2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Josh Johnson no-hitting the Mets through 5...an Ike Davis walk his only blemish thus far.

FIRE SANDY!!!!111one

No, I said it...not Tank...you'll get your chance to quote him shortly I'm sure.

On edit: Make that Six Innings of hitless baseball for JJ.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got this lovely email from Terry Collins today

April 1, 2011

Dear Mets Fans:

With our 2011 opener tonight in Florida, I want to make this pledge to Mets fans ? our team will play the game the right way.

We will always hustle on the bases, run balls down in the outfield and never take anything for granted, no matter the score of the game.

We had a great Spring Training. From day one my message has been look ahead, not backward, and not to worry about what the people outside the clubhouse are saying. If we pitch and play defense like I know we can, we will surprise a lot of people, a lot of people.

I stack our lineup against anyone else's in the league. Getting Carlos Beltran back and hitting cleanup is really big. The way Carlos handled his move to right field was one of the classiest things I have ever seen. Angel Pagan is coming off a great season. While we had a little setback this week with Jason Bay ? who was swinging the bat well ? going on the Disabled List, he shouldn't be out too long. We believe with the three of them on the field, we have one of the top outfields in baseball.

Our infield is anchored by the two All-Stars on the left side: David Wright at third and Jose Reyes at short. I think David will add on to his numbers from last year and Jose is ready to have a tremendous season. He is one of the most dynamic players in the game. Ike Davis will continue to develop at first base and Jose Thole is one of the fine young catchers in the game. Brad Emaus, a Rule Five pick, got better and better as the spring went on and won the second base job.

On the mound, sure we are going to miss Johan Santana until he comes back, hopefully in mid-year. But this spring, I think we established a solid rotation with Mike Pelfrey, followed by R.A. Dickey and Jonathon Niese. Chris Young and Chris Capuano proved that they are healthy and they really strengthen us on the back end.

We remade our bullpen and we think we have quality arms who throw strikes to get to closer Francisco Rodriguez. K-Rod has just had a fantastic spring and I never have seen him throwing better. People like Bobby Parnell, D.J. Carrasco, Taylor Buchholz, Blaine Boyer, Tim Byrdak and Pedro Beato, another Rule V selection who is from Queens, will give us a solid pen.

I believe we have fortified our bench with the additions of Scott Hairston, Willie Harris, Ronny Paulino (who will begin the year on the Disabled List), and Chin-lung Hu along with Daniel Murphy.

It's been 12 years since I have started a season as a major league manager. I can't tell you how proud I am to be leading the New York Mets and am very excited about the season ahead.

Thanks for your support and see you at Citi Field.

Sincerely,

Fred Wilpon

Terry Collins

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's now 10-0 Blue Jays. Of the entire AL East, the Jays and Orioles are looking the most dominant on Opening Day... go figure. :)

=============

April 1, 2011

Dear Mets Fans:

With our 2011 opener tonight in Florida, I want to make this pledge to Mets fans — our team will play the game the right way blah blah blah vapid cliches.

Oh lord. Fire Joe Morgan needs to get back together just for that letter, it's dripping with prime material.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It's now 10-0 Blue Jays. Of the entire AL East, the Jays and Orioles are looking the most dominant on Opening Day... go figure. :)

=============

April 1, 2011

Dear Mets Fans:

With our 2011 opener tonight in Florida, I want to make this pledge to Mets fans ? our team will play the game the right way blah blah blah vapid cliches.

Oh lord. Fire Joe Morgan needs to get back together just for that letter, it's dripping with prime material.

And that's ignoring the fact that Jose Thole is really named Josh Thole

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Enlighten me.

It was a joke aimed at BBTV. Tank blamed all Dodgers fans for the fight last night. BBTV asked if the reaction would have been the same if it had happened in Philly. I said that since Tank blamed all Dodgers fans, it only seemed logical that he would blame all Philly fans if it had happened there. It really wasn't that difficult to follow. Consider yourself "enlightened."

By the way, "the six" what exactly?

BB52Big.jpg

April 1, 2011

Dear Mets Fans:

With our 2011 opener tonight in Florida, I want to make this pledge to Mets fans ? our team will play the game the right way.

We will always hustle on the bases, run balls down in the outfield and never take anything for granted, no matter the score of the game.

We had a great Spring Training. From day one my message has been look ahead, not backward, and not to worry about what the people outside the clubhouse are saying. If we pitch and play defense like I know we can, we will surprise a lot of people, a lot of people.

I stack our lineup against anyone else's in the league. Getting Carlos Beltran back and hitting cleanup is really big. The way Carlos handled his move to right field was one of the classiest things I have ever seen. Angel Pagan is coming off a great season. While we had a little setback this week with Jason Bay ? who was swinging the bat well ? going on the Disabled List, he shouldn't be out too long. We believe with the three of them on the field, we have one of the top outfields in baseball.

Our infield is anchored by the two All-Stars on the left side: David Wright at third and Jose Reyes at short. I think David will add on to his numbers from last year and Jose is ready to have a tremendous season. He is one of the most dynamic players in the game. Ike Davis will continue to develop at first base and Jose Thole is one of the fine young catchers in the game. Brad Emaus, a Rule Five pick, got better and better as the spring went on and won the second base job.

On the mound, sure we are going to miss Johan Santana until he comes back, hopefully in mid-year. But this spring, I think we established a solid rotation with Mike Pelfrey, followed by R.A. Dickey and Jonathon Niese. Chris Young and Chris Capuano proved that they are healthy and they really strengthen us on the back end.

We remade our bullpen and we think we have quality arms who throw strikes to get to closer Francisco Rodriguez. K-Rod has just had a fantastic spring and I never have seen him throwing better. People like Bobby Parnell, D.J. Carrasco, Taylor Buchholz, Blaine Boyer, Tim Byrdak and Pedro Beato, another Rule V selection who is from Queens, will give us a solid pen.

I believe we have fortified our bench with the additions of Scott Hairston, Willie Harris, Ronny Paulino (who will begin the year on the Disabled List), and Chin-lung Hu along with Daniel Murphy.

It's been 12 years since I have started a season as a major league manager. I can't tell you how proud I am to be leading the New York Mets and am very excited about the season ahead.

Thanks for your support and see you at Citi Field.

Sincerely,

Fred Wilpon

Terry Collins

April Fools?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

=============

April 1, 2011

Dear Mets Fans:

With our 2011 opener tonight in Florida, I want to make this pledge to Mets fans ? our team will play the game the right way blah blah blah vapid cliches.

And that's ignoring the fact that Jose Thole is really named Josh Thole

You of all people are going to call someone out over what was probably a typo?

BB52Big.jpg

Enlighten me.

It was a joke aimed at BBTV. Tank blamed all Dodgers fans for the fight last night. BBTV asked if the reaction would have been the same if it had happened in Philly. I said that since Tank blamed all Dodgers fans, it only seemed logical that he would blame all Philly fans if it had happened there. It really wasn't that difficult to follow. Consider yourself "enlightened."

I thought I was agreeing. The reaction Philly gets is the same LA is getting now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_six

or

http://www.last.fm/music/BLANKEY+JET+CITY/THE+SIX

Enlighten me.

I thought I was agreeing. The reaction Philly gets is the same LA is getting now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_six

or

http://www.last.fm/music/BLANKEY+JET+CITY/THE+SIX

Oh. I thought you were disagreeing. OK then, never mind.

I thought maybe "the six" was a hockey reference to the original six.

BB52Big.jpg

Tank, what is your aversion to sabermetrics? Are there at least some stats beyond W-L, ERA, batting average, and RBIs that hold water in your opinion? Why is it bad for a team to buttress its scouting with statistical analysis?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can get behind OPS I guess.

But Quality Start annoys me, as does WAR.

Staunch Republican annoyed by WAR. Just floatin' that one out there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If I ever go to a game in Chavez Ravine, I'm wearing Dodgers gear, just because.

Just stay out of Blood Terriotory if you do because that can create a whole nother kettle of fish and trouble.

Don't be so ignorant!

Bloods = Black gang

Dodger fans = mexicans

If I ever go to a game in Chavez Ravine, I'm wearing Dodgers gear, just because.

Just stay out of Blood Terriotory if you do because that can create a whole nother kettle of fish and trouble.

Don't be so ignorant!

Bloods = Black gang

Dodger fans = mexicans

But they hate the color blue

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Archived