Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

Really? The city of Sacramento will never have another pro-sports team. Why wouldn't they pull out all the stops to keep the team in town?

Also, according to the wikipedia page (which I know is all 100% legit...), Montreal was/is being considered as a possible relocation spot... :therock:

With all the recent talk (by Stern himself) of Vancouver being a possible destination, why haven't the Kings looked into it? It's a growing, diverse market.

But I do agree that Anaheim would be better in the long run, but I hope that they stay in SacTown.

A) The Maloofs are based in Vegas, want the team near them (Vegas is economically out of the running). Essentially their location goes north up to Sacramento and south to probably San Diego, although they're not an option at this time.

B) Vancouver contacted the league about future relocations and Stern basically said they'd keep em in mind, but a market that previously failed after about 5 years is not high up on the list of locations they'd look at moving a team. Especially with Seattle and others available.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that I wonder is that since the Lakers have such a dominant footprint in Southern California for a long time, would people in the OC instantly support a new team there?

I think they would support the team and go to the games. But at the end of the day, they'd still be Laker fans.

Like me personally, I guess I'd support them as the OC team and hometown team. But I'd never drop the Lakers for them. When the Lakers and Kings would play, I'd still root for the Lakers.

I wouldn't say instantly support them. But people would go to the games for the most part, unless it's against the terrible teams in the league. You'd get people out there for the Lakers/Clippers/Knicks/Celtics/Spurs/Heat/etc. but not for the Pacers/Grizzlies/Bobcats/etc.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

One thing that I wonder is that since the Lakers have such a dominant footprint in Southern California for a long time, would people in the OC instantly support a new team there?

I think they would support the team and go to the games. But at the end of the day, they'd still be Laker fans.

Like me personally, I guess I'd support them as the OC team and hometown team. But I'd never drop the Lakers for them. When the Lakers and Kings would play, I'd still root for the Lakers.

I wouldn't say instantly support them. But people would go to the games for the most part, unless it's against the terrible teams in the league. You'd get people out there for the Lakers/Clippers/Knicks/Celtics/Spurs/Heat/etc. but not for the Pacers/Grizzlies/Bobcats/etc.

Something I always wondered is this: Doesn't Anaheim dislike being clumped in and/or rooting for L.A. market clubs? If so, rooting for the Lakers contradicts that to some extent. I mean, I understand that because people were Lakers fans to begin with that they're always going to be Lakers fans. But, if the Kings become the "hometown" club, regardless of whether they're going to hold a candle to the Lakers, why not support the "hometown" club? As a matter of fact, why not both if folks are still undecided?

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Something I always wondered is this: Doesn't Anaheim dislike being clumped in and/or rooting for L.A. market clubs? If so, rooting for the Lakers contradicts that to some extent. I mean, I understand that because people were Lakers fans to begin with, they're always going to be Lakers fans. But, if the Kings become the "hometown" club, regardless of whether they're going to hold a candle to the Lakers, why not support the "hometown" club? As a matter of fact, why not both if folks are still undecided?

For the most part, yeah people in OC will root for the Angels/Ducks and not for the Dodgers/Kings. But that's never been the case in basketball.

The Lakers are the one true SoCal team. Angels/Dodger fans are Laker fans. Ducks/Kings fans are Laker fans. Chargers/Raiders/Rams fans are/were Lakers fans. The Lakers own LA, OC, Riverside, San Bernardino, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Indio, Barstow, San Diego, and hell, even Las Vegas.

Of course there are the Clippers fans around. But on the whole, the Lakers are the one common thread for all of SoCal. The Lakers aren't so much just an LA team as they are SoCal's team. So really it's a different animal.

And since like I said it is the one common sports thread really for all of SoCal, there is a different energy across all of SoCal where the Lakers are concerned. Everyone talks about them for good or bad or whatever. Whereas with the other sports, people will be more split on their conversations.

Now OC has never really had their own option for the NBA, unless you wanted to be the counter-Laker fan and root for the Clippers. That would really be the only chance for the OC anti-LA thing in the NBA.

Now if you give OC an option in the Kings, maybe those people that are anti-Lakers fans and never wanted to root for the Clippers for all those bad years, maybe they'd be full-time Anaheim Kings fans. But like I said, the Lakers are the kings of SoCal, really. You'll have Anaheim Kings fans, just because they are the OC/Anaheim team. But, if it was a life or death choice, they'd go with the Lakers.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Something I always wondered is this: Doesn't Anaheim dislike being clumped in and/or rooting for L.A. market clubs? If so, rooting for the Lakers contradicts that to some extent. I mean, I understand that because people were Lakers fans to begin with, they're always going to be Lakers fans. But, if the Kings become the "hometown" club, regardless of whether they're going to hold a candle to the Lakers, why not support the "hometown" club? As a matter of fact, why not both if folks are still undecided?

For the most part, yeah people in OC will root for the Angels/Ducks and not for the Dodgers/Kings. But that's never been the case in basketball.

The Lakers are the one true SoCal team. Angels/Dodger fans are Laker fans. Ducks/Kings fans are Laker fans. Chargers/Raiders/Rams fans are/were Lakers fans. The Lakers own LA, OC, Riverside, San Bernardino, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Indio, Barstow, San Diego, and hell, even Las Vegas.

Of course there are the Clippers fans around. But on the whole, the Lakers are the one common thread for all of SoCal. The Lakers aren't so much just an LA team as they are SoCal's team. So really it's a different animal.

And since like I said it is the one common sports thread really for all of SoCal, there is a different energy across all of SoCal where the Lakers are concerned. Everyone talks about them for good or bad or whatever. Whereas with the other sports, people will be more split on their conversations.

Now OC has never really had their own option for the NBA, unless you wanted to be the counter-Laker fan and root for the Clippers. That would really be the only chance for the OC anti-LA thing in the NBA.

Now if you give OC an option in the Kings, maybe those people that are anti-Lakers fans and never wanted to root for the Clippers for all those bad years, maybe they'd be full-time Anaheim Kings fans. But like I said, the Lakers are the kings of SoCal, really. You'll have Anaheim Kings fans, just because they are the OC/Anaheim team. But, if it was a life or death choice, they'd go with the Lakers.

Some very good points.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

A State Assembly member representing the Sacramento area has gone on record to indicate that local investors should buy the team.

Poor guy has little idea on the loan the City gave the team in 1997 before the Maloofs bought the team and no new facility in the future.

Yeah and the Maloofs aren't looking to sell.

Up here in Sacramento, besides the Kings, I would say the Lakers are a clear second in terms of fan support here, way more then the Warriors.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I don't think the people of Orange County can shake being lumped with Los Angeles, only because for so long, it has been tied into the Los Angeles media market for generations. I mean, using as an example, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. are roughly the same distance between one another as is Los Angeles and Anaheim, but yet Baltimore and Washington are separate media markets; each have their own sets of TV network affiliates, radio stations, and newspapers. Yes, Orange County has its own daily newspaper (the Register), and some its own television and radio stations, but it's all an extension of the Los Angeles media market. The Kings would be an Orange County team in theory, but in the grand scheme of things, they would be going after the big money in terms of advertising and broadcasting rights, which is across the county line 30 miles to the northwest.

However, even though I don't think the Kings moving to Anaheim would be a long-term success, they would get the support right away, only because it'll be sort of a curiosity factor.

I don't think the people of Orange County can shake being lumped with Los Angeles, only because for so long, it has been tied into the Los Angeles media market for generations. I mean, using as an example, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. are roughly the same distance between one another as is Los Angeles and Anaheim, but yet Baltimore and Washington are separate media markets; each have their own sets of TV network affiliates, radio stations, and newspapers. Yes, Orange County has its own daily newspaper (the Register), and some its own television and radio stations, but it's all an extension of the Los Angeles media market. The Kings would be an Orange County team in theory, but in the grand scheme of things, they would be going after the big money in terms of advertising and broadcasting rights, which is across the county line 30 miles to the northwest.

However, even though I don't think the Kings moving to Anaheim would be a long-term success, they would get the support right away, only because it'll be sort of a curiosity factor.

Both Baltimore and Washington are the center of influence for their respective regions, despite the near geographic overlap. Each one would go on just fine without the existence of the other. It certainly appears that Anaheim is a byproduct of Los Angeles, and if Metro LA never existed or fell off the map, Anaheim / OC wouldn't be what it is. Whether residents like it or not, LA will always be considered the socio-economic-cultural center of influence for that region.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Anaheim Ducks are the only reason we even think of "Anaheim" being a legit location name to begin with. The Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim during their final years in southern California, and the Angels were known as the California Angles for 31 years while in Anaheim.

When the Mighty Ducks entered the NHL they had to work out a deal with the Los Angeles Kings, seeing as the Ducks would be infringing on the Kings' media market. Part of the deal, if I remember correctly, was that the Ducks couldn't brand themselves as a Los Angeles team. So they went with Anaheim. Had that not been part of the deal, had they Ducks entered the league as the Los Angeles Mighty Ducks (or Mighty Ducks of Los Angeles), no one would question Anaheim-based teams using the Los Angeles moniker.

The Anaheim Ducks are the only reason we even think of "Anaheim" being a legit location name to begin with. The Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim during their final years in southern California, and the Angels were known as the California Angles for 31 years while in Anaheim.

When the Mighty Ducks entered the NHL they had to work out a deal with the Los Angeles Kings, seeing as the Ducks would be infringing on the Kings' media market. Part of the deal, if I remember correctly, was that the Ducks couldn't brand themselves as a Los Angeles team. So they went with Anaheim. Had that not been part of the deal, had they Ducks entered the league as the Los Angeles Mighty Ducks (or Mighty Ducks of Los Angeles), no one would question Anaheim-based teams using the Los Angeles moniker.

Well I think that another big reason they went with the "Anaheim" moniker is that they were a Disney entity and Disneyland is based in Anaheim, which is also one of the biggest reasons Disney decided to buy the Angels. I think the biggest reason Anaheim is looking like an ideal location is because thats just the city around the Orange County area that sports have decided to cling too and I believe the Orange County area can support their own teams without the Los Angeles connection.

Well I think that another big reason they went with the "Anaheim" moniker is that they were a Disney entity and Disneyland is based in Anaheim, which is also one of the biggest reasons Disney decided to buy the Angels. I think the biggest reason Anaheim is looking like an ideal location is because thats just the city around the Orange County area that sports have decided to cling too and I believe the Orange County area can support their own teams without the Los Angeles connection.

It has also helped that the Anaheim based teams have been more successful in the past decade than the Los Angeles based teams (at least in the sports where both markets have teams). That right there is what could raise the status of Orange County sports to where it can eventually become self sufficient.

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

I think the Kings ought to consider moving to Seattle. Stern REALLY wants a team back up there anyway, plus as a bonus Seattle is located in King County, Washington.

Stern expects another team in Seattle.

If it were me, I might alter the colors to an Emerald Green and Blue, call the team the Seattle Sea Kings and have a new logo with Poseidon wielding a trident.

Everybody wins. The league gets a team back in a major West Coast market, Seattle gets a team back - even if it isn't the Sonics and there isn't another team infringing on a market that already has two other teams in it. I'm sure it's easier to get a flight to Las Vegas from Seattle than it is from Sacramento anyway.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I think the Kings ought to consider moving to Seattle. Stern REALLY wants a team back up there anyway, plus as a bonus Seattle is located in King County, Washington.

Stern expects another team in Seattle.

If it were me, I might alter the colors to an Emerald Green and Blue, call the team the Seattle Sea Kings and have a new logo with Poseidon wielding a trident.

Everybody wins. The league gets a team back in a major West Coast market, Seattle gets a team back - even if it isn't the Sonics and there isn't another team infringing on a market that already has two other teams in it. I'm sure it's easier to get a flight to Las Vegas from Seattle than it is from Sacramento anyway.

That story you linked to is from 2009. Last week, during All-Star weekend lead-up, Stern repeatedly stated that Seattle does not have a proper facility.

Case closed for a SAC move there.

Plus, why would the Maloofs, who earned their fortune as a beer distributor, before sports and casinos, even fly commercial?

Archived