Evolution of the current Buffalo Sabres identity.

daschuck77

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true too. But if you're implying that about me, you're wrong: I don't really care what year a uniform comes from, I just like a creative look that pushes the envelope. I like that Diamondbacks TATC, sure, but I like the Rams' classic sleeve-horn look just as much.

Frankly I don't care why you like certain looks. We all like what we like, and we all have our reasons for doing do.

The thing I take issue with is your insistence that most people who disagree with you only do it to show how "classy and above it all" they are.

Hence my "all people who like new designs just do out of a contrainian obsession" remark. I don't really think that, I was just hoping to show you how silly your over-generalization was by turning it around on you.

I was just about to say the same thing as BBTV. I'd say many of the traditionalists here do it to be obstinate and make a show of how "classy" they are or whatever.

As long as we're making broad generalizations about people with different opinions....

I'd say that many of the people who like newer looks do it just out of some sort of contrainian obsession.

That's true too. But if you're implying that about me, you're wrong: I don't really care what year a uniform comes from, I just like a creative look that pushes the envelope. I like that Diamondbacks TATC, sure, but I like the Rams' classic sleeve-horn look just as much.

Your whole gimmick is finding the most obnoxious "modern" or "futuristic" or otherwise most obscure design and arguing (just for the sake of arguing) how great it is and how you don't care if you're the only one who likes it and everyone who hates it is stuck in the past. You either like being the contrarian, or your distaste for the staunch traditionalists has clouded your judgement and destroyed your ability to discuss and debate in an intelligent manner. Frankly, you make those of us who do appreciate a lot of aspects of contemporary design look bad, and it's very annoying.

On the other hand, IceCap is very suborn with his opinions and can be very argumentative too, so maybe both of you in the same thread is a bad combination. And yes, I acknowledge the "pot-kettle" thing happening here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I for one also liked the Goat Head. Lack of any real connection to the team's past identity aside, I thought it was an overall solid look. But at the same time, I have a habit of forgetting it even existed. Whenever I see a photo of it the first thing that springs to mind is "...Oh yeah! They wore THAT!"

It's felt like forever since they last wore it, but I won't be too disappointed if they never bring it back. The retro Sabres logo was good for its time, and aside from some minor niggles I think the updated version is pretty much perfect. About the only change I'd make to them now is to get rid of those Godforsaken pit stains.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Morgo is insane. There is not one point that you just made that i can agree with.

The original really isn't poorly done. I don't understand why that keeps getting said. It is a simple, well-executed sports logo.

Also, i hate that 90's logo. If something is well-done, it should be mentioned as being "That great buffalo logo", not as "The Goathead".

...just saying.

Probably... I stand by everything I said regardless. I'd be surprised if the people calling it a "Goathead" had even seen a goat in their lifetime. The only thing on the Sabres logo remotely resembling a Goat is the tuft of hair below the chin which is a characteristic of both animals. The shape of the head and the horns however look nothing like a goat. Same with the eyes and especially the ears.

zsabresgoat.png

• 1 month later...

Question about the book cover test...most would agree the Black Hawks have one of the classiest and most iconic logo in hockey. However, I can't see an 8 year old being able to draw that logo. Are they an exception to the rule?

70389454.png

When it comes to the "book cover test" and "iconic," some of it comes down to the team name in the first place. "Predators" is a lousy name, as are many of the names of that era.

When it comes to the "goat head" logo, I don't see a goat, I see a bison (buffalo), but the team is based in Buffalo, they are called the Sabres. Unless there is some sort of reference to the buffalo's horns being "sabres" then it's just like putting an icon for the city on the jerseys and forgetting the team name. Which is fine, I guess. I've always liked the sleeve logo of a B with a sabre stuck in it, myself.

However, I'm not a fan of teams changing their entire color schemes - darken a blue, that's ok. Change from blue & yellow to red, black and silver? Not cool in my book. This can be applied to the LA Kings attempts to get in a 90s rap video with the change to Raiders colors in the 99 era as well. Purple and gold are colors of royalty and match the only other *successful* pro sports franchise in town.

Question about the book cover test...most would agree the Black Hawks have one of the classiest and most iconic logo in hockey. However, I can't see an 8 year old being able to draw that logo. Are they an exception to the rule?

Most likely not, but they can easily doodle the shoulder logo.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The old/current Sabres crest COULD be as iconic as you people say it is, but it needs fixing. For one thing, the motion lines need to be ditched, and the buffalo needs to actually look more like a buffalo instead of a blob. The Sabres should take inspiration from the Lions' current logo on how to simply but accurately depict an animal. Said updated buffalo should also look like it's jumping through the sabres instead of to the side. I would try to make this logo myself as a concept but I'm not good at drawing.

I agree with some of what you said, but this stands out. Why the hell should the buffalo be jumping through the sabres? They are clearly not in the same perspective or on the same plane. That is, unless they are Paul Bunyan's sabres.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Question about the book cover test...most would agree the Black Hawks have one of the classiest and most iconic logo in hockey. However, I can't see an 8 year old being able to draw that logo.

I never had a problem with it, and I never had anything remotely resembling artistic talent.

56.gif

The sum total of the design is complex, but it's fairly easy to break down the individual components that any 8 year old should be to draw and put together as a picture resembling the above logo...

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats on the other hand, I could never even come close to replicating...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Morgo is insane. There is not one point that you just made that i can agree with.

The original really isn't poorly done. I don't understand why that keeps getting said. It is a simple, well-executed sports logo.

Also, i hate that 90's logo. If something is well-done, it should be mentioned as being "That great buffalo logo", not as "The Goathead".

...just saying.

Probably... I stand by everything I said regardless. I'd be surprised if the people calling it a "Goathead" had even seen a goat in their lifetime. The only thing on the Sabres logo remotely resembling a Goat is the tuft of hair below the chin which is a characteristic of both animals. The shape of the head and the horns however look nothing like a goat. Same with the eyes and especially the ears.

zsabresgoat.png

What's the thing supposed to be to the lower right of the "Goathead" logo? I've never been able to figure out what might be there, since the body seems to be back and to the left of the head.

Like the Goathead. Don't think the original logo is that good - could someone fix the orientation of the Buffalo so he doesn't look like he's going to fall on his head?

It's where I sit.

Archived