Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

They never looked like the Patriots. The Patriots were the red jersey team while they were the blue jersey team. They've never looked like the Giants. The Giants were the blue helmet team, they were the red helmet team.

Obviously they legally couldn't look exactly the same during those periods, so some color-swapping was done, but they basically looked as similar as they possibly could to those two teams without risking a lawsuit.

They only looked like the Patriots for 2 of their first 4 seasons, 62-63. After that they had their own look (the look their throwbacks are based off of) until about 1975 when they and the Giants adopted an almost identical look at the same time.

jNTsTyQ.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a team without a really good look in its history, I'd agree with you.

But the Bills do, and that history should be their future.

IMO, the Bills haven't had a really good look ever. They went from looking like the Lions briefly to looking like the Patriots briefly to looking like the Giants to looking like a CFL team. The Bills drastically need a look that is uniquely theirs.

I agree with you. Thing of it is, it's hard to do anything too progressive with Buffalo (we sure found that out), and I'm not a fan of progressive stuff for heritage teams. I downloaded the pro comabt template, brightened it up so it's not so blade runnery, and came up with something. This is the best I could do at making traditional colors uniquely Buffalo's:

billshomecopy.png

billsroadcopy.png

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

good to hear, im excited to see what they come up with. the red helmet is very unique, hard to give up that color, but i wouldnt mind seeing a white one or even blue. even if they just bring back a white helmet throwback i think it would be great. hopefully we'll see something during the nfl draft

there was an amazing mock up of a bills blue helmet on UniWatch a couple months ago. here it is.

5151531580_b24671c839_o.jpg

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Wait, whats wrong with the Bengals uniforms?

Those idiotic side panels and the gaudy number font. If they just got rid of those two things, I'd have no problem with them.

Although they still wouldn't look as good as this:

10254390.jpg

Too bad they were associated with some of the most pitiful teams in league history.

The Bengals' numbers are more or less those of the Bears, with a different 1 and an extraneous drop-shadow. I think the Bears have very readable numbers, but then the Bengals muddle that up with the drop-shadows.

I'd kind of like the Bengals to wear orange jerseys to further separate them from the Browns. Black and brown are different, but fairly close, especially when both teams choose to wear orange helmets and white pants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With the Bills off the hook that leaves the Bengals and Vikings as the worst uniforms in the NFL...

I'm looking forward to the new Bills look. Between this and the retirement of the Buffaslug things are looking up in Buffalo.

Those idiotic side panels and the gaudy number font. If they just got rid of those two things, I'd have no problem with them.

10254390.jpg

Too bad they were associated with some of the most pitiful teams in league history.

The Bengals certainly had it right with these uniforms, even though the teams that wore them were pretty awful, they're still the best uniforms in team history.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

...well tigers are orange so that's a good fit and you can't really call the helmet "gimmicky" when it's 30th birthday is coming up next fall. It may have started out gimmicky, but it's time tested and has stuck around through two uniform changes and will probably survive the next uniform change. That's one of the marks of good design. Fun fact, there are only 6 longer running unchanged helmets in the NFL.

Okay, you're probably going to catch me with some inane tweaks, but I have the following helmets unchanged longer than the Bengals...unless you're not counting facemask color.

Cowboys

Redskins

Bears

Packers

Steelers

Colts

Browns

Chiefs

Raiders

and I think the Saints, though I know they've played around with the logo size

Bills need to say modern. I absolutely hate the afl throwbacks..

Keep modern, just do it right this time around

They tried modern and it didn't turn out all that well. I'm not hopeful that they'll "get it right" if they try modern again. Besides, the Bills are a traditional team. They play in a small northern town and were one of the charter AFL franchises. They should look the part of a traditional, northern team.

The Bills have had great uniforms in the past. Their best look, in my opinion, was the white helmet/current logo used from 1975-83. It hearkened back to the throwback look but modernized it by thickening the stripes and revamping the static logo. I doubt they'll return to this look, but the AFL throwbacks with the current logo on the helmets will be close enough.

...well tigers are orange so that's a good fit and you can't really call the helmet "gimmicky" when it's 30th birthday is coming up next fall. It may have started out gimmicky, but it's time tested and has stuck around through two uniform changes and will probably survive the next uniform change. That's one of the marks of good design. Fun fact, there are only 6 longer running unchanged helmets in the NFL.

Okay, you're probably going to catch me with some inane tweaks, but I have the following helmets unchanged longer than the Bengals...unless you're not counting facemask color.

Cowboys

Redskins

Bears

Packers

Steelers

Colts

Browns

Chiefs

Raiders

Skins have been the same since 1972 with a 1 year change (feather curled around) in 82 and a facemask change from grey to gold in 78

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

....to looking like a CFL team.

No team in the CFL looks as bad as Buffalo's current uniforms. And there are some bad uniforms in the CFL at the moment.

They kind of look like the Alouettes, but the Als do the look right.

Cowboys

Redskins

Bears

Packers

Steelers

Colts

Browns

Chiefs

Raiders

The Bengals adopted their current helmet in 1981.

The Redskins, in 1982, adopted the curled feather look, before returning to the current helmet in 1983.

The Bears switched to navy facemasks in 1982.

The Colts, in 1995, switched to blue facemasks. In 2004 they went back to grey, returning to a look last seen in 1976.

The Saints switched to their current helmet in 2000 when they revamped the logo. They didn't just tweak the size, they added an outline.

I know some of these changes are minor, but when discussing designs at this site the truth really is in the details. The Redskins, Bears, Colts, and Saints switched to their current helmet designs AFTER the Bengals adopted their current design in 1981.

Please don't give us another lazy reintroduced throwback uniform set, Bills. I'd like to see a team create a new original look from scratch for once.

Every time teams do this (Bills, Falcons, Chargers, Jaguars, Bengals, etc.) it sucks. Give me something tried and true, which they will of course.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10254390.jpg

The Bengals certainly had it right with these uniforms, even though the teams that wore them were pretty awful, they're still the best uniforms in team history.

I agree. These uniforms were great. With that said though, if they ever would have made an orange alternate of these uniforms, I don't think it would look good.

Archived