2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did all the Cleveland fans go? :P

Sorry to disappoint but it's a Friday night. Why would I waste a weekend night here? :P

And before Lions fans get all hot and bothered, our starters went, what was it, 27-13?

Indians disappointed me though, but same thing happened in Chicago.

Oh, c'mon it's a preseason game! I don't really care about the outcome and maybe factors 5% into what the regular season will be.

On topic, the baseball game was great. I was jumping up and down when Austin Jackson hit a HR. Hoping for close games the rest of the series.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Sorry to disappoint but it's a Friday night. Why would I waste a weekend night here? :P

And before Lions fans get all hot and bothered, our starters went, what was it, 27-13?

Oh, c'mon it's a preseason game! I don't really care about the outcome and maybe factors 5% into what the regular season will be.

On topic, the baseball game was great. I was jumping up and down when Austin Jackson hit a HR. Hoping for close games the rest of the series.

Well we're throwing our Golden Boy Huff out there today. If there was anyone I should trust here, it's either Huff or Masterson.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

Well we're throwing our Golden Boy Huff out there today. If there was anyone I should trust here, it's either Huff or Masterson.

We're giving Fister the nod, he should be able to keep it close.

We're giving Fister the nod, he should be able to keep it close.

Interesting fact, the Indians haven't lost to anyone on the Tigers except Verlander and Scherzer(sp.)

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

Life of a Reds fan. I'm back to making meaningless goals so September becomes watchable.

- finish ahead of .500

- finish ahead of Pittsburgh

- finish ahead of St. Louis

- finish with a better W/L than Cleveland

The first two are very attainable, the second two will be difficult, but it'll make the last month of the season more interesting than just seeing how the recent call-ups perform.

PvO6ZWJ.png

O.co Coliseum! :P

In the pantheon of bad venue names, that takes the cake.

No matter what sponsor they slap on it. It will always be as John Facenda said THE OOOOOOOOOOAKLAND ALAMEDIA COUUUUUUNTY COLISEUM

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That was a booming shot by Trumbo. Wow, what a homerun.

That's how every one of his home runs looks. Kid can absolutely rake. Trumbo goes Jumbo. (wahhh wahhh) Mark can hit some Trumbombs (wah wah wah wahhhhhhhh) ( :P:lol: )

And even trying to take my homer sensibilities out of the discussion, I think that the AL ROY is Trumbo's to lose. Leads AL Rookies in games, at bats, runs, hits, doubles, homers and RBI. He's also 4th in walks and 5th in stolen bases. And while his average is only .259, it compares well to the other top hitters when you take in the games/at bats.

Trumbo is gonna be a good one for a long time. That injury to Morales was almost a blessing in disguise. (Although it does bring up the problem of where to stick Trumbo/Morales when everyone is healthy.)

I read that they're trying to push Trumbo into playing winter ball to work on playing outfield and possibly even 3rd. He was drafted as a 3B.

That was a booming shot by Trumbo. Wow, what a homerun.

That's how every one of his home runs looks. Kid can absolutely rake. Trumbo goes Jumbo. (wahhh wahhh) Mark can hit some Trumbombs (wah wah wah wahhhhhhhh) ( :P:lol: )

And even trying to take my homer sensibilities out of the discussion, I think that the AL ROY is Trumbo's to lose. Leads AL Rookies in games, at bats, runs, hits, doubles, homers and RBI. He's also 4th in walks and 5th in stolen bases. And while his average is only .259, it compares well to the other top hitters when you take in the games/at bats.

Trumbo is gonna be a good one for a long time. That injury to Morales was almost a blessing in disguise. (Although it does bring up the problem of where to stick Trumbo/Morales when everyone is healthy.)

I read that they're trying to push Trumbo into playing winter ball to work on playing outfield and possibly even 3rd.

Trumbo was drafted as a 3B, so I'm thinking that'll be his destination. The Halos are way too overloaded with Hunter/Bourjos/Wells/Abreu/Trout to add him to that mix. Ideally they'll use Callaspo and/or Izturis as trade bait for some pitching, and then make a run for Heilman, Madson, Bell, Capps, Papelbon, etc. in the pen and then for the suspect rotation, make a run at Buehrle, Capuano, Jackson, Kuroda, Marquis, Penny, Wilson, etc.

VmWIn6B.png

I have to be honest, even though it is Angels-related, this might be my favorite thing I've read all week. From Sam Miller's recent BP Chat.

ssimon (Pelham, NY): Best clubhouse story you couldn't tell until today?

Sam Miller: I don't really have any good clubhouse stories, partly because the Angels' clubhouse is quite dull and partly because I'm not around the clubhouse more than a couple times a homestand. So I'm going to reprint the greatest clubhouse story ever, from Matt McCarthy's book "Odd Man Out," about his year with the Angels' short-season team. (The book may or may not be true, for what it's worth.)

"An Angels employee briefly interrupted the revelry to bring us fifth leftover hot dogs from the concession stand's Weenie Wednesday promotion.

"I took my hot dog over to my locker and began to undress. That was when things got interesting. When I turned around, I saw the dark, naked bodies of two young Dominicans hovering around the hot dogs. Erick Aybar and Alberto Callaspo ... were inseparable and spoke no English -- the most one of them had ever said to me was "Why-ya-ya-ya-ya-yeah!" after I'd pitched a scoreless inning the week before.

"Gradually, more of my teammates turned to watch as Aybar's and Callaspo's naked bodies circled the food. We all knew they were up to something no good. Two naked heterosexual teenagers don't stand that close together for that long next to a box of hot dogs without something happening.

"Suddenly, Callaspo took one of the hot dogs out of its bun and deep-throated it. Then he took the bun and put it around Aybar's flaccid (etc etc) and poured ketchup on it. Jaws dropped -- Aybar was a willing participant. Then Callaspo bent over and pretended to eat the Dominican (etc etc etc) hot dog. When he did that, we all screamed, "Nooooo!"

"Getting the reaction he'd desired, Callaspo turned to a few of us and said, "I no gay. You gay" and burst into a fit of laughter. Callaspo slapped Aybar on the ass and the two laughed all the way to the shower."

BTW, Angels fans, the Rangers will trade you Taylor Teagarden and beat writer Evan Grant for Miller. He's awesome.

I have to be honest, even though it is Angels-related, this might be my favorite thing I've read all week. From Sam Miller's recent BP Chat.

ssimon (Pelham, NY): Best clubhouse story you couldn't tell until today?

Sam Miller: I don't really have any good clubhouse stories, partly because the Angels' clubhouse is quite dull and partly because I'm not around the clubhouse more than a couple times a homestand. So I'm going to reprint the greatest clubhouse story ever, from Matt McCarthy's book "Odd Man Out," about his year with the Angels' short-season team. (The book may or may not be true, for what it's worth.)

"An Angels employee briefly interrupted the revelry to bring us fifth leftover hot dogs from the concession stand's Weenie Wednesday promotion.

"I took my hot dog over to my locker and began to undress. That was when things got interesting. When I turned around, I saw the dark, naked bodies of two young Dominicans hovering around the hot dogs. Erick Aybar and Alberto Callaspo ... were inseparable and spoke no English -- the most one of them had ever said to me was "Why-ya-ya-ya-ya-yeah!" after I'd pitched a scoreless inning the week before.

"Gradually, more of my teammates turned to watch as Aybar's and Callaspo's naked bodies circled the food. We all knew they were up to something no good. Two naked heterosexual teenagers don't stand that close together for that long next to a box of hot dogs without something happening.

"Suddenly, Callaspo took one of the hot dogs out of its bun and deep-throated it. Then he took the bun and put it around Aybar's flaccid (etc etc) and poured ketchup on it. Jaws dropped -- Aybar was a willing participant. Then Callaspo bent over and pretended to eat the Dominican (etc etc etc) hot dog. When he did that, we all screamed, "Nooooo!"

"Getting the reaction he'd desired, Callaspo turned to a few of us and said, "I no gay. You gay" and burst into a fit of laughter. Callaspo slapped Aybar on the ass and the two laughed all the way to the shower."

BTW, Angels fans, the Rangers will trade you Taylor Teagarden and beat writer Evan Grant for Miller. He's awesome.

Wow... I really have no words for that story. I have no idea what to say to that :lol:

And no thanks, we'll keep Miller. I like him. Not the best on game stories (where regular beat writer Bill Plunkett succeeds), but he does some great breakdowns and analysis..

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Inge is back, somebody shoot me now!

First at-bat, HR on first pitch :boogie:(dance):boogie:(dance)

HAHA double second at-bat

What did he do in between? I mean, did he look happy? Was he smiling? Was he talking to people on the bench, or did he just kind of want to be left alone? Was he hitting the Gatorade more than usual? A lot can happen in between at bats - by only posting every at bat, you're only posting part of the story.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Inge is back, somebody shoot me now!

First at-bat, HR on first pitch :boogie:(dance):boogie:(dance)

HAHA double second at-bat

What did he do in between? I mean, did he look happy? Was he smiling? Was he talking to people on the bench, or did he just kind of want to be left alone? Was he hitting the Gatorade more than usual? A lot can happen in between at bats - by only posting every at bat, you're only posting part of the story.

Between he was smiling, talking and all of that. He must have learned a lesson down in AAA. Looks happy to be back.

Alright, the Mets find the nuttiest ways to play games. They were down huge, now they're up 9-7 heading into the 9th. Oh, and they completely burned K-Rod in the 8th

EDIT: And now Iggy has the bases loaded. Geez, never a dull moment with this team

Being a Mets fan is like being water boarded on a nightly basis.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived