Evolution of the current Buffalo Sabres identity.

daschuck77

Here are the drafts/sketches. They were removed from his portfolio at some point today. Frank certainly is a talented designer when factoring in all of his industrial design work at HSBC Arena and freelance work. Since his early ideas for the 2006 logo were pretty good in my opinion, the only question I wanted to know is whether or not RBK stepped in and guided the design to it's final version to fit those initial Edge jerseys that were allegedly to be tucked in. When looking at another other new identity in 2006, the Ducks appeared to have a similar size logo as well and were too late to be changed while the rest of the NHL waited for the Edge uniform system in 2007. Who knows what the hell RBK was trying to do to the NHL back in 2006...from what they were trying to do to Detroit with the silver and black accents, it seems like an NHL wide debacle was avoided.

40thSketches.jpg

slugdrafts.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somethin's fishy here. The only time I see people abruptly take artwork down like that is when they got caught trying to pass off others' work as their own.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Who knows what the hell RBK was trying to do to the NHL back in 2006...from what they were trying to do to Detroit with the silver and black accents, it seems like an NHL wide debacle was avoided.

Hardly. The Reebok Edge Uniform system was a huge debacle. Everything from the moisture wicking technology filling the players gloves with sweat to the hideous futuristic designs, most of which have been or are in the process of being replaced. Then theres the whole counterfeiting thing which wasn't even an issue before.

Somethin's fishy here. The only time I see people abruptly take artwork down like that is when they got caught trying to pass off others' work as their own.

Frank is the Sabres' Director of Creative services...this is his work and is in charge of nearly every Sabres graphic on the web, in print, on uniforms, and most of the HSBC Arena decor.

and yeah, I take that back it was a debacle from a both an aesthetic and functional standpoint with the jerseys. But imagine if RBK had their way with any of the original six...it would have been far worse for the league.

no what i'm saying is that some of the stuff he had up there was not done by him, so he removed that stuff when the original creator contacted him. The "Buffaslug" logo was not created by him, he may have had a hand in the direction of the logo but it was not created by him, as well as some of the sketches he had on his coroflot page. He may have been in charge of the items you listed but it does not mean he designed them, look at the uniform page, it clearly has Reebok text and logos on it.

no what i'm saying is that some of the stuff he had up there was not done by him, so he removed that stuff when the original creator contacted him. The "Buffaslug" logo was not created by him, he may have had a hand in the direction of the logo but it was not created by him, as well as some of the sketches he had on his coroflot page. He may have been in charge of the items you listed but it does not mean he designed them, look at the uniform page, it clearly has Reebok text and logos on it.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...who designed the 2006 logo? According to the Sabres there were about 80 to choose from before that thing was given the green light to infamy. I still can't believe someone didn't chime in and list all the unwanted associations that logo could bring before it found it's way on a hockey jersey.

What "unwanted associations"? Sure, it's very ugly, but what associations did it bring?

A slug, Donald Trump's toupee... the list goes on.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Ok, thanks for clearing that up...who designed the 2006 logo? According to the Sabres there were about 80 to choose from before that thing was given the green light to infamy. I still can't believe someone didn't chime in and list all the unwanted associations that logo could bring before it found it's way on a hockey jersey.

I did... I didn't want to go crazy with this and blowing things out of proportion. I have several rounds of work where you can see how the "Buffaslug" took shape, so when I was given a heads up (What up, MEANS) about the original post and saw the work online, I felt the need to speak up. I spoke to Mr. Cravotta and stated how the postings of some images could be misleading, due to the fact that the re-brand was a collaborative effort, and I thank him for removing those images in such a timely manner. It's funny, I never really thought I'd be speaking on behalf of this project, especially since they've all but abandoned the mark, but since I'm on the subject, I guess I'll let it rip! I guess the thing that frustrates me the most is a lot of people on these forums have no idea of the amount of work that goes into these projects, yet fire off at the mouth (or keyboard) like they are seasoned veterans at this stuff. Seriously, I would click on some of these cats' profiles, and some of the biggest smack talkers were still working up concepts in MS Paint... GTFOOH!!! The truth of the matter is there was months of work that came from our team before this logo was decided upon. It's common for designers to work up a ton of sketches and options to please a client, but when the client has their own idea of how things should look, it's kinda out of your hands. Honestly, I'm thankful because I've grown thick skin by reading people's bashings and critiques. I don't believe I'm a bad designer, despite people calling for me (or should I say, "the designer") to be castrated, among other things... by the way, does anyone remember www.fixthelogo.com, an online petition to have the Sabres logo scrapped immediately after the unveiling? I sure as hell do! That sucked, because I was a young designer just trying to do my job and service a client, and happy for the opportunity to be able to accomplish a childhood dream. In the end, I've learned to chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. I am happy to report that since that catastrophe, I've worked on other sports identities and luckily, response has been rather positive. I won't go into detail on that stuff, but I just figured I'd clear the air on that... Drama's squashed... It's all good!

Kristopher Bazen
Kris Bazen Creative
www.www.krisbazen.com

Twitter: @krisbazen

Dribbble: dribbble.com/krisbazen

To be honest, the first sketch is the best of the bunch. I also think the final product would have looked better if the buffalo wasn't rotated at an extreme angle. That kind of made the logo look a bit imbalanced/"off" to me.

That's cool... To each, their own. As a matter fact, a good friend of mine worked that up too!

Kristopher Bazen
Kris Bazen Creative
www.www.krisbazen.com

To be honest, the first sketch is the best of the bunch. I also think the final product would have looked better if the buffalo wasn't rotated at an extreme angle. That kind of made the logo look a bit imbalanced/"off" to me.

That's cool... To each, their own. As a matter fact, a good friend of mine worked that up too!

This whole process will not reflect on your talents as a designer but rather the RBK and the Sabres orgainization's 'deciders' to use the logo was a complete disregard for the team's already iconic logo, tradition, and tribal loyalty of the fans. They did it before in 1996 when they switched to the red and black identity. Then they did it again in 2006 when the team promised a vague return to the 'blue and gold' and mistakenly chose a logo that does not reflect anything mentioned ubove and I believe RBK is just as much to blame for that as well with its whole form fitting Edge Uniform System agenda. You likely are not a WNY native, and not likely sensitive to that and were working very hard trying to satisfy your client's vision and cannot blamed for that end result. Certainly your early drafts of the 2006 logo were very nice and if you also did the work on the 40th anniversary jersey since, that was also an excellent job.

This whole process will not reflect on your talents as a designer but rather the RBK and the Sabres orgainization's 'deciders' to use the logo was a complete disregard for the team's already iconic logo, tradition, and tribal loyalty of the fans. They did it before in 1996 when they switched to the red and black identity. Then they did it again in 2006 when the team promised a vague return to the 'blue and gold' and mistakenly chose a logo that does not reflect anything mentioned ubove and I believe RBK is just as much to blame for that as well with its whole form fitting Edge Uniform System agenda. You likely are not a WNY native, and not likely sensitive to that and were working very hard trying to satisfy your client's vision and cannot blamed for that end result. Certainly your early drafts of the 2006 logo were very nice and if you also did the work on the 40th anniversary jersey since, that was also an excellent job.

Thanks for speaking on this, Das... BTW, got your email, and I'd like to chat with you sometime!

Kristopher Bazen
Kris Bazen Creative
www.www.krisbazen.com

I just think it's ironic that Sabres fans love to hate on the Buffaslug but praise this mess:

230.gif

Seriously? It looks like an 8-year-old tried to draw a buffalo, and failed miserably. This logo is ten times worse than the Slug in my book.

To each his own, dude.

Best. Logo. Ever.

I just think it's ironic that Sabres fans love to hate on the Buffaslug but praise this mess:

230.gif

Seriously? It looks like an 8-year-old tried to draw a buffalo, and failed miserably. This logo is ten times worse than the Slug in my book.

This is one of the worst NHL (maybe even "the big four") logos ever.

And they managed to update an already :censored: ty logo by making it :censored: tier.

Archived