Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Ugh. I hope the Bills can do better than the Chargers. From the silly number font to the upside-down lightning bolt, they're the perfect example of a team that should have just adopted a throwback rather than "modern up" a great old design.

While I'm not a fan of the current Chargers uniform, I don't think just switching to a throwback would have been a better choice. Their current uniforms are about 3 changes* away from being a great modern look.

*Those three changes would be; 1. Adopt a better number font than the chopped up agency font they use. (Something more block font looking). 2. Fix the upside down bolt (as Gothamite mentioned). and 3. Have one color background that the bolt is always on, like their previous navy set.

jNTsTyQ.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other thing they could do is make up their minds about which blue they want to use, powder (though it should be Pacific), or navy. If they MUST use two blues, then they really need to find a better way to do it.

Oh..and let's add numbers back up under those bolts on the helmets while we're at it. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Ugh. I hope the Bills can do better than the Chargers. From the silly number font to the upside-down lightning bolt, they're the perfect example of a team that should have just adopted a throwback rather than "modern up" a great old design.

While I'm not a fan of the current Chargers uniform, I don't think just switching to a throwback would have been a better choice. Their current uniforms are about 3 changes* away from being a great modern look.

*Those three changes would be; 1. Adopt a better number font than the chopped up agency font they use. (Something more block font looking). 2. Fix the upside down bolt (as Gothamite mentioned). and 3. Have one color background that the bolt is always on, like their previous navy set.

I disagree about the "a few changes away" comment that you and others have posted. Each element of this Chargers set is the worst they have ever worn. The number font, upside down bolts, bolt background, wavy pants bolt, silly collar configuration, and yellow+blue=green effect on the numbers all make these uniforms bad. If you change all of those things, you are pretty much going back to something the Chargers have already worn. Besides, it isn't like their throwbacks are a traditional sleeve-striped jersey where the Chargers would be abandoning their identity and going bland. Their throwbacks have friggin bolts on the shoulders. They aren't dated.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

One other thing they could do is make up their minds about which blue they want to use, powder (though it should be Pacific), or navy. If they MUST use two blues, then they really need to find a better way to do it.

Oh..and let's add numbers back up under those bolts on the helmets while we're at it. :P

Actually, they called it Collegiate Blue.

It's actually pretty sleek-looking in that it's free from any extraneous design elements, which (right now at least), is the epitome of modern design. Stripes are huge in current fashion design as well.

I think we pigeon-hole 'modern' into being something exclusively like what the Falcons or Cardinals wear. Why can't a design based on a previous uniform be modern?

These are good points. Do things change so fast that what the Lightning have is the epitome of modern, while what the Cardinals have is already dated? Are they both modern, just different branches of modern design? Or are one or the other (or both) just fads that aren't truly modern design trends, but will pass? If that is the case, then what really is modern design?

I think a good example of what you are arguing would be the Sixers, who certainly took inspration from their classic '80s uniform, but went uber minimalist with it, and the result looks pretty modern. I hadn't really thought of it like that before. That certainly can work for them, but my thought is that it won't be minimal enough to escape the straight retro look, therefore making it just a rehash. I could totally be wrong about this though, I guess we won't know until it comes out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would a good way to update the chargers be like my concept in my signature?

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

If the Chargers are gonna keep what they have, the bolts need to be on the same color plain in every part. On the home, it's on white on the helmet and shoulder stripes but navy on the pants. Ditch the navy stripe on the pants. Then on the aways ditch the navy shoulder stripe so the bolts are all on white again.

Isn't their throwback college blues like the best selling football jersey or voted the best football jersey?

I wholeheartedly agree.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I'm afraid not. You still have a bad number font, and an upside-down bolt on the legs. I'm also not a fan of curving the bolts on the pants to run outside of the stripe.

Really, this is the perfect example of what I was saying. They should have gone back to the old uniforms, but decided instead to "update" them. Every single changed element is an individual downgrade from the original. Either start from scratch and create a new design, or just use the old one.

You didn't fix any of the problems mentioned. You still have that weird number font, still have an upside down bolt, still have different colored backgrounds for the bolts.

jNTsTyQ.png

Agree with Gothamite. This is near perfection. Bolts all the same, all on white. The only thing I may suggest is changing the numeral outline from yellow to the dark blue/black that outlines the bolts.

perfectcharger.jpg

That's quite the facemask that #72 is wearing.

Agree with Gothamite. This is near perfection. Bolts all the same, all on white. The only thing I may suggest is changing the numeral outline from yellow to the dark blue/black that outlines the bolts.

perfectcharger.jpg

I don't see why the bolt always has to be on the same color. I mean, if the bolt is yellow with a black or navy blue outline, I think it can work equally well on both white and light blue bodies. Otherwise. I agree.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You didn't fix any of the problems mentioned. You still have that weird number font, still have an upside down bolt, still have different colored backgrounds for the bolts.

When I rework the chargers, ill put in a new number font, ditch navy, try to get the bolt only on white (what about away jerseys?) But keep the pants bolt the same

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Hey, Could we get off all the Charger talk, this is supposed to be about the Bills.

I am just worried that in trying to go retro the Bills won't take into account the new cut of jerseys and will end up

with sleeve stripes that just end on the chest, like so many teams have. We have to move past the idea that the old

stripes work on the new jerseys. They work fine on the replicas which have sleeves, but on real players, especially linemen,

they look ridiculous (The Colts shoulder stripes are the worst, but look at Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. and the stripes look

bad on the tighter, sleeveless jerseys.)

The Texans got this right. They have a shoulder element that does not need to wrap around the armpit like the Colts or Jets should.

So it works on the new jersey cuts.

The Bills should consider some way to keep a traditional look without trying to use wrap-around sleeve stripes that cannot wrap around

on these jerseys.

Or, the Bills could take a page from the same book the Saints, Eagles, Ravens, and Buccaneers read, and design a nice, clean, contemporary* look sans sleeve stripes altogether. I think they can make it work...if they get the right people to do it.

*credit to BBTV for that one

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived