Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

Why cant they do the logical thing and move the Clippers to Anaheim. Give that team an identity, and not steal the Kings identity by having them act as a tenant to the Ducks. A Ducks team that would not exist if the Kings did not trade for Wayne Gretzky btw.

Because the Clippers owner wants them at Staples Center where he has a sweetheart lease, and they're close to his and his buddies homes in Malibu. They won't drive to Anaheim for the same reason the majority of OC fans won't drive to Staples... it's too damn far and takes too long in LA's nightmare traffic. Remember the Clippers aren't an NBA team so much as they're someone's personal plaything.

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why cant they do the logical thing and move the Clippers to Anaheim. Give that team an identity, and not steal the Kings identity by having them act as a tenant to the Ducks. A Ducks team that would not exist if the Kings did not trade for Wayne Gretzky btw.

Because the Clippers owner wants them at Staples Center where he has a sweetheart lease, and they're close to his and his buddies homes in Malibu. They won't drive to Anaheim for the same reason the majority of OC fans won't drive to Staples... it's too damn far and takes too long in LA's nightmare traffic. Remember the Clippers aren't an NBA team so much as they're someone's personal plaything.

Thats what makes them the worst franchise in the history of sports.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Kings should forget about Anaheim and just go to Seattle and become the new Supersonics.

Well said, but I wouldn't have a problem with the idea of the Las Vegas Kings. I mean, point-shaving and gambling go hand-in-hand, right?

Beyond the joke though, with UNLV proposing the idea of a new stadium and the league's foray into the Las Vegas market before in terms of the All-Star Game, I think it would be a perfect fit. The only worry I would have would be the Las Vegas economy, and professional basketball competing with their nightlife on a day-to-day basis.

The Kings should forget about Anaheim and just go to Seattle and become the new Supersonics.

Well said, but I wouldn't have a problem with the idea of the Las Vegas Kings. I mean, point-shaving and gambling go hand-in-hand, right?

Beyond the joke though, with UNLV proposing the idea of a new stadium and the league's foray into the Las Vegas market before in terms of the All-Star Game, I think it would be a perfect fit. The only worry I would have would be the Las Vegas economy, and professional basketball competing with their nightlife on a day-to-day basis.

Las Vegas is the "base" of the Maloof family so if there was any possibility at all of them moving there, they would be. The fact that they're this close to going to Anaheim (without selling the team) shows just how possible, or rather not possible, a move to Sin City is. For anyone.

Las Vegas is the "base" of the Maloof family so if there was any possibility at all of them moving there, they would be. The fact that they're this close to going to Anaheim (without selling the team) shows just how possible, or rather not possible, a move to Sin City is. For anyone.

Personally, I think three teams in Southern California is going to over-saturate the market with professional basketball. Plus, the Lakers practically are Southern California's basketball team, so this seems like a temporary move, and a bad one at that.

Personally, I think three teams in Southern California is going to over-saturate the market with professional basketball. Plus, the Lakers practically are Southern California's basketball team, so this seems like a temporary move, and a bad one at that.

That pretty much sums up what's wrong with this possible move. Well said.

Now while I don't pay much attention to basketball, I know well enough that the Clippers are already holding the "other team" status in LA. Does this mean that the Anaheim Kings would effectively become the other other team?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

That pretty much sums up what's wrong with this possible move. Well said.

Now while I don't pay much attention to basketball, I know well enough that the Clippers are already holding the "other team" status in LA. Does this mean that the Anaheim Kings would effectively become the other other team?

Pretty much. I would imagine they would share the Honda Center with the Ducks, and basically become the poor man's team in Southern California. Plus, you've got the Clippers fielding an up-and-coming team, with some outstanding young talent Griffin/Gordon/Bledsoe. I mean, really, who in the hell is going to watch DeMarcus Cousins or Tyreke Evans, when you have Kobe Bryant or Blake Griffin, just up the road?

Kobe Byrant

-

-

-

Blake Griffin

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

The entire Kings' roster.

I mean, there is a difference.

Another thing to factor is broadcasting rights...

A move to Anaheim, being that it's already part of the nation's second-largest TV market, will garner the Kings much needed revenue. As I posted this past week in the NBA thread, the Lakers are launching their own networks after next season, and that frees up broadcast dates for the Kings (or whatever they would called), but in the interim, they would have ink a deal with one of the local over-the-air stations (perhaps like KTLA, KCOP, or KDOC) just to ensure that their games are televised. You already have a crowded roster of teams split between the local Fox Sports networks, which would mean that an overflow network has to be created, and more than likely, they would be third in priority behind the Lakers and Clippers in scheduling.

A move to San Jose, means moving to TV market #6; however, it would very likely that the Kings would keep their broadcast rights package with Comcast SportsNet California, but with an increase in rights fees seeing as they're moving to a much larger TV market (Sacramento is ranked 20th in TV market size). CSN California is readily available in the Bay Area (they're the exclusive TV home of the Sharks and A's), but because the Warriors claim territorial exclusivity in the Bay Area, the Kings' games can't seen there (and vice-versa for the Warriors in the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto market). Like someone else mentioned, the Warriors will demand a ton of compensation for the Kings encroaching on their territory. Of course, the same thing would happen if the Kings would decide to move to Southern California, although since the Ducks/Honda Center people said that they would loan the Maloofs money to cover the relocation.

If this move were to go through, I highly doubt they'd retain the "Kings" name. I think they should go back to the "Royals" name they originally had before moving to KC (obviously to remove confusion with the baseball team), so you'd expect something similar to avoid confusion with the LA Kings.

.. or how about they just move back to KC... I hear they have an arena...

Best idea yet. The market's already crowded with the Lakers and Clippers. One more would be a little to much.

The Clippers do a lot of things wrong, but I can't blame them for staying in the Staples Centre. Pro sports is, above else, a business. The Clippers' ability to draw a profit shouldn't be overlooked, especially in light of the clusterfu*k that is the Coyotes' situation.

If this move were to go through, I highly doubt they'd retain the "Kings" name. I think they should go back to the "Royals" name they originally had before moving to KC (obviously to remove confusion with the baseball team), so you'd expect something similar to avoid confusion with the LA Kings.

.. or how about they just move back to KC... I hear they have an arena...

Best idea yet. The market's already crowded with the Lakers and Clippers. One more would be a little to much.

The Clippers do a lot of things wrong, but I can't blame them for staying in the Staples Centre. Pro sports is, above else, a business. The Clippers' ability to draw a profit shouldn't be overlooked, especially in light of the clusterfu*k that is the Coyotes' situation.

Plus, they do have history there, a beautiful arena in the Sprint Center, and could rock those sweet blue and red throwbacks again (for some of the games, not all of them).

Exactly. KC has an arena, the team has a history there. The NBA would be the only game in town for most of basketball season. Seems like a perfect match.

Not if you count the Chiefs and the Royals. But, who goes to Royals games anyways? ^_^

Plus, despite their appearance in them this year, the Chiefs aren't known for their deep playoff runs.

Exactly. KC has an arena, the team has a history there. The NBA would be the only game in town for most of basketball season. Seems like a perfect match.

Not if you count the Chiefs and the Royals. But, who goes to Royals games anyways? ^_^

Plus, despite their appearance in them this year, the Chiefs aren't known for their deep playoff runs.

This is very true. But, sooner or later I think the Chiefs will be on the rise. Will it ever get them to the promise land? Doubtful, but they'll have a draw.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

No but they do draw crowds no matter how bad they're playing. Still, being a once a week thing for only 8 (9?) times guaranteed, they're not the issue. Really the only downside to a KC move lies with the Maloofs. I see why they want to go to Anaheim; piece of a large market, but it just seems like a plan destined to backfire. I only see NY as a market that could get 3 teams in any of the leagues. That being said, it's not likely at all but having a team in LA and Anaheim AND San Diego would be the ideal split of SoCal, like in MLB. But sadly San Diego doesn't seem interested in the NBA.

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I don't think they're the worst in sports anymore. The (Sacramento) Kings, the Pirates, the Hornets, the Marlins, the Grizzlies, the (Florida) Panthers, the Islanders, the Coyotes, etc. would all rank below the Clippers.

Remember, Sterling has consistently spent more on the team in the past decade. The Clips have a state-of-the-art training facility now thanks to him that is the envy of the league. Not only that, but he has an up-and-coming team with a bona fide star player (Griffin). Granted, they're not among the best obviously, but they're improving.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Sacramento Kings moving to Anaheim?

Terrible idea.

Not only because there are 2 NBA teams in the Los Angeles market (Lakers and Clippers), but also there's an NHL team in L.A. called the Kings.

I'd rather have them stay in Sacramento (in hopes that a new arena gets built) or move them to San Jose, Las Vegas, or even Louisville, Kentucky. ANYWHERE BUT ANAHEIM!!!

My bet is that they move to San Jose (and the Clippers move to Anaheim).

YOZXkBG.png?1

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I don't think they're the worst in sports anymore. The (Sacramento) Kings, the Pirates, the Hornets, the Marlins, the Grizzlies, the (Florida) Panthers, the Islanders, the Coyotes, etc. would all rank below the Clippers.

Remember, Sterling has consistently spent more on the team in the past decade. The Clips have a state-of-the-art training facility now thanks to him that is the envy of the league. Not only that, but he has an up-and-coming team with a bona fide star player (Griffin). Granted, they're not among the best obviously, but they're improving.

The Pirates are the worst team in the last 20 years they have won five World Series and have a great ballpark.

The Kings had some success in the early 2000's were screwed by the refs in 2002 and play in a city that clearly is not a major league town, and that hurts their chances of contending.

The Grizzlies suck maybe they are as bad as the Clippers, but the Clippers have a 20 year head start on them.

The Hornets just had a bad owner, but they have a star player and are capable of contending last year was a fluke they missed the playoffs as Chris Paul was hurt.

The Marlins have won two World Series titles and despite their fire sales their football stadium they manage to not be as bad as they could be.

The Florida Panthers are the most irrelevant team in sports history. Even mentioning them here gives them more attention than they deserve.

The Islanders had a dynasty 30 years ago they have had a rough 20 years but that dynasty still means something.

The Coyotes are battling for first place as we speak they are just an ill-placed team that if they moved to a market that cared about hockey would do well.

The Clippers have always been awful they have won one playoff series since leaving Buffalo they have only made the playoffs 4 times in 35 years in a Sport where 16 teams make the playoffs. They have finished in last place countless times. They have lost 50 or more even more times. They have never had a star player that they have been able to keep healthy or keep from leaving. They share an arena with the biggest and most successful team in the same period of time. Their logo with different colors and a different font is similar to that same team. Maybe their stock is rising but they have such a bad history they have to wear that mark Worst Franchise in the History of Sports until they can at least become a contender that is considered a lock to make the playoffs every year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Terrible idea.

Not only because there are 2 NBA teams in the Los Angeles market (Lakers and Clippers), but also there's an NHL team in L.A. called the Kings.

Agreed of 1 of 2 points. Because, they'd probably rebrand the club...Maybe...

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Terrible idea.

Agreed of 1 of 2 points. Because, they'd probably rebrand the club...Maybe...

Not necessarily.

Archived