos are very simple yet the features they do focus on are perfected in their shape, line form and depth of shadow. It is very important to choose your shadows wisely.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I think I'm gonna go ahead and make this a complete side profile. Part of the reason I had it at 3/4 was because our current "logo" is a side profile, and I wanted to do something a little different. But I think the side would be the best way to go. The bottom of the nose is sorta bugging me as well.

I'll see what I can do with this in the future.

If you want to try something different than a profile, you could always try a straight on front angle, maybe with his his tilted down? That way you can minimalize the need to detail the face a little more and accentuate the headdress. Just a thought.

The angle that you currently have isn't the easiest to work with, but if you have good references to work with, it can be less of a burden. I wouldn't give up on the idea just to go with a profile view. I think it would be nice to present them with something different compared to something that kind of looks like what they already have.