Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Seriously, dude, not every NFL thread has to turn into a discussion about your concepts.

It's ridiculous

there was a discussion going on about the chargers and how to fix their uniforms, so i offered my concepts as a possible fix. Sorry? I don't seem to recall plugging my uniforms in every thread...

I really do hope the Bills don't go with any navy. It just doesn't look good! There is something really vibrant about the red on the lighter blue (what would I call it?) and it somehow makes the uniform seem less "old" or "retro" even if it has old style stripes.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or, the Bills could take a page from the same book the Saints, Eagles, Ravens, and Buccaneers read, and design a nice, clean, contemporary* look sans sleeve stripes altogether. I think they can make it work...if they get the right people to do it.

*credit to BBTV for that one

Couldn't agree more. Those 67 sleeve stripes mess up the whole deal. As much as I like tradition, I'll even go so far as to say it's time for the Steelers, Packers, and others to ditch their sleeve stripes. The square peg isn't fitting into the round hole.

I suspect that the navy will be fairly minimal on the actual uniform, but the dominant color on team merchandise, especially clothing.

i could see that, but i would expect their light blue to be dominant. its not as common as navy. plus, most Bills fans already have navy swag, moving to light blue would give them a reason to but something new sense the logo isnt changing.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Hope so. Royal seems to be the color that will distinguish them from a sea of navy teams

People talk about navy being used way too much, but just thinking, it's not like every team uses it. The Chargers, Patriots, Bears, Broncos, Texans, and Rams. Compared to the number of teams that wear a lighter blue which are Lions, Colts, Jags (kinda), Titans, Seahawks, and Giants.

That being said, I do hope they go with a lighter blue and ditch the navy altogether. Is their logo navy or lighter blue? I feel like it makes no sense if it's lighter with their current set.

potd 10/20/12

I suspect that the navy will be fairly minimal on the actual uniform, but the dominant color on team merchandise, especially clothing.

i could see that, but i would expect their light blue to be dominant. its not as common as navy. plus, most Bills fans already have navy swag, moving to light blue would give them a reason to but something new sense the logo isnt changing.

Yes, but navy plain sells better. That's why most teams adopt it.

Why does it? and do you mean in terms of t-shirts, hats, and the like?

I really think the navy/red looks horrible

potd 10/20/12

The actual color combo of navy/red will never look truly horrible:

american-flag.jpg

That being said, the abundance of blue teams that we both mentioned begs the question: "Are there any other color schemes that would work for the Bills?"

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

american-flag.jpg

That being said, the abundance of blue teams that we both mentioned begs the question: "Are there any other color schemes that would work for the Bills?"

It's true though, that teams should consider rebranding entire color schemes... I actually plan on doing the Cardinals using the Minnesota Wild colors (still deciding on the wheat), because it varies the NFL and tries to add some difference between the multitude of blue or red teams.

potd 10/20/12

Why does it? and do you mean in terms of t-shirts, hats, and the like?

I really think the navy/red looks horrible

I think that's a fairly well excepted marketing theme these days. Grown men will be more likely to but a navy blue jacket / shirt / hat (to wear as "clothes" that support their team) than a bright blue one. Its one of the reasons BYU went navy with their mod look, and kept the navy after going throwback. I remeber hearing that as a big reason behind the Broncos' changing colors.

So one of the reasons for BFBS and NFNS is the fan gear you can make from it. I'm sure the Bills keeping just a touch of navy in their scheme means they can trot out lots of navy fan stuff. From a $$ stand point, pretty smart... have the cake and eat it , too.

Exactly. There's a reason the vast majority of t-shirts, jackets and hats in the Bills store are navy (and why so much stuff in the Vikings store is black). I expect that will remain the case.

Pretty inspired solution, actually - sell as much stuff as possible while not letting merchandising considerations overly influence the on-field product.

american-flag.jpg

It's true though, that teams should consider rebranding entire color schemes... I actually plan on doing the Cardinals using the Minnesota Wild colors (still deciding on the wheat), because it varies the NFL and tries to add some difference between the multitude of blue or red teams.

And hear we go again with the self-plugging on here.

Back to the discussion that actually matters, I can see the marketing/selling aspect of it. However, do some teams with rabid fanbases and brighter colors sell as well?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I can see the marketing/selling aspect of it. However, do some teams with rabid fanbases and brighter colors sell as well?

Of course. The Packers sell just fine without having to monkey with their colors.

Having marketable colors is only part of the equation. If you've got a team that isn't traditionally at the top of the merchandise charts, it's got to be awfully tempting to add black or navy, just to give those sales a little bump.

american-flag.jpg

And hear we go again with the self-plugging on here.

Back to the discussion that actually matters, I can see the marketing/selling aspect of it. However, do some teams with rabid fanbases and brighter colors sell as well?

I'll admit, that time was just to annoy you a little B)

As a Redskins fan, I think the idea of burgundy merchandise is pretty prevalent. I don't think gold as much however. I actually have this Redskins jacket:

men-pro-line-nfl-washington-redskins-full-zip-sherpa-jacket-shop_5221190_175.jpg

It's obviously black, and I actually kind of wish I had gotten a team colored one, but it's still pretty sweet! But the Redskins don't really ever have gold hats, shirts, etc.

BUT if you want to check my concepts, I made a gold Redskins jersey!!!! :D

potd 10/20/12

Checking back in with this thread after being away. Do we have a date for the new Bills stuff to be unveiled? Has anyone seen them and, if so, can someone at least describe them so they can be mocked up?

It's gotta come out before the draft. They will want to have their 3rd overall show up in a new jersey.

Probably at a draft party actually. That's what the Jags and Vikings (maybe?) have done. Same with the 49ers last year.

potd 10/20/12

Gold is huge in Packers merchandise. Even things which are primarily green tend to be liberally sprinkled with it.

But I admit they're a special case. And even the Packers contemplated a switch to navy, albeit at the very beginning of the merchandising boom.

Same thing with the Steelers (funny little coincidence)...but then, that's a Pittsburgh thing in general. (It also happens to be one of my favorite colors, possibly the reason I got suckered into buying so many t-shirts and terrible towels while I was living there.)

Going back to the Bills, Goth made an excellent point (that has since been expounded on) in regards to any future Bills merch possibly being primarily navy. Dark colors sell (and if anyone questions owners' motives in regards to that, ask the guy who owns the Marlins, and he'll "tell you what sells"). Now people like myself are just as soon drawn to brighter colors--but then, I'm pretty damn dark-skinned, so I can wear bright colors and get away with it :P . I wouldn't expect very many light- or white-skinned people to think bright orange or blue (or kelly green) looks good on them with regular ol' blue jeans or khakis. But that's just my own opinion.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived