2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its interesting to note the strange history of cheap home runs deciding big games continues.

Bobby Thompson's shot heard round the world, Ozzie Smith's home run in the '85 NLCS, the Jeffrey Maier play, and you can add this one as well. Tropicana Field may be the only park in the league where that's a home run. Anywhere else that's a double.

Start at the 4:01 Mark. That's the most comparable thing I can find to what we just witnessed tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJI5pKtMrk

That's the exact thought I had about tonight's games....that it had a "NFL Week 17: Teams fighting for playoff spots" feel to it. (At least, before NBC acquired the flex-scheduling option.)

I vividly remember that week where the Packers and Panthers were literally having a race to score more points than the other, too....

I'm actually relieved that the Braves didn't make the playoffs. No way in hell were they going to sniff the Series, anyway. Might as well let the hot team get a crack at it. Can't say I'll be cheering for them (won't mind them beating the Phillies), but I doff my cap to the Cardinals for not quitting.

And I had to be stuck writing my :censored:ing thesis tonight.

:censored:in' Big Bubba, eh?

Yeah, I'm switching to a thesis about why my professors are completely awful and made me miss the best day of baseball ever.

Its interesting to note the strange history of cheap home runs deciding big games continues.

Bobby Thompson's shot heard round the world, Ozzie Smith's home run in the '85 NLCS, the Jeffrey Maier play, and you can add this one as well. Tropicana Field may be the only park in the league where that's a home run. Anywhere else that's a double.

Might be out at YS, but the wall may be a bit to high. Remember Game 2 of the ALDS in 2009. Mark Teixeira's walk off down the line to LF vs. the Twins.

Serious, that's Jeremy Clarkson with an extra chromosome in that video.

Also, I can think of no finer day than tomorrow to wear my Carl Crawford D-Rays jersey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Start at the 4:01 Mark. That's the most comparable thing I can find to what we just witnessed tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJI5pKtMrk

That's the exact thought I had about tonight's games....that it had a "NFL Week 17: Teams fighting for playoff spots" feel to it. (At least, before NBC acquired the flex-scheduling option.)

I vividly remember that week where the Packers and Panthers were literally having a race to score more points than the other, too....

I'm actually relieved that the Braves didn't make the playoffs. No way in hell were they going to sniff the Series, anyway. Might as well let the hot team get a crack at it. Can't say I'll be cheering for them (won't mind them beating the Phillies), but I doff my cap to the Cardinals for not quitting.

Gonna be honest: I came to that conclusion before tonight's game ended. I think it was in the 12th when I was like "Well, what's the point? Yeah, it would be awesome to see this team somehow avoid the collapse, but they're probably not gonna go to St. Louis and win...and even if they did, the pitching's not there like it was during the summer for this team to make a run." That's pretty much when I realized that win or lose, the Braves were donezo. So, to the April-August 2011 Braves, great season. You guys were awesome. To the September Braves...ew.

At least there's always next year, right? :P

Might be out at YS, but the wall may be a bit to high.

At Yankee Stadium I think it bounces off the wall. That thing couldn't have gotten more then 30 feet off the ground and couldn't have cleared that 315 foot mark by any more then a couple of feet and its 318 feet down the left field line at Yankee Stadium.

Just waiting to see what ESPN home run tracker has to say about it.

At least there's always next year, right? :P

I guess now's not a good time to mention that there's no Thrashers hockey and a real possibility of no Hawks basketball to fill the buffer between the NFL playoffs and 2012 MLB Spring Training, eh?

So we get two entire calendar seasons to stew over this spectacular collapse while watching the Falcons & our respective (and likely to disappoint, when it comes to Mississippi State :P) SEC football teams. Lovely.

Also, for :censored:s & giggles: The 2011 Atlanta Braves playoff probabilities. Here's Boston's as well. Both teams at one point, had a 99% chance of making it in. Both teams are now wondering, to paraphrase the words of a surprisingly xenophobic Katt Williams, "What the hell? This is from Satan!"

I'm a Yankee fan, so I obviously have a deep seeded dislike for the Red Sox, but I have respect for guys like Pedroia and Youkilis. This guy on the other hand is a just a major douche-bag. Here is a prime example why. No reason to be a complete :censored: to a reporter who's simply doing his job by evoking a sound bite.

I'm a Yankee fan, so I obviously have a deep seeded dislike for the Red Sox, but I have respect for guys like Pedroia and Youkilis. This guy on the other hand is a just a major douche-bag. Here is a prime example why. No reason to be a complete :censored: to a reporter who's simply doing his job by evoking a sound bite.

wow

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Archived