National Signing Day

Cola

Huge day for college football fans as the next generation of players roll in.

My Gamecocks have pretty much signed everyone but the BIG ONE and are looking pretty good sitting at #20 on Rivals' Rankings...still waiting until 2/14 to get confirmation on the #1 recruit in the nation, which would be a big help.

I'm into the recruiting process, not proud of how commercialized it has kind of become...and I don't put all my weight into the stars beside the players names'- but it sure is something to do and watch during the offseason!

8 SEC teams are currently in the Top 20 recruiting classes, with Alabama soaring high.

Thoughts?

That Top 20 class is going to be squandered like just about everything else that goes to Columbia, so *MDWM*

Kind of an odd thing to say because ever since we have been doing decently well in recruiting, which is basically the last 10 years or so, we have had some of the best years in the history of our program...along with many athletes continuing on to the NFL for successful careers. We have been getting solid Top 25 classes for the past 5 or 6 years and it has certainly reflected onto the field...definitely not what would classify as "squandered" away. We haven't hit on a National Championship by any means, but that would discredit tons of programs and their recruiting if you followed that logic...especially if you're not in the SEC the past 5 years.

How many other programs are consistently in the Top 25 of recruiting without a prior national championship, a huge amount of success before this decade, or naturally come from a hotbed to where it is irrelevant (FSU, for example)? Says a lot about our program's recruiting and future, in my opinion.

Signing the number 1 recruit in the nation also says a little something...especially when the alternative is Alabama.

You've only played in one SEC Conference championship game, and it took a perfect storm of Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee all bottoming out to pull off. If you weren't squandering that talent, you'd have made more than one trip to Atlanta during that span.

Are you kidding me? Look at what you are typing- it's almost ridiculous. 8-10 teams in the SEC end up having Top 25 recruiting classes. Only 2 make the SEC championship and that winner goes on to the National Championship. So you've got 6-8 teams that all "squandered away talent" because they weren't one of the two teams fighting for a National Championship or BCS bowl?

Explain that logic. Because with your current thought process, everyone that doesn't make the SECCG (or NCCG, fwiw) just pissed away their talent.

And yes, it was our first trip to the SECCG- but it takes a first to start many. It's not like we weren't worthy of playing in the game- remember we came very close to beating Auburn in the regular season albeit four 4th quarter turnovers to blow the lead.

I stated, and my whole point, that we don't have a huge tradition of success in our 100+ year span as a program. However, we have been able to put together some success recently and it has started with focusing on the recruiting process and taking advantage of the nation's best recruiting landscape- the Southeast. It isn't exactly an easy fight to enter with LSU, Florida, Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia when fighting for recruits and trying to be successful...especially when you have teams like Southern Cal and ND traveling across country to get the same guys. Even more so when you can't start your recruiting pitch with "come check out our trophy case...". We know that.

However, to say we are pissing away talent is a ludicrous and ignorant statement. What alma mater do you claim, exactly?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides, can you honestly say you haven't been keeping an eye on who signed with Boise State today? B)

I've read that this year's class is supposed to be better than the amazing '07 class, but it's just not that big of a deal to me. I've seen countless times that Petersen can do more with "less," so the rankings and press conferences and hats mean nothing to me.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Signing day is a joke at this point. The big non-AQ programs have lowered the significance of recruit star rankings by winning consistently with low-ranked recruits, so what's the point of ranking the classes or making a big blow about commitments?

I wouldn't call it a joke by any means, because it is obviously significant and reflects on the field for the most part...however, I do agree with your point overall. Recruiting has become highly commercialized in only a matter of a decade and it will continue to heighten. While I don't mind most of it, I do get aggravated with certain recruits who hold out just because they can and know everyone is waiting on their decision (looking at you, Clowney :cursing: )...it's a bit pretentious for my tastes.

All in all, it's just a little fun to follow it and pass the time until the next season starts...especially when you don't care all that much about NFL. If it wasn't for college baseball, I'd go nuts until August.

That Clowney guy still hasn't made his decision?

Damn. I take it that he must really want the spotlight for his decision.

Now, Washington did pretty well today (Top 25 class according to ESPN). Iowa State, on the other hand.. Well, the Cyclones usually never have great recruiting classes yet have gotten some success out of the Juco players they sign.

As for South Carolina: It's not about squandering talent, it's that the Gamecocks have to deal with the likes of Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama in their conference, not to mention the likes of Clemson, North Carolina, Miami of Florida, Florida State and whatnot in that state. South Carolina getting a good class is something worthwhile for them. So what if they don't reach the SEC Championship Game and/or the National Championshp Game? You win and you get good players, plain and simple. South Carolina has been doing that for years, but now that they finally got over that proverbial hump, they can land those big name players.

He is waiting to announce on February 14th, his birthday.

Whoever gets the kid will be really fortunate. The kid (feel weird calling him that at his size) is a beast among men. Watch his videos. If there was a 6th star, he'd have it.

Whoever gets the kid will be really fortunate. The kid (feel weird calling him that at his size) is a beast among men. Watch his videos. If there was a 6th star, he'd have it.

That will be one hell of a birthday gift for whichever school gets him to sign their LOI. Oh, and I've seen one of Clowney's games on TV. He's is that good... scary good. Whoever has to go against him better bring some brown pants.

BTW, there was a guy who was 3rd on the ESPNU 150 that was considering New Mexico. He chose Auburn, but imagine what it would of been if the Lobos would of landed that guy.

There is a not-so-vague undercurrent of hillbilly pederasty, but I'm not sure if I'd draw parallels with church services. This from someone who revels in Catholic priest sodomy humor.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

National Creepy Day.

You said it. I'm a fan of the recruiting process (well, as much as a Missisippi State fan can be, knowing that my team is 9th on the SEC recruiting totem pole. :(), but these GROWN-ASS MEN GOING ON FACEBOOK & TWITTER PRACTICALLY BEGGING 17 YEAR OLD KIDS TO GO PLAY FOOTBALL FOR THEIR SCHOOL WHILE BADMOUTHING THE RIVAL SCHOOL AS IF THIS IS LIFE OR DEATH is a bit much. If I could sic Chris Hansen on them, I would. That being said, wow, UGA pulled in a hell of a class. All week they were talking about Mark Richt pulling in his "Dream Team," and he got them all. Definitely a top 5 class for them & if all goes well, they could be back in the SEC elite in no time with this class if all things go well for the Dawgs.

However, most of it is media hype since you never know if Mr. Five-Star is gonna fizzle out and then a Walk-On comes on and becomes the Big Man on Campus, but still this is an important time in college football since the fans are gonna get to know the faces of the team for the next few years, especially with spring football right around the corner. It's fun for the people who can keep things in perspective.

^^^

Georgia has been able to pull in some great classes lately, some of them just haven't panned out or have peaked too early. I'd say Isaiah Crowell will give a big boost to Ealey and King...make them play a little harder knowing that he's behind them. I've always liked Richt, so I hope he does well for the most part...but I work with a bunch of UGA boosters and he's always treading on thin ice with them.

On that note, what do you think of Logan Gray leaving to be closer to home? I'm wondering who will pick him up...Mizzou, K-State, Kansas, or maybe even Nebraska? He could be dangerous in an option-based offense.

That will be one hell of a birthday gift for whichever school gets him to sign their LOI. Oh, and I've seen one of Clowney's games on TV. He's is that good... scary good. Whoever has to go against him better bring some brown pants.

BTW, there was a guy who was 3rd on the ESPNU 150 that was considering New Mexico. He chose Auburn, but imagine what it would of been if the Lobos would of landed that guy.

Just because he played like Washington in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High", it means nothing at his next level. He looked awesome because in some games he was physically better, now in college, lesser players have been sifted out.

He has to stay eligible, be coachable, and actually improve. He could have already peaked as what occurs to many "5 Star" recruits.

Here is a sortable list of the Rivals 100 since 2002. only the more recent "5 Star" guys (2006 and forward) seem to have even excelled enough in college to be drafted and get meaningful playing time in the NFL.

National Creepy Day.

It is a little weird isn't it?

Never gotten into it much, although I did take the time to notice that Indiana's whoring of a Big Ten home game to DC (in the name of boosting Mid Atlantic recruiting) brought in a grand total of 0 players from said region.

(We did drag a trio of obviously sick masochistic :censored: s..err...linemen from Florida to join our Midwestern collection. Maybe they thought we were Notre Dame.)

Nebraska seems to have done alright, though, and also yoinked our defensive secondary coach for an intern and future considerations.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Marrone's brought in quite a few players for the Orange. But I agree with the sentiment that National Signing Day's a day I cannot stand hearing about. 99% of the time all you see is so-and-so 5 star recruit going to SEC school/Ohio State/Notre Dame/Florida State/USC so as a Big East school fan it's not really relevant to pay attention to the national media's coverage.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

This could be one of the most overreated "days of the sports calendar", next to when pitchers and catchers reporting. There is nothing truly measurable from today.

I disagree here. There has been correlations between top recruiting classes and top teams.

1- Texas had signed their class last year when they were juniors. They try to corner the market on early commits.

True but you forgot one little tid bit: They threaten to pull the kid's schollie if they even visit (unofficially or officially) another school. Georgia Tech practices this when they want to, happened to one kid this year but not another.

3- The schools of the SEC, C-USA, and Sun Belt are notorious for oversigning. We will soon see which players get released from their scholarships due to it.

Most of the players who don't have their scholarships renewed (not released from their scholarships) are upperclassmen who have fallen down the depth chart. They aren't going to see the field and both parties would be best served with a transfer (player gets more PT and the team has another scholarship to hand out).

Other players are players with medical issues keeping them from the field. Saying these players "lose" their scholarship is a misnomer. The school can disqualify them medically and give them medical hardship scholarships and continue to study at the school but do not count towards the teams' scholarship total since they're no longer on the team.

While there are players who straight up are told, "your scholarship will not be renewed," how is that any different from an academic scholarship. A 4-star football player comes in and after 3 years is a redshirt sophomore 5th string WR. He's not helping the team at all and is not really different from someone who had a 1600 SAT and then has an abysmal GPA and loses their academic scholarship.

NLIs do NOT guarantee a player to a 4 or 5 year scholarship, they only say you will get a one year scholarship, further renewal relys upon performance. It may not be as definite as "keep a 3.0" but it works just the same way.

Signing day is a joke at this point. The big non-AQ programs have lowered the significance of recruit star rankings by winning consistently with low-ranked recruits, so what's the point of ranking the classes or making a big blow about commitments?

Really? Boise's staff admits they recruited AQ conference cast offs or sleepers up until recently while still landing the one or two big recruits and they relied on these more talented, higher rated recruits to carry them. As the program gained notoriety, they began to be able to go into recruit's houses and recruit against the big boys.

TCU has been recruiting like a low- to mid-level AQ school and have been getting the most out of these kids. They seem to have gotten a slight jump on BCS level recruiting over Boise because of the tons of money the program has and the location. Now their move into an AQ league has given them the ability to say their league's conference champion WILL be in a BCS bowl and add in the fact that they will have a legitimate possibility to step in and win with maybe 1 or 2 competitors.

Boise State has good coaching and can win with their talent against teams from the Pac-12, Big XII, and SEC but I highly doubt they could take the talent the have, continue to recruit the same type players, and win week in, week out and year in, year out.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Geoff, I posted about the NLI and it's legality earlier. On the point that there is a correlation between the class signed and in-season performance, when do you start judging? The freshman year or some season afterwards?

As far as what Texas and other schools "promise", it is even more unethical since they are giving such promises to a minor and expect their signature to be binding. It breeds the master/slave relationship regardless, especially if any coach on the staff can leave at any time.

Ялта как привлекает этот курорт к себе отдыхающих со всего мира. Зовем Вас на морской курорт, передохните и наберитесь здоровья.

В этом Вам поможет макросистема интернет бронирования ялта отдых фото

Бронирование в системе гарантированное и быстроногое. стоимости дешевые. Если Вы хотите заказать существование в другом городе Крыма. Напишите здесь в каком городе Вы бы хотели оттягиваться в полный рост.

Проголосуйте за лучший курорт Крыма.

кроме того Вы сможете заказать снять квартиру посуточно в ялте

Ждем вы в Ялте. Курорт известного класса.

What he said.

Can't believe this hasn't been said yet.

Really? No one?

In Soviet Russia contract signs you!

I apologize.

Archived