Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

And look at Oregon - they wore that hideous steel-plate look, and then, instead of copping out and switching back to throwbacks full-time, they created the far-superior current winged look. Why can't the Bills do the same thing?

Because a winged shoulder design would look incredibly stupid on the Bills' uniforms.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what the problem is with pushing the envelope? Sometimes you push it right off a cliff. That's what happened with the Bills' last/current set. It's time to reign it in, get back to basics. The Bills are an older team in a smaller, traditional northern market, kind of like the AFL/AFC version of the Packers. They're a team that just looks right in traditionally styled uniforms.

Back to "pushing the design envelope" though. Sports logo/uniform design is not the optimum field for that. At the end of the day the goal is for the team to look good. Not reinvent the standards of graphic design. Push the envelope, explore new frontiers in other fields of design, reinvent the wheel, etc... in other areas. When it comes to a sports team and their identity they just need to look good.

You're very correct in your thought here.

Teams have signature components to their looks, and they are all rooted in their respective histories. For me, any good looking uniform pays at least a little homage to the history of the team and the sport. Otherwise there's no link to the past, and without a link to the past, it's like there is no team, because the past is the team.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If the third logo is a full-outlining of the first two, then why is the red stripe at a different angle?

You do realize all three logos have differences among them, right? The red stripes in the top two logos have different angles (not to mention different buffalo shapes as well).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

And look at Oregon - they wore that hideous steel-plate look, and then, instead of copping out and switching back to throwbacks full-time, they created the far-superior current winged look. Why can't the Bills do the same thing?

Because a winged shoulder design would look incredibly stupid on the Bills' uniforms.

I'm not so sure. Buffalo Wings?

I'm not so sure. Buffalo Wings?

I stand corrected. I should have said, "To any sane person, a winged shoulder design would look incredibly stupid on the Bills' uniforms."

If the third logo is a full-outlining of the first two, then why is the red stripe at a different angle?

You do realize all three logos have differences among them, right? The red stripes in the top two logos have different angles (not to mention different buffalo shapes as well).

My mistake. Just glanced over them

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that, like Oregon, the Bills could adopt a better modern design instead of doing a total cop-out retro uniform.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that, like Oregon, the Bills could adopt a better modern design instead of doing a total cop-out retro uniform.

Why do you assume it's going to be a retro uniform? It's clearly not. They're maintaining navy. If any of the recent new NFL uniforms are any indication the new Bills set will have a wordmark and a custom number font, both modern design elements.

This isn't a retro uniform. It's going to be based in retro styling, and that's perfect for a team like the Bills.

Why do you assume it's going to be a retro uniform? It's clearly not. They're maintaining navy. If any of the recent new NFL uniforms are any indication the new Bills set will have a wordmark and a custom number font, both modern design elements.

This isn't a retro uniform. It's going to be based in retro styling, and that's perfect for a team like the Bills.

I thought there were pics of the new unis already shown in this thread? Were those just concepts? Either way, all indications have been that it's going to be retro - maybe not a straight "throwback", but at the very least "retro inspired" or "traditional".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think one could argue that any 'modern' uniform design is rooted in 'retro' aesthetic just as much as any design that has sleeve and sock stripes to go along with a linear helmet and pant stripe. Just because a uniform. Just because a uniform has straight linear stripes doesn't automatically make it a retro design, just as any design that features asymmetrical, oversized or vertical design elements and colored panels isn't necessarily modern.

maryland35ap-1.jpg

I think one could argue that any 'modern' uniform design is rooted in 'retro' aesthetic just as much as any design that has sleeve and sock stripes to go along with a linear helmet and pant stripe. Just because a uniform. Just because a uniform has straight linear stripes doesn't automatically make it a retro design, just as any design that features asymmetrical, oversized or vertical design elements and colored panels isn't necessarily modern.

maryland35ap-1.jpg

Who the hell is Maryland University??

90758391980.gif

I thought there were pics of the new unis already shown in this thread? Were those just concepts?

As Goth said, those were just concepts.

Either way, all indications have been that it's going to be retro - maybe not a straight "throwback", but at the very least "retro inspired" or "traditional".

And this is fitting for the Buffalo Bills.

maryland35ap-1.jpg

Who the hell is Maryland University??

And University of Syracuse for that matter :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Either way, all indications have been that it's going to be retro - maybe not a straight "throwback", but at the very least "retro inspired" or "traditional".

And this is fitting for the Buffalo Bills.

True.

Oregon was mentioned, but that's an apples/oranges comparison. They never had a really classic, beloved look in their historical closet. The Bills do.

Archived