Not the Minnesota Wild?

OMMF

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wild have a slideshow of what the other choices for the team name would have looked like had they been chosen:

http://wild.nhl.com/...ng.htm?id=20535

Article also has pictures of the sweaters:

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=552722

Northern Lights logo isn't that bad, Voyaguers logo and jersey mock isn't that bad either but I hate the name voyaguers, but all the other logos... suck!!!

spacer.png

Unfortunately, the best name for the team wasn't in there: The North Stars. They could have just re-named the Dallas team the Mooteruses... Mooteri..?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Unfortunately, the best name for the team wasn't in there: The North Stars. They could have just re-named the Dallas team the Mooteruses... Mooteri..?

there was a lot of clamoring to resurrect the North Stars nickname. A trademark issue with the NHL made that an impossibility

Also, regarding the wonderful Northern Lights jersey:

Look closer, and you'll see these jerseys are hyper color (remember those?), and actually change colors when heat is applied. As you can see, Schultz is breaking quite a sweat, causing the Aurora Borealis within the fabric to start changing color to a vibrant yellow.

That sure would've given a certain other franchise a run for their money as the "laughing stock" team :rolleyes:

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The Northern Lights, Blue Ox, and Voyageurs logos were really cool. The Blue Ox and Voyageurs uniforms were alright (save the Voyageurs' white helmet and socks with black top and shorts), but dear goodness, the Northern Lights uniforms are gosh awful. Sad thing is, I think that was the logo and name that, of all the non-Wild choices, had the best "potential". Shorten the name to "North Lights", maybe change the purple to a deep blue, and wear a uniform that is as far away from looking like those posted montrosities as possible, and you've got an identity that works.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

But nobody says "North Lights." That would be like calling them the "Northern Stars."

"Voyageurs" would be a good name for a Milwaukee NHL team if they wanted to leave the Admirals name in minor-league history. Milwaukee has a nice little French-exploration heritage that gets overlooked.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Great. Someone on the Wild got Photoshop Elements for Christmas.

I would have preferred the Voyageurs nickname, and perhaps even Northern Lights, to Wild. But note that the uniforms wouldn't have looked even remotely like what's been posted here - each is just a re-color of the Wild's current uniforms, following all conventions of their existing designs.

If they'd even remotely thought of going with that Northern Lights logo in real life, the team would have gotten the breezers sued off of 'em.

Man, the late nineties were really a bizarro wasteland of sports identity design.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Northern Lights was their best option and these sweaters are at least tolerable:

schultznorthernlights.jpg

Still, I find it hard to believe that Craig Leipold can't work out some type of deal with the Dallas organization to get the rights to the North Stars name. Normally I wouldn't advocate for a franchise to arbitrarily change its name this far into their existence, but Minnesota North Stars was one of the most appropriate and fitting names in the history of pro sports. I would actually adopt and support them if they made the switch.

"Minnesota North Stars" has such an ear-pleasing cadence, like "needle in a haystack." The N-Star logo was awesome, too. All that said, I don't know what the hell is going on in that picture. It looks like the '90s threw up.

"Voyageurs" would be a good name for a Milwaukee NHL team if they wanted to leave the Admirals name in minor-league history. Milwaukee has a nice little French-exploration heritage that gets overlooked.

That was one of the names Marquette considered after the whole "Gold" fiasco... even more fitting for a school named after one of those French explorers. Not sure I like it for a pro hockey team though... not to mention the sophomoric smartassery it lends itself to (i.e. voyeurs).

That was one of the names Marquette considered after the whole "Gold" fiasco... even more fitting for a school named after one of those French explorers. Not sure I like it for a pro hockey team though... not to mention the sophomoric smartassery it lends itself to (i.e. voyeurs).

Both words are derived from the French voir, actually, though how many non-Quebec hecklers (Quebeclers?) would pick up on that is surely infinitesimal.

Voyageurs would've been a good nickname (better than Wild, IMO), but none of those jerseys come close to matching what the Wild wear. That Northern Lights jerseys is just all sorts of hideous.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Archived