Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Either way, all indications have been that it's going to be retro - maybe not a straight "throwback", but at the very least "retro inspired" or "traditional".

And this is fitting for the Buffalo Bills.

True.

Oregon was mentioned, but that's an apples/oranges comparison. They never had a really classic, beloved look in their historical closet. The Bills do.

Do they though? Or is it only "classic" and "beloved" because the current set is such garbage? I remember back when they announced the change (it's actually how I found this board) and I don't recall anyone pining for a return to the throwbacks at that time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either way, all indications have been that it's going to be retro - maybe not a straight "throwback", but at the very least "retro inspired" or "traditional".

True.

Oregon was mentioned, but that's an apples/oranges comparison. They never had a really classic, beloved look in their historical closet. The Bills do.

Do they though? Or is it only "classic" and "beloved" because the current set is such garbage? I remember back when they announced the change (it's actually how I found this board) and I don't recall anyone pining for a return to the throwbacks at that time.

Even if the classic stuff is only beloved because of the current crap, so what? We're just arguing specifics at this point if we go down that road. If it's beloved, then it's beloved.

Really though, my desire to see the Bills go with something retro-inspired doesn't have anything to do with the throwbacks being "beloved." It has to do with the fact that some teams just look better in certain looks. Some teams can pull off modern, some can pull of traditional. The Bills are one of those "traditional" teams. Even putting aside the crappyness of their current uniform, a modern piped and panelled design just doesn't look right on a team like the Bills.

Just concepts, Vet.

I would submit that not all retro uniforms are "cop-outs". If the design is good, who cares if it's old? Sometimes hearkening back to an earlier era really is the best choice.

Well said. Too often, in our society, we change for change sake rather than creating an honest improvement. Nothing wrong with stepping back, taking a look at the uniform history as a whole, and admitting what was indeed the best solution.

Just concepts, Vet.

I would submit that not all retro uniforms are "cop-outs". If the design is good, who cares if it's old? Sometimes hearkening back to an earlier era really is the best choice.

Well said. Too often, in our society, we change for change sake rather than creating an honest improvement. Nothing wrong with stepping back, taking a look at the uniform history as a whole, and admitting what was indeed the best solution.

Agreed.

Now can you please forward that memo to J. Wayne Weaver and the rest of the Jacksonville Jaguars organization?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

True.

Even if the classic stuff is only beloved because of the current crap, so what? We're just arguing specifics at this point if we go down that road. If it's beloved, then it's beloved.

Really though, my desire to see the Bills go with something retro-inspired doesn't have anything to do with the throwbacks being "beloved." It has to do with the fact that some teams just look better in certain looks. Some teams can pull off modern, some can pull of traditional. The Bills are one of those "traditional" teams. Even putting aside the crappyness of their current uniform, a modern piped and panelled design just doesn't look right on a team like the Bills.

My point is simply that they didn't become one of those "traditional" teams until they went modern and failed miserably. There's nothing wrong if you feel they would look better in a traditional uniform, but I think that if they unveiled a tasteful modern set people would be fine with that too, and there wouldn't be any additional clamoring for the return of the throwbacks. I think it's just an extreme reaction against what they have now. People just want them to look good, and it's easy to say "do the opposite of what you did that failed."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My point is simply that they didn't become one of those "traditional" teams until they went modern and failed miserably. There's nothing wrong if you feel they would look better in a traditional uniform, but I think that if they unveiled a tasteful modern set people would be fine with that too, and there wouldn't be any additional clamoring for the return of the throwbacks. I think it's just an extreme reaction against what they have now. People just want them to look good, and it's easy to say "do the opposite of what you did that failed."

Well, I'm not sure you can say that's what happened in this case.

Besides, the Bills have always been a fairly traditional team, except for the current uniforms. So perhaps this new look is a recognition of that fact as much as anything else.

Can I ask a question here?

What, in y'alls minds, defines "modern"? Are we talking design-wise, or pretty much anything post-1997, simply because it was unveiled post-'97? In the case of the Bills' current duds, I can't see what's "modern" about them. (In my mind, contrast-colored shoulder yokes + side panels =/= modern.)

Just trying to gain some insight here.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I'd say the "modern" NFL uniform consists of proprietary numbers, designs that accommodate tighter jersey cuts, and lots of unusual piping/paneling in odd places. Anything that departs from traditional stripes. So in that regard, Broncos, Cardinals, Falcons, Bengals, Vikings, Patriots, Jaguars, anyone else I'm forgetting?

The Bills are in kind of a weird little design purgatory with the Buccaneers, Dolphins, and Seahawks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd agree that it's the piping and add to that the side panels. Also the multiple outlined numerals are more common due to it being easier to duplicate this on merchandise now as opposed to 20-30 years ago.

I remember as a kid being upset since the Sears catalog jerseys only had one color numerals. Couldn't even get one outline on them. Seeing how crazy teams have got with outlines, maybe that limitation wasn't so bad after all.

Can I ask a question here?

What, in y'alls minds, defines "modern"? Are we talking design-wise, or pretty much anything post-1997, simply because it was unveiled post-'97? In the case of the Bills' current duds, I can't see what's "modern" about them. (In my mind, contrast-colored shoulder yokes + side panels =/= modern.)

Just trying to gain some insight here.

While there are certainly some tradional aspects to the uniforms (block font, standard-striped pants, helmet, etc.) I would certainly consider the contrasting side panel designed (sort of) to blend into the pants, the yoke piping, and the extraneous outlining an attempt at being modern. One of the (many) problems with this is that as previously stated, there are some traditional aspects to the design as well, and the result is a clashing total train wreck conflicting garbage. It's like the Charlie Sheen of sports uniforms.

Does "modern" == "contemporary"? I kind of think that the words are synonymous, though we typically use "modern" (or sometimes I've read "futuristic") when teams go overboard, and "contemporary" when it's relatively subdued and tasteful. For example, the Cardinals typically get referred to as "modern", while the Eagles are "contemporary". Maybe that's just me though. In reality, they're both contemporary looks. As Admiral stated, things like proprietary fonts, under-collar wordmarks or logos, non-traditional jersey (piping, over-shoulder but not UCLA (i.e. Texans), or no striping at all) or pants (no stripes, asymmetrical stripes, non-straight stripes) striping patterns, and uniforms designed to have their parts be interchangeable all qualify as contemporary IMO. Not that any of this stuff is a modern phenomenon (Bears have had custom fonts forever, side panels and non-horizontal sleeve stripes have been done back in the day, etc.) but from around the 50s on, uniform designs have been kind of homogenized (sp?), and it's really only been since around the mid '90s when the Patriots busted out their Apex duds, then the Eagles + Ravens changed, and then the Broncos busted the whole thing open that there's been a clear divide between traditional and contemporary.

I wouldn't mind a "classic/modern" upgrade like the Jets did. Took an old uni, but modernized it with things like a colored facemask...will I see it...doubt it. Probably a lame gray one because it's a nod to their past like Cleveland (who might have worn white masks longer than gray)

KISSwall09.jpg

I just don't understand why people think this is going to be a completely retro 'step back in time' redesign. The facts we know, based on what we've heard, of course:

81443527.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5480F88EA74BE657E8A54754DC40B90A1E7AF99472D4D7DC5E0

The uniform is based on this one. I don't find this uniform overly retro at all. It's got a clean, bold stripe design and features a modern (or at least current and stylized) logo. It's actually pretty sleek-looking in that it's free from any extraneous design elements, which (right now at least), is the epitome of modern design. Stripes are huge in current fashion design as well. We've also learned that navy blue will be incorporated as a trim color, making this a three-color design (plus white), which was almost never seen in 'the old days.' I'm just not seeing retro from that. I'm seeing clean, modern, classy, streamlined, contemporary and other words like this. Not retro.

I think we pigeon-hole 'modern' into being something exclusively like what the Falcons or Cardinals wear. Why can't a design based on a previous uniform be modern?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

FreddyNewUniFULL.png

Too many sleeve stripes. The jerseys (not the uniform, I'll explain why) are bad. Pants look really good provided they don't go monochrome, but why the hell didn't they echo the pants and helmet stripes on the sleeves? The sleeves would be the logical place to go with three stripes. I see the stripes on the socks are the same as the sleeves, but good luck applying those sleeve stripes on a lineman. The helmets look nice; the Bills' helmets look good in red or white and the socks are god too, but those sleeve stripes are BAD.

All this assuming that these are the new uniforms.

The previous set just needed to get rid of those side panels and to simplify the stripes by eliminating the nickel.

I'm seeing clean, modern, classy, streamlined, contemporary and other words like this.

I'm seeing SMU with some navy.

Which means you're seeing Buffalo with some navy. :P

I just don't understand why people think this is going to be a completely retro 'step back in time' redesign. The facts we know, based on what we've heard, of course:

81443527.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5480F88EA74BE657E8A54754DC40B90A1E7AF99472D4D7DC5E0

The uniform is based on this one. I don't find this uniform overly retro at all. It's got a clean, bold stripe design and features a modern (or at least current and stylized) logo. It's actually pretty sleek-looking in that it's free from any extraneous design elements, which (right now at least), is the epitome of modern design. Stripes are huge in current fashion design as well. We've also learned that navy blue will be incorporated as a trim color, making this a three-color design (plus white), which was almost never seen in 'the old days.' I'm just not seeing retro from that. I'm seeing clean, modern, classy, streamlined, contemporary and other words like this. Not retro.

I think we pigeon-hole 'modern' into being something exclusively like what the Falcons or Cardinals wear. Why can't a design based on a previous uniform be modern?

It totally can and I think that the Bills will come through with exactly the type of uniform that they should have had all this time. The Chargers proved it could be done...their only mess up was to relegate the powder blues unis as alternates as opposed to their main uniform. Other than that I think they are the perfect example of how a uniform can hark back to a team's past history, but still use modern elements. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I think the Bills will follow suit, except they will nail it.

I'm seeing clean, modern, classy, streamlined, contemporary and other words like this.

I'm seeing SMU with some navy.

Which means you're seeing Buffalo with some navy. :P

Haha, bingo!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived